So im faced with this problem.
Please help me if you can

1. what is the role of landscape architecture in the world today?

and the hardest one ive come across

2. A developer proposes to build a desperately needed low income housing within an environmentally sensitive area in your community. The municipality might oppose the development and you could be hired by the developer to make her case. How would you proceed with the situation.

basically, how what is the solution to build low income housing in an environmentally sensitive area.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
build the houses out of mud? ticks the boxes... right?

i did work exp at an architects... dont know too much more about it though, environmentally sensitive how?
PSN: Noverion
I really wish i knew, but that was all the information i was given. but i think since its low income housing, the are will be complete filth and unsanitary
Quote by Sloopy
Real World Soultion

First, research the impact the development would have to see if you even agree with building there.

Then you'd have to explain a method of building that would have the least environmental impact, e.g. using existing contours and designing around them or other stuff like that. Really just finding the "greenest" way to work around the problem.

Kind of a smart ass answer

Really if the question is how to proceed, just say you wouldn't be interested in the client (there's not much of a chance of you turning away business in the design biz from my experince, but it answers the question.)

EDIT: ^I really think they mean like a wetlands area, or area where a threatened spieces lives, something like that. If it was unsanitary the city would be happy to have you clean it up.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Last edited by jb_designs at Feb 28, 2008,
Quote by hyroglyph!c
So im faced with this problem.
Please help me if you can

1. what is the role of landscape architecture in the world today?

and the hardest one ive come across

2. A developer proposes to build a desperately needed low income housing within an environmentally sensitive area in your community. The municipality might oppose the development and you could be hired by the developer to make her case. How would you proceed with the situation.

basically, how what is the solution to build low income housing in an environmentally sensitive area.

I'm not an architect but....

1. If it's what I think it is, then it is purely aesthetic, but aesthetics are a means to an end, be it for creating a specific image for promoting a certain ideal. You could also argue it's simply to make money in a capitalist economy, which ties in with promoting a certain image eg a company's image can greatly affect the price of its stock. And landscape architecture can play a role in that.

2. How would you make the case? You just need make the economic and social benefits outweigh the negative impacts on the environment. Or at least appear to do so on paper. If this were an actual case then you would access the relevant statistics backing up your case. eg Housing deficit, average wages in the area compared to house prices, tied in with the current lending rates for mortgages etc.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling and incoherent, I'm very tired.

Edit: Obviously you would be emphasising your environmental harm mitigation strategies throughout.
...Bleep Bloop...
Wow, thanks so much guys, im combining both the answers, its really the second question thats a killer.
if anyone else has suggestions, please feel free
Quote by Sloopy