ok i keep hearin around here a windsor sounds like a JCM 800 so i finally looked the Windsor up and.... please tell me how it`s only $400 NEW.....

is this head really that great??? , i`m not to worried about cleans, i want gain. now how will a Peavey Windsor head compare to a JCM 2000 DSL, the DSL is $1200 used but i`m hoping i can talk them down to $1000 but thats still more the twice the price of the peavy.... i`m having a hard time believing a $400 head can hold a candle to a tubed Marshall.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-HalfStack?sku=485059

i was looking at that 1/2 stack... i`m guessing the cab is crap??

so in high gain and tone which one do you think will win out the JCM2000 DSL or the Windsor?

i`m gonna be up to just under $1000 march 1st. i really want a Marshall but the Peavy at $400 and it`s all tube, i really gotta consider it.
The Peavey will sound more like a JCM800. The DSL will be more modern sounding and IMO isn't that good compared to classic tube marshalls. If I were you, I would buy the Windsor and get it modded. It would be great and much better than the DSL for cheaper IMO. You could also check out Ceriatone. They make Marshall clones which are almost exact copies of good Marshalls for around $600 for the head.
The Cab is nice but the speakers are not great, What type of style are you going for? High gain is a pretty broad term. Cereatone would work, but with a 1000 dollars you should easly be able to find a jcm 800 in good shape. Peronally I like the DSLs they are more modern but still retain the Marshall feel and sound, and think it would be better than the peavey. The peavey is a poor mans tube amp, you can do better with 1000 dollar budget.
With your budget, you could easily find a real JCM 800. The Windsor has a lot of gain, but it seems very loose on the bottom end, no definition or articulation at all. For $400, it's one of the best values out there, but if you want a real Marshall sound & can afford it, just get a real Marshall (an old one, not the new overpriced crap). Or save up a little more & get an Orange Rocker 30. Even better. And new.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
well the music i play is alot of Slayer.... and the stuff my band writes is very thrash metal type stuff

i have yet to play the JCM 2000 i will soon though

and tryin to find a used JCM800 here is insane... i WANT one though,... but a new one the JCM800KK2203 is $1900 , i`m in Canada, are prices are higher here. i don`t know why though... the dollers are the same now

Right now i`m leaning to the JCM2000 for the simple reason it`s the only head at the music store thats tubed that i can afford.... unless i went with a new Line 6 100HD valve.

they got Marshall`s Mesa`s and Kranks there.... but most of them are over $1800. oh they got Vox there too now.
Quote by Johnbryant
^+1 but it only comes in combo from.

Yeah thats a great amp. I'm really not sure about the genre's you play though...I haven't listened to enough Slayer to know what I'm talking about but I THINK that the Windsor is going to be too vintage sounding to get the tone your looking for. If you want more of a high gain sound (which I assume you do) then look into the Peavey 5150 and look at some Mesa's.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Johnbryant
^+1 but it only comes in combo from.

and why does it need to be a halfstack??
Are you playing stadiums?
Even dave grohl uses a combo. You don't need a halfstack.
Quote by soul_power
Yeah thats a great amp. I'm really not sure about the genre's you play though...I haven't listened to enough Slayer to know what I'm talking about but I THINK that the Windsor is going to be too vintage sounding to get the tone your looking for. If you want more of a high gain sound (which I assume you do) then look into the Peavey 5150 and look at some Mesa's.

Actually Kerry King uses a JCM800 slightly modded with 6l6's, so its not too far off.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by soul_power

well... Slayer tone, is generally preety heavy... 5150 anyone? that is, if you can't find a used JCM800...
Quote by kool98769

Actually Kerry King uses a JCM800 slightly modded with 6l6's, so its not too far off.

actually im pritty sure his is kt88's. or atleast his signature marshall is...
of course the DSLs better you arent paying for nothing but the windsor is also very good im looking at it myself now thats how i found ur thread. with ur money u could always get it modded - theres some good vids on youtube of modded windsors and they do sound great and quite like a marshall. The windsor gets slated a lot but thats because its constantly being compared to marshalls 3 times the price. For the moneythe windsor is brilliant and with a mod its even better.
Althought the cab that comes with the winsor is pretty much crap and that might affect peoples view of the sound coming from the head. If i was u id get the windsor and get it modded then fork out for a better cab.
best signature ever
The gain on the Windsor is good, it retains the old Marshall feel. Mine decided to eat two sets of tubes. The gain is plenty good enough for Slayer with a good OD pedal. The cab sucks.

