Ok, so whenever I solo I usually just end up using the Penatonic Blues Scale in one spot. This gets very old. I can hear what sounds good, and I know how to play it, I just cant do it spur of the moment i guess (I have to hit a few frets before finding what sounds right) I was just wondering what i need to know in order to be able to improv, but use more than just the blues scale.

BTW, I have never taken lessons, and i am sure that they would have helped with the theory and knowing what notes to use.
Hello
i hear you man. i'm the exact same way. i can pretty much shred the pentatonic blues scale in 1 spot but thats about it. i think a good thing to start practicing would be the other positions of them (i think theres 5). learn that all the way up the neck. also maybe try learning some other scales. i know what i need to do, but havent really worked on anything else.
Gear nut
use the 1-4-5 method.
as in, if your soloing in E, then E counts as 1, or the 1st note.
count up to four and you end up on A, the 4th note, then count up one more and you're on B, the 5th note. these notes in turn all sound good together. it works the same if you use a different note as your 1st note, such as A. there, it'd be A, then D, and lastly, E.
use this for which key your soloing in. (as in, play the same scale but move it up the neck, using the notes that sound good as your root notes on the 6th string).
hope that helps, man. usually works for me.
ok check out this tab
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_scales/pentatonic_tab.htm

scroll down to the Em pentatonic scale..

learn it at 0 (thats the one you are probably familiar with) then learn it with your first finger on 3, then again with your first finger on 5, then again with your first finger on 7, then again with your first finger on 10. then repeat those 5 sequences with your first finger on 12 (same as 0). that way you can scale your way up and down the neck all in the key of Em, then move those 5 shapes around as needed for different keys.
Gear nut
the picture rockdj posted are the 5 patterns repeating themselves across the fretboard.
Gear nut
Get down all the scales and modes, and then see how the pentatonic fits over them. Also, you can go up in octaves anywhere. for example if you have a riff on the two lowest strings, you can put that same riff 2 strings up and 2 frets up, and that gets you an octave up the fretboard and into another shape.
www.wholenote.com

and

www.guitarists.net/scales/index.php

Both sites have a ton of scales. Learn all the positions. Learn the vertically at first until you have them memorized. Then connect them, say go up one position and down another. It's going to sound very robotic at first, but after you get to playing smoother, the scales flow smoother.

I highly recommend investing some time and money in lessons. Nothing can be better than having an experienced player show you what to do, what not to do, and how to best proceed.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I once had something on Youtube called the 'hopscotch'-method or something, which I used to learn all the pentatonic-boxes around the neck (or any other scale for that matter).

It goes like this: (Am pentatonic)

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------etc.-|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------5-7-----5-7------7-10------7-10--|
|-----5-7-----5-7------7-10------7-10---5-7-----5-7-----7-10------7-10-------|
|-5-8-----5-8-----8-10------8-10---------------------------------------------|

The idea is to take the first two pentatonic boxes and play them like the example above, up and down. (E to e, then e to E) Then on to the next boxes etc.

Box 1:

|---------------------5-8-|
|-----------------5-8-----|
|-------------5-7---------|
|---------5-7-------------|
|-----5-7-----------------|
|-5-8---------------------|

Box 2:

|---------------------8-10-|
|-----------------8-10-----|
|-------------7-9----------|
|---------7-10-------------|
|-----7-10-----------------|
|-8-10---------------------|

Take a surf in the lessons page for all the boxes. Do this consistently, and you'll be shredding it up in no time.
Learn the modes, and play up them. Since any scale can be the parent scale to the mode, the mode will contain the same notes as the scale, but will have a different root. I.E. The phrygian mode of the C Major scale would use E as the root but contain all the notes in the C major scale (C D E F G A B C). I'm just using C because theres no sharps or flats, but the basis is still the same for other scales.

Theory for guitarists helped me out a ton.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
I found something that might help... moving around with scales though that is.

http://www.shredacademy.com/lessons/j_cefalu.htm

He calls it the "Hopscotch Technique".
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Quote by MXBoy11
Wait, there is 5 spots. This is new to me.

Any given pentatonic scale contains 5 notes, that's all...that's what the "penta" refers to. Now, each of the 12 notes on the guitar appears about a dozen or so times if you include octaves and the notes all appear in a set pattern. A scale is just a selection of those notes so it'll likewise repeat all over the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
memorize the five notes then learn where they are all over the fret board that way you arent limited to the paterns
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!