So, a teachers strike happened on thursday and me and some of my mates got to have a jam in a music room. I brought along my $40 eBay practice combo amp, one mate brought along his slightly bigger amp and another one brought along his 4x12 cabinet+head bass amp. Anywho, I cranked up my amp to max (max dist, max volume, max equalization) and so did my friend (minus the max equalization) with the slightly bigger amp and he drowned me out completely: my amp was barely audible. We plan on entering a battle of the bands soon and being a rhythm guitarist I won't stand a chance with my $40 eBay practice combo amp! I've got $700-600 Australian to spend.

I've been playing for 2 months now, sure enough I don't know much about music but it's so much fun (we got to play in front of the Applicable Maths class on that day too :P), even with a song I've never heard before: Californication. I didn't know how to play the riff so I tried some improvisation that I thought sounded good: even one of my mates said that I should record some of my improvisations and sell them off :P

Anyways, back to the point: real man's amp, within price range. Preferably solid state amps, since there are numerous ways you can accidentaly blow up your valve amp and money is short so I can't afford fried valve amps.

Edit: We are playing metal/classic rock: stuff like ZZ Top, AC/DC and hopefully some Black Sabbath too
Last edited by Tr0janV0dka at Feb 28, 2008,
Peavey Valveking all the way. Get a 212. About $600 US. not sure how that works out in yalls currency. anyways its a wise investment. one of the best practice amps out there. plus its still loud enough to be pumped to play gigs since its 100W.
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

The only thing I saw under 700 on that link was the epiphone valve standard. If it's like the valve junior, then it would work for your stuff. You'll probably have a hard time getting cleans at gigging volume though. Make sure to look used.
A wise man is not wise because of his wiseness, but because of his manness.

Quote by floppypick
Penis.. do digimon have them?
http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=5542
+
http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=5885

Total: $800

$100 over budget, puts me on a level playing field with the bass player.

Ok so it's a half cabinet, bash me, spam me, hate me, whatever, but it's like $500 cheaper than the Peavey valve combo amp. Yes, I read the other thread about "how much half cabinets suck" and "how much SS half cabinets are even worse" and to be honest, I live in a town full of stoned out derros: all they want is their eardrums to be blown and to have fun. If I still sound **** when it comes to battle of the bands time, I'll just let the lead guitarist use the quad box and I'll use his amp.
^ I was about to suggest that 1/2 stack as a joke post. Seriously
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Wow, I can't figure out most of the things the TS is saying. But it makes me want to buy a half cab and a quad box, whatever that means.
Quote by Tr0janV0dka
http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=5542
+
http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=5885

Total: $800

$100 over budget, puts me on a level playing field with the bass player.

Ok so it's a half cabinet, bash me, spam me, hate me, whatever, but it's like $500 cheaper than the Peavey valve combo amp. Yes, I read the other thread about "how much half cabinets suck" and "how much SS half cabinets are even worse" and to be honest, I live in a town full of stoned out derros: all they want is their eardrums to be blown and to have fun. If I still sound **** when it comes to battle of the bands time, I'll just let the lead guitarist use the quad box and I'll use his amp.

No. Behringer amps are awful. Never get a cheap half stack unless it's a clean one.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Dude i've seen used Randall RH50TC go for for about $750 on Ebay, How long away is battle of the bands? Just keep an eye on ebay.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by Tr0janV0dka
So, a teachers strike happened on thursday and me and some of my mates got to have a jam in a music room. I brought along my $40 eBay practice combo amp, one mate brought along his slightly bigger amp and another one brought along his 4x12 cabinet+head bass amp. Anywho, I cranked up my amp to max (max dist, max volume, max equalization) and so did my friend (minus the max equalization) with the slightly bigger amp and he drowned me out completely: my amp was barely audible. We plan on entering a battle of the bands soon and being a rhythm guitarist I won't stand a chance with my $40 eBay practice combo amp! I've got $700-600 Australian to spend.

I've been playing for 2 months now, sure enough I don't know much about music but it's so much fun (we got to play in front of the Applicable Maths class on that day too :P), even with a song I've never heard before: Californication. I didn't know how to play the riff so I tried some improvisation that I thought sounded good: even one of my mates said that I should record some of my improvisations and sell them off :P

Anyways, back to the point: real man's amp, within price range. Preferably solid state amps, since there are numerous ways you can accidentaly blow up your valve amp and money is short so I can't afford fried valve amps.