I would go with the DSL. I'm about to purchase one myself.
LOL i shoulda did a poll... but so far the Marshall is winning.

Keep hearing about modding a head, do you just put hotter tubes in? because i was thinking i`d probly if i get the JCM2000 put the same tubes that King`s sig head has, not right away though, only if it needs it.

I`d look into a mesa they got a few at the store i go to, pretty much all the ones that everyone here raves about, but there too expenive for me, if i had that kind of cash i`d be bringing home a new JCM800, and and everyone hear says there really dark sounding which is great for Death metal but not really what i`m looking for, the one guy that owns a JCM2000DSL says it has alot of treble to it which i`m not sure if thats good either but if it has alot of low end and alot of treble if you want it, i`d like that, it`s better to have more then you need so atleast you can`t run out, The mesa i tryed.. at very low levels but i had the treble cranked to the max to get the highs to show through, if it`s like that at high volume levels too i wouldn`t want that... unless thats something a EQ would fix, i`d have to spend alot of time with it, see if i could dial it in.

if i do get the DSL i was thinking too if i need more gain i could get a tube screamer or a boss DS-1 i think it`s DS-1 LOL... but my main guitar has a Gain switch built right into it and i`m thinking i`m gonna do the 18V mod to my guitar too... so i don`t think i`m gonna be lacking in gain.

I didn't say he needed a half stack, He just said he looking into a half stack. So I was just pointing out the the facts about the traynor.
TS forget the DS1 find a nice tube screamer, Look into a peavey XXX, they have more of a messa feel to them, or a 6505/5150 they are awesome for hard rock-metal if you can live without good cleans. But I really don't know the sound you are looking for, whats another band that has the sound you are looking for.
Quote by Slayerdeath

if i do get the DSL i was thinking too if i need more gain i could get a tube screamer or a boss DS-1 i think it`s DS-1 LOL... but my main guitar has a Gain switch built right into it and i`m thinking i`m gonna do the 18V mod to my guitar too... so i don`t think i`m gonna be lacking in gain.

the DSL doesn't have enough gain?

the dsl has more gain than you'd ever need.
Ok, bands i`m into are... Slayer, Pantera, Megadeth (older stuff) OLD MetallicA pre black album, Iron Maiden, Lamb of God But i don`t play any LoG because i don`t like drop D but there tone is alright.

But basicly the big 3 thrash metal bands.. Slayer, Megadeth and MetallicA .. which i`m sure they all used Marshalls and i know Slayer still does.

i asked b4 about the Peavy XXX there was 1 forsale in my town for $1000 for the head used i diddn`t have the cash at the time but i asked about it here and pretty much everyone said run away from it.

and i diddn`t say the DSL doesn`t have enuff gain.... I hope it does have more gain then i`ll ever know what to do with LOL... it`s better to have more then you need then not enuff. i know it does have 2 gain knobs, but like i said i have yet to play one.

Oh and the Line 6 Vetta II well being WAYYYYY out of my price range it`s like $2000 new sounded really good, i was at a concert right up at the stage and acouple of the bands used them, they sounded really nice to me.
1000 dollars is to high for xxx head used. I would look into a combo, they are very loud and are a lot easier to move. They are no longer making them but they are all over ebay, under 600 dollars heads are about the same price. You really need to play one first though, the crunch channel is very marsall, plus you can put EL34 power tubes in it to make it more British voiced.
Damn, i wonder if he still has the XXX forsale, but like i said everything here is more expenive then what your used to in the states

Theres a guy selling a Mesa F-50 combo for $799 firm used... but i am wanting a 1/2 stack theres a Marshall JCM2000 401 DSL at the store for $600 but it`s a combo and i really do want a 1/2 stack.
^^ AHHHHH LOL

damn it, maybe i should e-mail him to see if he still has it

but can you explain why the F-50 would tear the DSL apart? and are you talkin about the DSL Combo or head... or both

Damnit... oops it`s not a F-50 it`s a Mesa Boogie. Heres what it says in the ad for it:

