Page 1 of 2
i ask this because i've been playing for just over a year and i admitt i am good at what i can do rather than an good overall guitarist.
i own a epiphone les paul ultra and i have just brought a schecter c1-elite and i have rejected the idea of taking two new guitars to my guitar lesson because i think its disrespectfull to flaunt my equipment.

is this justified
why would you need two guitars at a lesson?

yes it is justified imho
tl;dr : IM BETTER THAN YOU
I had 2 guitars and a Bass 1 and 1/2 years in. I don't think it's a big problem. Although, I had a guitar that was HH and the other SSS. So I justified it for versaility. But, when you get to the point where you've been playing like 7 years like me, you will appreciate gear differences more.

I'm sure some of the people here who've been playing 10+ years can tell you.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
you don't need two at lessons, but otherwise, you can never have too many guitars.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i've been playing for 3 years and i've gone through seven guitars. i own 3 and the others i've gotten through trades and traded for others.
ok sorry for the misunderstanding, i mean you take one guitar one week, another guitar the next so they know you have two different guitars, sorry again for the confusion, i will brush up on my grammer
Quote by metaladdict123
ok sorry for the misunderstanding, i mean you take one guitar one week, another guitar the next so they know you have two different guitars, sorry again for the confusion, i will brush up on my grammer

that should be fine to alternate.
Up the Punx!
taking two guitars to a lesson is just no necessary, just one, and play the other one with your buds or at your house. and for the "how many guitars should i have" the way i see it, you have to earn the better guitars. if youve been playin for just over a year and bought a new guitar thats better, thats cool, just make sure youve earned it. everybody hates to see the guy who is terrible but owns a $1500 guitar. work your way up to better guitars
1-infinite. It doens't matter...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
i'm getting my fifth guitar in may. started with an Ibanez GSA60, then i got a standard strat, a PRS SE Custom, then a Standard Les Paul, and now im getting a PRS Custom 24.
but i've been playing for three years. but i got the first two within a year. so it's acceptable
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by metaladdict123

Grammar.

And it should be fine to alternate. It doesnt really matter.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
ive been playing 3 and a half years and i own 6 guitars and just asbout to ordermy seventh tommorow (razorback 255 if anyone cares)
but never, ever ask how many guitars is too many
you can never have too many guitars!!EVER!
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by metaladdict123
Okay sorry for the misunderstanding. I was meant to say that you take 1 guitar 1 week and another guitar the next so they know you have two different guitars. Sorry again for the Confusion. I will brush up on my grammar.

I've given you a head start in the brushing up of your grammar.

I don't think that's bad or nout. I take different guitars to school every week. It depends on the stuff i will be playing.
Sweet.
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Grammar.

And it should be fine to alternate. It doesnt really matter.

and my spelling
Buy and play as many guitars as you need, theres no set amount. I have 4 guitars - 2 are crap- one starter electric that I used to play but I took the strings off, and a really old walmart acoustic that isn't in good enough shape to place - and 2 are good - 1 electric that I play mainly, and an acoustic thats real nice.
I've been playing a little over 3 years, and I've had all those guitars since around 1.5 years ago. The cruddy acoustic I got a while back, but about 1 guitar a year for me.
Last edited by RPGoof at Feb 28, 2008,
I've been playing about one year, and I have a Squier SSS Strat and a Washburn Acoustic, but I just bought a used Fender MIM HSS Strat. I think that's ok since I really don't ever plan on touching the Squier again except maybe for a back up playing.

Anyway, if it's group lessons, no one but you will probably notice unless you tell someone, and if it's private lessons, your teacher won't judge you for it.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by metaladdict123
i ask this because i've been playing for just over a year and i admitt i am good at what i can do rather than an good overall guitarist.
i own a epiphone les paul ultra and i have just brought a schecter c1-elite and i have rejected the idea of taking two new guitars to my guitar lesson because i think its disrespectfull to flaunt my equipment.

is this justified

If you want two then have two.

Having twice as many guitars doesn't make you twice as good though.

I think a better reason not to take two guitars to a lesson is because you don't need two guitars for a lesson.