Edit: We are playing metal/classic rock: stuff like ZZ Top, AC/DC and hopefully some Black Sabbath too

You could get a Traynor amp for about $650 US dollars. I'm not sure how easy they will be able to find in Australia though.
You wont be able to get much for that in the way of new tube amps down here mate, where you located? To all the yanks that post, we get RIPPPPED on your amps. I can buy and Engl Fireball halfstack cheaper than a 6505 head. Anyway TS i suggest this http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/ashton/vp30.htm its a great amp for the price, all tube, gets pretty nice and crunchy. Also see if you can get a Tube Screamer to boost it:-) It will easily be loud enough for gigs and if your other guitarist trys to drown you out, tel him what forsaknazrael said.
Quote by nirvallica
You wont be able to get much for that in the way of new tube amps down here mate, where you located? To all the yanks that post, we get RIPPPPED on your amps. I can buy and Engl Fireball halfstack cheaper than a 6505 head. Anyway TS i suggest this http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/ashton/vp30.htm its a great amp for the price, all tube, gets pretty nice and crunchy. Also see if you can get a Tube Screamer to boost it:-) It will easily be loud enough for gigs and if your other guitarist trys to drown you out, tel him what forsaknazrael said.

That is probably the best idea out of everyone here.
Quote by Tr0janV0dka
I need a real man's amp...

Pfft! A "real man's" amp.

A real man can play through this, and make it sound great:

Maybe what you need more than a new amp, is to kick your friends' asses.
If they're drowning you out, they aren't listening.
If they aren't listening, they aren't worth a shit.
Go for the tone you're after, at a volume that's appropriate to the room.
If they still drown you out, throttle the bastards.

Or jamb the headstock of your guitar up their ass.
... a real attention-getter.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Pfft! A "real man's" amp.

A real man can play through this, and make it sound great:

I dunno about you, but i'd love to take that onstage
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Seems like that guitar is getting a lot of attention tonight eh SYK? I hope it doesn't iraculously turn snot green or change fret count!
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Ashton... probably the most trashed-talked brand by all my mates: they say buy anything BUT an Ashton. They can't stress this enough.

On the day we were in a pretty small room, so that could be why my poor amp got drowned out so easily. However, I assume the venue the battle of the bands will be hosted at will be of decent size, so the others will crank their amps up and I'll be drowned out again.

As for where I live: Western Australia, so I'll prolly get 2x as ripped off than the eastern states. Gah I hate this country sometimes, computer parts are damn expensive and so is guitar equipment.

Edit: As for the Battle of the Bands, registration date ends 29th of March so I got plenty of time decide on a rig, but the sooner I can hunt one down, discuss with my friends etc the better.
Last edited by Tr0janV0dka at Feb 29, 2008,
Well, have you tried an Ashton?

If you try it out, and like how it sounds, who cares what they think?

Of course they trash it, they know about brands like Peavey, Vox, Randall, Fender and Marshall, and think they're teh pwnage. But in the end, the best way to choose an amp is to use your own ears.

Your amp got drowned out because it is pretty puny, and there weren't being respectful of a band situation.
Trust me man, atleast try it. It is fantastic for the price. Its about the only valve amp you can afford and will own other amps in that price range. And it will EASILY do a battle of the bands. forsaknazrael is right again, they probably think fender, marhsall, vox, peavey etc are sweet amps. Let them. Its what you think that counts. Plus, i'll mail you $10 if everyone at your gig says the other guitarist had better tone than you.
Oh and if you can go used try hunt down a Orange Tiny terror and Epiphone 1x12. Fantastic little amp, distortion will easily get over drums, cleans may not be great for a gig un-miked, but all the Battle of the bands i've played have been miked.
peavey valveking 112
roland cube 60
vox ad50vt
ashton vp30/50

go to a shop and try them out and pick your favourite based on what it sounds like not what your friend says about the brand
Ok, well I checked up on the BotB website and you require a minimum of 4 songs, 2 of which need to be original works. Our band has been together for 2 days :P, so I don't think we can reach the requirements within a month as the BotB is 2 days after registration ends (we are still down a singer and drummer - we have begun advertising however) and tbh I still have LOTS to learn (also in a month? something tells me it's not gonna happen: School has preference, I want to go to Uni - I'm in Yr12) so I'd be letting the rest of the band down even if I got the necessary gear.

However, our guy on the drum machine is 'friendly' with one of the judges, if you catch my drift :P

Edit: My post might sound pessimistic, but I'm being realistic here.
Last edited by Tr0janV0dka at Feb 29, 2008,
gotta love WA teachers. STRIKE! wat school u go to? applic maths liks nuts ey. everyones rite about the whole gear being expensive in AU issue. cheap tube amps = non existent. if ur worried about volume get a FM212R or something. ****test amp (SS) out but 100W for $400. as far as tube amps go i guess an epi valve standard like someone else said... tiny terrors not a bad idea but u need the cabinet as well so probly out of price range. are there any people you know who you can borrow an amp off? Writing 2 songs in a month is def possible... but requires a band! get ur band setup and jammen as soon and often as possible. that way you'll be a tite unit by BoB. a tite unit with **** songs is way betta to hear than a loosey goosey one with ok songs. oh yeah and uni is definitely overrated. i just dropped out to do music at tafe