This is a handmade (USA) 50 watt, 2-channel, all-tube, ‘Class A’, EL84-equipped guitar amp and is a rare find indeed – people who buy them never sell them! Other features include a lush, full-sounding reverb, factory upgraded 5-band graphic EQ, the original Celestion-made 12” speaker, a recording-out jack, 2 external speaker jacks, an effects loop, self-biasing (for simple tube changes), original footswitch, and even a slip cover!
I’ve owned a Dual Rectifier (one-dimensional) and a couple of the entry-level, sterile-sounding ‘F’- series models (F30 combo and F50 head) and this amp smoked those three when it came to its tone and versatility. Imagine an amp that can be used for country, jazz/fusion, blues, classic rock, hard rock, punk, garage and all types of heavy metal – THIS IS THAT AMP!
I am the 2nd owner and this amp has NEVER been gigged with or abused. It has recently been serviced and it is in BRAND NEW CONDITION – which is amazing since it is over 20 years old! Here is an opportunity to buy a boutique-level amp at the reasonable and firm price of $799.
*** Please note that the price is firm. Any emails requesting potential trades or movement in price will be politely ignored and deleted.
Last edited by Slayerdeath at Mar 1, 2008,
^ Mesa Boogie is the brand, F-50 is the model.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
now i`m confused LOL.... it says that, that amp will blow away a F-50, I always thought the Boogie was a model of mesa.

also he still has that amp for sale too

and i was talkin to the guy who`s selling the mesa and he said that the JCM2000 DSL`s have reliablity issues with them... is that true??? because thats bad if it is... i plan on playing that amp hard and if i ever start gigging it`s goona be my amp for gigging and i plan on hauling it around everywhere, so i just figured since it says Marshall it would be road worthy and reliable. i`m hoping once i buy my new amp which so far i`m leaning to the Marshall i`ll have it for awhile and not have to worry about buying a new one.
Last edited by Slayerdeath at Mar 1, 2008,
you really don't need a halfstack, stop with the obsession and start listening to people here.

The obvious consensus is to go with a used JCM800 or a 5150 Combo.. they will more than suffice for what you need.
if i could FIND in Canada a JCM800 combo i`d buy it

The Mesa IS a combo amp and i`m considering it too

but i do want a 1/2 stack, why not if i can get the money.

And most of the people so far have said to go with the JCM2000 DSL
sorry to double post, but i really want to know if anyones has had any issues with there JCM 2000 DSL , breaking down??? because i`ll probly be playing it with high gain and maybe even swap out the tubes for hotter ones. i`m guess the more you do to get gain the harder the amp has to work, and i really don`t want to spend so much and have it break on me 2 months later.
Kinda a late reply, but I have had a DSL 401 for 8 years and no problems...still sounds Gr8t! I'm due for new tubes, but after 8 years any tube amp would be. The amp does get hot (VERY hot) but I rub a little fan behind it and that REALLY keeps things in check. The only problem I have is that Marshall should have included a fan...duh. I mean WTF? But the fan cost me 5 bucks, so no big deal.

Oh, and I play this amp loud and often, and also use its speaker emulation DI for recording...a bitchin feature that allows feedback, etc. to be recorded into a computer/tape recording.

Anyway, you have probably already got something by now so hope you are enjoying!

Quote by Slayerdeath
sorry to double post, but i really want to know if anyones has had any issues with there JCM 2000 DSL , breaking down??? because i`ll probly be playing it with high gain and maybe even swap out the tubes for hotter ones. i`m guess the more you do to get gain the harder the amp has to work, and i really don`t want to spend so much and have it break on me 2 months later.
i think most of marshalls new stuff just lacks the quality of pretty much any other amp in the same price range... id personally go for something like the mesa rather than the marshall ... they get alot of hype from their glory days which were years ago..
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
The DSL is a versatile amp and will get you close to Slayer's sound. To my ears, the DSL has a bit of harshness and treble which you need to reduce via the EQ. For the rest the DSL heads are good value for money IMHO. No reliability issues that I know of, just plug and play really.

If you go for an used JCM800, then you still need to boost it a lot to get that type of sound. And an additional EQ. Best way is to have a mod installed to get the desired gain. In the end I traded in my DSL 100 and went for the JCM 800 2203KK. That sound is just a tad warmer and thicker.

New Marshalls still are very good, such as the JVM series, but they are not for everyone because they are modern voiced. Over here, mesa's are quite expensive. Besides if you are looking for a the sound of Slayer, it would be best to stick with Marshall.