EDIT: ah, not two at the same time. I sincerely doubt your teacher would consider it flaunting. Pretentious probably though.
I find new guitarists that buy a ****load of cheap guitars annoying. They must be educated.
Originally Posted by Kensai
Thx keine_lust, I probably would've missed the chili's if it wasn't for you

SCARECROW of UG's Gotham City
Quote by metaladdict123

is this justified

ive been playing for 2 years (only taking it seriously for one) and i have three guitars and one of them is a gisbon. But yea i feel the same way. I dont usualy take my gibson when i play out, its usually my epi or my Jackson.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
ive been playing for about 3 years , i have 2 electrics and 1 acoustic

ps schecters are effin awesome
Eek, I've been playing for ~3 years and I've had 1 acoustic and 1 electric. I mean, they all do the same damn thing, just look different. The people who annoy me are the ones who get loads of really cheap guitars (i won't lie, mine was only £170, it's an Ibanez) but I mean REALLY cheap, like £50-£150, and get loads of them, then try and show them off.
Quote by guitarslutxxx
taking two guitars to a lesson is just no necessary, just one, and play the other one with your buds or at your house. and for the "how many guitars should i have" the way i see it, you have to earn the better guitars. if youve been playin for just over a year and bought a new guitar thats better, thats cool, just make sure youve earned it. everybody hates to see the guy who is terrible but owns a $1500 guitar. work your way up to better guitars

i kind of disagree with you here. what if they love playing. Ill admit i have really good gear for my amount of time playing but i play for hours every day. Guitar is a huge part of my day so i want something that sounds and plays well. I have a friend who has been playing for 6 years so of course hes better than me but he only picks up his guitar maybe a few times a week for shorter amounts of time so he has a BC rich bronze and a Line 6 spider. Of course having a guitar doesnt make you a better player but theres nothing wrong with wanting a good peice of equipment if youre going to use it.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
if youre good, and you paid for your guitars, then theres nothing wrong with that at all.

but if you suck and your mom buys you gibsons and marshalls, then everyones going to hate you.
I could see why someone would want to have a lot of guitars if they have electrics with different woods and humbuckers that sound different, and then acoustics, and whatnot. But when some buys multiple guitars made out of mahogany with the same pick ups, same neck profile, same tremolo, ect. It goes from having a variety of possibilities, to be a greedy gear hoarder, that's just pissing money away. That being said, I've been playing guitar over 3 years and I still have the same damn squier due to a lack of funds. I dream of a guitar that stays in tune for longer than 3 minutes.
I only have 2 guitars, a peavey exp predator plus (with some modification done) and a Alvarez acoustic, and thats all for me. I'm too poor to afford a higher end guitar damn college!
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
i've own 6 guitars, not including the 4 i've destroyed

i've been playing for 8 years, however, i've yet to actually learn anything
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Honestly, you should be fine alternating. The worst you'll get is a "wtf?"
I've been playing fir 3.5 years and already have 2 basses(one's A/E), a guitar, 4 amps, and share another guitar and an acoustic. (I also have a keytar...>_<
Nope, no sig here.
There's no limit of how many guitars you can have dude. If you can afford it, why not buy 20 guitars? They can be appreciated as works of art and stuff. There are plenty of people with guitars who don't even know how play at all.
not really man.

ive been playing maybe, 3 years? 4? im not sure.

but ive had (in order of ownership)
my starter kit (Ibanez Gio)
a Fender Mexican Strat
my Alvarez acoutic-electric (not sure of the model though)
a Gibson Explorer
and a Gibson Les Paul

ive also had a banjo since i was 7. but i cant play a lick on it

and i have a cheapo violin

and a Fender USA P Bass (which is really my dads, but i stoled it since he never uses it)

and im damn grateful for all of it
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I've been playing for 5 or 6 years or something, but I only took lessons for 3-4 of those. In that time I've had two guitars, one electric, one acoustic, they were both my dad's old guitars. I also got a bass for christmas a couple years ago. So yeah, you really only need one.
There is NO limit. I own 800 guitars...

ok, on a more serious note. I have 2 electrics, 1 acoustic and one bass. Been at it for 4 years and I still have lots to learn. I want to get another electric, a nice one.
Click here

i had 6 guitars before i learned

but i am silly that way. i have a massive instrument collection - like, 9 playable violins- but they must get used or its a sin
im pretty sure that you should only have 1 acoustic or one nylon string guitar. they do the same job as every other acoustic. i have 1 nylon string guitar ive had it since i started playing, and it still sounds awesome. i also have 1, good quality, ESP Ltd AX 250 and that IS the bee's knees. so far i have never played a better guitar that that. just plug it into my Line 6 spider 30 watt, mix in some effect pedals and i shred the afternoon away...
Quote by Eldawgs
just plug it into my Line 6 spider 30 watt, mix in some effect pedals...

lolwut?
This is my forth year of playing,...

I still have my first electric, crappy ledgend starter lol.
This is my 4th year of playing. I have 3 electric guitars. and my first noname cheapo acoustic. Still have my first electric (MIM strat). Don't think i would sell it though, even though i felt like trading it off for much better strats a couple of times. had a couple of offers. Damn sentimental value. Without sentimental value i'd have awesome gear right now.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
however many you can afford. don't put off buying a gutiar just because you don't think you deserve it. i spent the frist 9 years of my playing with ****pile guitars and even worse amps. if you can get nice things, go for it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Page 1 of 2