Page 1 of 2
Last minute cold feet on the Boogie..... I know what they sound like, I've played them before, I want it so bad....but people on here keep saying 5150, 5150, 5150.... but why?

I've heard sound clips from both, and the Boogie by far sounds better, but cam-made sound clips on youtube don't really do it justice....

I will have the cash to buy the boogie, but am a little nervous that a 5150 will sound better, even though all my friends here say that's not true.

I play everything from clean harmonic melodic ethereal ballads, to crushing death metal. From Clapton to Arch Enemy and In Flames. I know the 5150 has horrible cleans(or so I've heard) and I know the boogie's clean is basically an Angel recorded singing... so I'm like 80% sure on the Boogie, but I need some advice and persuasion on the other 20%.
The cleans alone would do it for me. Go with the Mesa.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
i've never played a boogie but i never actually got that impressed by the 5150
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
If you think the Mesa sounds better, get that. Don't worry about what others say. It's (presumably) your money. Tell them you'll get the 5150 if they pay for it.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Get the mesa, The 5150 has really shabby cleans, Not good for your Clapton
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
This EXACT thread was done the other day.
The 5150/6505 has a MUCH tighter low end than the Recto- the recto's low end is very loose. The gain is much more 'searing' on the 5150/6505 too.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i have a 5150, and if you want cleans go with the boogie. no doubt about it
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
The problem so far, is that I need the combination of both.... like Lonestar cleans and 5150 gain.....
I read somewhere that changing the tubes in the 5150 to something better for cleans fixed the cleans, but I imagine that the gain would suffer a bit then as well.

If you want more gain on the Mesa though, how about an OD pedal?
I actually am completly fine with the cleans on my 6505..
I have the jj high gain kt88 tube set.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
I'd definitely go for the Mesa! If you like the sound the Boogie makes, why not? At the end of the day, it's your amp and if you like it then that's all that should really matter.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I like the sounds of both amps, but for anything besides high gain metal, you'll be way happier with the Recto. I don't really like the loose low end of the Recto, but I like the tone. Like ketiov said, you could get an OD to give you the uber-gain & tighten up the low end a bit. One other thing, IMO, is that the Recto sounds much more acceptable at practice levels than the Peaveys.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Brendan.Clace
What are the gains on the Mark IV like.... never heard one??

It's a very versatile amp that can cover many tones. Lamb of God and Dream Theater use them, and I believe Metallica has at some point or another.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Lamb of God currently use them.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by riffhog
I like the sounds of both amps, but for anything besides high gain metal, you'll be way happier with the Recto. I don't really like the loose low end of the Recto, but I like the tone. Like ketiov said, you could get an OD to give you the uber-gain & tighten up the low end a bit. One other thing, IMO, is that the Recto sounds much more acceptable at practice levels than the Peaveys.

I disagree. My 5150 is never very loud except when I'm at a gig and it sounds great. It's probably one of my favourite low volume amp. And it just gets better as it gets louder.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Brendan.Clace

The gain is pretty much amazing. Everything is amazing about it. I got Pantera-like sounds yesterday from it, to show you how "brutal" it can be.
Quote by Brendan.Clace

Mark IVs have mad amounts of gain. No OD needed. Great shred metal sounds. If you get a chance to try one, be patient with it. They take a bit of fiddling with to get the best sounds, depending on what guitar you use. They seem to be fairly sensitive IMO to different guitars/pickups, not that it's a bad thing, it's good actually.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
None of these amps are any better than the other it's all about the sound you like. The reason a lot of people stick with their 6505's is because of that sound that really nothing else sounds like until you get into the slo's... I own a 6505 but honestly I kinda like the mesa triple rec a little better. But not so much better that I would have paid the extra 900 dollars or whatever for it.
Quote by ketiov
The gain is pretty much amazing. Everything is amazing about it. I got Pantera-like sounds yesterday from it, to show you how "brutal" it can be.

Pantera wasnt exactly what I had in mind.... I actually didn't like Dimebag's tone at all........ I was thinking more along the lines of Porcupine Tree, RUSH, In Flames, Breaking Benjamin, Disciple, Protest The Hero, Alexisonfire etc.... ALSO, Clapton, and again Porcupine Tree for cleans.
The Mark IV is exactly the amp you want for those kinds of tones. Srsly.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Do what I wanna do run a 5150 and next to it run a roland jazz chorus or a twin reverb to an AB switch as a clean amp. Then you get two sweet channels of distortion and one bad ass clean channel.
scary thing is... I have an 80's JC-120 sitting available to me.... but I'm thinking that I may just go Mark IV
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
go to the store and play through these amps man. That way you get real comparisons....

but, I would tell you that the Mark IV is perfect for you. That amp is just outta control amazing.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
I would recommend the Mark IV as well. Amazing cleans, great blues gain, excellent metal channel. DIfferent flavor than the rectos. The Mark is extremely adjustable, the GEQ can take it from a marshall esque tone to something like the recto's gain, and more adjusting can give you a diezel esque gain.

check out www.netmusicians.org
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
5150/6505 EVERY time for everything. I hate Rectos, they dont cut through in a live mix at all. Ive had 3 Recto's but always ended up going back to 5150/6505's. I love the sound of a rector recorded and mixed right but live they suck massive balls especially if you get em next to a 5150/powerball/diezel. They just get eaten alive.
They do have better cleans than the peavey though.

I'd look into a MKIV though too. Awesome amps
Quote by jscustomguitars
5150/6505 EVERY time for everything. I hate Rectos, they dont cut through in a live mix at all. Ive had 3 Recto's but always ended up going back to 5150/6505's. I love the sound of a rector recorded and mixed right but live they suck massive balls especially if you get em next to a 5150/powerball/diezel. They just get eaten alive.
They do have better cleans than the peavey though.

I'd look into a MKIV though too. Awesome amps

I've always heard that powerballs get lost in the mix worse than most amps out there. Diezels are beasts...I wish i had 12...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Well.... man, its hard to find sound clips out there for the Mark IV, but again, I heard the roadster, and thought it sounded absolutely wonderful.... anyone here with experience with the Dual Rec Roadster?
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Well.... man, its hard to find sound clips out there for the Mark IV, but again, I heard the roadster, and thought it sounded absolutely wonderful.... anyone here with experience with the Dual Rec Roadster?

I dunno man, did you look at that site MESAexplorer sent you? There are a ton of Mark IV clips there. Look up Zorran on Soundclick too.
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=Mesa%20Boogie%20Mark%20IV&section=amp

There are also some roadster and RK clips if you look under "All Amps"
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Brendan.Clace

I own a roadking and have tried out a roadster, which is the slightly stripped down model.

What do you want to know about em?

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I own a roadking and have tried out a roadster, which is the slightly stripped down model.

What do you want to know about em?

do they stack up against the Mark IV.... Is there a need to spend more money to get a mark IV, if the roadster can do the same thing?
Okay, I have made my final decision....

Due to the fact that the Mark IV is not as modern voiced, I'm pretty positive I'm going with the Roadster head..... is the "channel popping" present on all roadsters?
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The problem so far, is that I need the combination of both.... like Lonestar cleans and 5150 gain.....

Mesa Mark IV. But out of those 2 I would definitely go with the Mesa. Just better all-around amps IMO.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
The dualrec does not have good cleans. There not ****ty like the fiddy but they suck too none the less.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
The Mark IV may be voiced a little less modern than the rectos, but it's a tone I much prefered surprisingly. If Lamb of God and Dream Theater's tone (ones where he's not using a RK) isn't what you'd consider "modern" then they're probably not for you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2