What is the best half stack i can get, over 150 watts, that is less than 400 bucks?
Kudos to him/her with the best thing.
Why do you need a halfstack? Why do you need >150W?

For that kind of money you won't be able to get a halfstack which is even close to decent.
Quote by thrilla13w
i need something that is louder than 150 watts though

You do know that 150w is overkill for stadium sized gigs right?

You do not need a half stack and you do not need 150w.

For a start what music do you play and what is you budget, then we'll talk options.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Why? You rarely need that much power, a low cost SS amp will get muddy at that volume. If you need as much or more then you use a PA system. I suggest a Peavey Valveking, its quite cheap and versatile enough.
Quote by thrilla13w

What do you do?
Demolish houses...?
Quote by thrilla13w

If you're not gonna do a stadium tour, you do NOT need anything louder than 100 watts.

And somehow I KNOW that you're not gonna do a stadium tour, duh. Buy a combo, man.
Quote by thrilla13w

No, you don't.

Get yourself a smaller tube combo (SS if you only play high gain), and you'll be infinitely better off.
Hold on a minute. I remember this one tube combo which was good for metal, i'll try and find it on MF.
Also, you don't need 150 watts. What are you, crazy? 30 is enough for gigging. And the only halfstack in that range is that piece of crap crate stack. Which sadly, is worse than a marshall MG.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Check out some Peavy's i assume you like metal/rock?
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
RULE 1: YOU DO NOT NEED A HALF STACK FOR HOME
RULE 2: You really, REALLY don't need 150+ watts, unless you knock down buildings with your amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
D00D G3T TEH MG ITS LEIK 250 WATTZ!!!!1111!!!!@
Seriously, get a tube combo like the Valveking, maybe the Classic30?
I'm guessing your "going up against" or playing with someone that's got a 100-150watt solid state half-stack?

Just guessing.

You're not going to get a decent half-stack at the price you're looking at. You may be able to find a nice combo though that would blow the doors off a 100-150watt solid state half-stack. Especially if you don't mind going used (ebay or craigslist). If you simply MUST have a stack (which no one really needs, it's always a want). Check out the Peavey Windsor Head or Peavey Valveking Head. You'll definitely be able to find either for under $400 (used), but that doesn't leave you much to purchase a good cab with really.

Best bet, try to save up a little more.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by darkarbiter7
the only halfstack in that range is that piece of crap crate stack. Which sadly, is worse than a marshall MG.

I second that, and I'm a Crate Fan.
What if you could get a 150 watt amp that GOES TO ELEVEN? That would rule.

50 watt tube amp at most, 30 watt would probably be fine.
Quote by thrilla13w
Metal, and 400 dollars. I already have a crate vtx212b

More watts doesn't give you more of a metal tone. It gives you more clean tone. With 150 watts you could play in a medium sized bar, with clean tone, and make people go outside because you were too damn loud. If you want super heavy distortion then get a lower watt amp so that you can crank the volume and really drive the thing.

and you are not going to get a good metal amp for 400. double that and you have a chance, otherwise, get yourself a good pedal.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 28, 2008,