I'm about to buy my first electric guitar. I've played acoustic for about 7-8 years and recently gotten a strong interest for an electric. I have a few questions for some more experienced electric players....

First is this a good deal? (also if there are any other deals on ebay for a american deluxe stratocaster i'd love to hear ur opinion if you see one)

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Fender-American-Deluxe-Ash-Strat-with-Case-Mint_W0QQitemZ130201136685QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47069QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So if you have any other good deals out there let me know....

Also, any recommendations on a solid amp and any other pedals and effects? (again i dont know anything here as i've only played acoustic in the past...what are the essential pedals i need to get?)

Thanks all
Last edited by kllawre210 at Feb 28, 2008,
what kind of sound are you looking for?
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
First of all... When you're starting out... A fender mexican strat is fine. You can find them quite cheap on ebay.
As for a solid amp, look into a peavey classic 30, you can find them for 350 bucks used.
And for pedals, you really don't need them, but a digitech bad monkey Overdrive would be good to boost your sound.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
and I dont know if it's somthing about your link...but my comp said the page isn't responding, may just be my comp though.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
well i have the money for a deluxe american strat...so i'd rather get that over a mexican seeing that i plan on having this thign for a LOOONG time. so i dont mind spending a little more for it. I'm just curious if $1000 for a good condition used American Strat Deluxe is a good deal. And an opinion on amps/pedals still if anyone else has some input thanks
for a pedal, I suggest a Zoom G1X, it's a multi effect and good quality, you can get one for around $80, or cheaper if there's 1 on ebay, its got just about every effect you could ask for just startn out on electric.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
and I dont know if it's somthing about your link...but my comp said the page isn't responding, may just be my comp though.

Ok i fixed the link, it should work now.
Quote by kllawre210
well i have the money for a deluxe american strat...so i'd rather get that over a mexican seeing that i plan on having this thign for a LOOONG time. so i dont mind spending a little more for it. I'm just curious if $1000 for a good condition used American Strat Deluxe is a good deal. And an opinion on amps/pedals still if anyone else has some input thanks

First of all... Don't blow all of your money on a guitar.
A fender mexican strat (very good, a set up mexican strat will beat a factory-set up american strat in playability). Only real difference is the sound IMO.

Lemme put it in this form:

Would you rather sound good and be heard better at the sacrifice of slightly lower playing comfort, or the other way around?

If you want to sound good, get a MIM strat and a good amp with the rest of the cash.
If you want the slight playing comfort increase, get the american.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by HLrocker
for a pedal, I suggest a Zoom G1X, it's a multi effect and good quality, you can get one for around $80, or cheaper if there's 1 on ebay, its got just about every effect you could ask for just startn out on electric.

I'll also add that again. I am out of college and have a real job which sucks...but i make good money. so i dont mind in investing in multiple single pedals....i'd rather buy good stuff now ( i know i'll be playing for a while)..rather than buying cheaper stuff and just upgrading it in a year or so and rendering the cheaper stuff obsolite. thanks
Ideally, you should be spending more on your amp. Your amp is 80% of your sound and therefore most of your investment should be into that.
Quote by darkarbiter7
First of all... Don't blow all of your money on a guitar.
A fender mexican strat (very good, a set up mexican strat will beat a factory-set up american strat in playability). Only real difference is the sound IMO.

Lemme put it in this form:

Would you rather sound good and be heard better at the sacrifice of slightly lower playing comfort, or the other way around?

If you want to sound good, get a MIM strat and a good amp with the rest of the cash.
If you want the slight playing comfort increase, get the american.

I want a guitar I'm going to play for 20 years. I dont mind investing a little more to get the better end.
Quote by XtAsY2007
Ideally, you should be spending more on your amp. Your amp is 80% of your sound and therefore most of your investment should be into that.

Any amp suggestions?
Quote by kllawre210
I want a guitar I'm going to play for 20 years. I dont mind investing a little more to get the better end.

What you don't understand is... The guitar really doesn't matter. As long as it plays nice. Which the mexican DOES!!! Just because it's lower in price, doesn't matter it doesn't match up with american quality. The neck is sweet to play, and the stock pickups are decent, and an upgrade set are cheap.

Your amp DOES matter though. 90% of your tone is from YOUR AMP. How are you gonna sound good if you spend all your cash (you haven't said your budget yet, i'm assuming atleast 1000 bucks) on a guitar which is only marginally better than it's cheaper counterpart.

And for amps... I'll recommend the peavey classic 30 as a good starting point.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Welcome to the wonderful world of electric guitar!

For the guitar, I'd go halfway between what most people have been suggesting and pick up an American Standard Stratocaster. It'll probably cost you a little less than a grand and it will give you an amazing guitar. Just be sure to play it before you buy it (this is why I would not recommend buying a guitar off eBay, but if you really want the Deluxe, go for it, tons of people buy stuff off eBay, I just think it's a good idea to play before you buy).

Also, the American Standard (which has just experienced a redesign) is a bit more straty than an American Deluxe. The Deluxe is technically the better and more versatile guitar and is slightly better to play thanks to the contoured heel, but the American strat has more traditional strat pickups and is more vintage than the Deluxe (which is loaded with modern features by the way).

It really depends on what you're after in terms of amps and pedals. A good clean tone is very important, especially when you play strats, and you definitely want a tube amp for that. A Fender Blues Junior is probably the best bet if you want a well-priced amp that can be loud but won't blow your ears off.

Pedals are trickier and depend on your style of music. If you listen to RHCP, pick up a Boss DS-2. If you listen to SRV, pick up a Digitech Bad Monkey. If you want a good classic rock "British" sound, I'd look into a Marshall Guv'nor....and that's just distortion. I won't even go into other effects because there are so many and a basic guitar+amp+distortion box will probably suit you for now.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Quote by kllawre210
Any amp suggestions?

You are going to want a tube amp if you are serious about your tone.

It all depends on what sound you're looking for.

If you want the classic rock sound or classic metal sound go for Marshalls like the JCM series.

If you're into the blues, go for Fender amps.

If you want ultra high gain modern metal, go for Mesa Boogie.