right ok,
i was just wondering,
how fast do you actually have to be to be able to shred?
like, if i was to play 16 notes at say 100 bpm, would that be shredding?
or is that too slow?
There is no technical definition of what shreds. As long as you're wailing, you're shredding.
im pretty sure there was a thread about this the other day...
it doesnt really matter, as long as it sounds fast, 'fast' is sort of hard to define
for me personally theres a sort of cutoff point about 150bpm maybe, but then a lot of shredders are going far beyond that
The fastist shred was Vai at 28 notes a second.... the faster shredders are around 220bpm but the tone is also inportant and various advanced styles like Sweep pickin and legato are commonly used...

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
I read somewhere recently (on this site) that shred started at about 10 NPS if you were really going to determine what speed shred started at.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Tenacious D'er
The fastist shred was Vai at 28 notes a second.... the faster shredders are around 220bpm but the tone is also inportant and various advanced styles like Sweep pickin and legato are commonly used...

I don't think Vai's ever reached 28nps, though I know the tapping part in The Riddle is at least 20. If you want to find the fastest, better to look at Shawn Lane Farreri.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
[quote="'[charlie_j"]']right ok,
i was just wondering,
how fast do you actually have to be to be able to shred?
like, if i was to play 16 notes at say 100 bpm, would that be shredding?
or is that too slow?

There is no official "shred speed", just opinions. Its fair to say though that 16th notes at 100 bpm isnt all that fast. depending on what was being performed at that speed, I would most likley not consider it shred. 16ths at 150 and beyond is closer to what my opinion of shredding speed would be. Others will disagree and say it has to be faster..... the point is.... its opinions. keep in mind that while shred is the most obvious defining factor in shred, their are other characteristics to be aware of. This article from Wiki does a decent job of pointing them out:

"shred guitar or shred refers to lead electric guitar playing that relies heavily on fast passages; the act of playing fast passages on an electric guitar is termed ‘shredding’. It is not a musical definition but a fairly subjective cultural term used by guitarists and enthusiasts of guitar music."

"The most basic form of shred guitar are based on a two- or three-octave scale or mode, played ascending and descending at a fast tempo. This run or lick can be played by individually picking all, or a selection, of the notes, using techniques such as alternate picking, or economy picking. Alternatively, the lick can be played by multiple-picking notes (tremolo picking), or picking just the first or second note of a string followed by a rapid succession of hammer-ons and/or pull-offs (legato).
Sweep picking is used to play extremely rapid arpeggios across the fretboard (sometimes on all strings). The tapping technique is used to play rapid flourishes of notes or to play arpeggios or scalar patterns using pure legato with no picking. Various techniques are used to perform passages with wide intervals, and to create a flowing legato sound. Some performers make complex combinations of tapping and sweep picking."
- Wiki
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 28, 2008,