I need some help guys. In my possesion is a Takamine Classical guitar, C-140 SH. It has a date stamped in the sound hole that reads" May 28 1976. "

I cannot find any info on this guitar via Google and the such. I want to sell (actually trade it) for a steel string on Craigslist but I need to know what I have first. I understand that some Takamines are very high quality and quite expensive and I also understand that some are not. Knowing the person who gave this to me it is probably top of the line. But I don't know.

Any info like a value...or ANYTHING would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks
E preciso amar as pessoas como se nao houvesse amanha- Renato Russo
You might want to try contacting Takamine directly through their Web site. They may be able to give you complete information.
Quote by Wiggly
good luck man... hope u end up a millionare

Yeah, right.

I just hope it is worth a trade for a Martin or Taylor steel string!
Quote by TUMFP
Oh come on, Mr. Gatsby. With your income you need not to worry about the price of a Taylor or Martin. Your parties must cost a fortune.

HA! But I spend too much money chasing that B*TCH Daisey!
I still haven't found sh*t on the value of this guitar. Someone from Craig's List offered a Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RC.

Does this sound right? A vintage Takamine from 1976 for that above Epiphone steel string accoustic?

Any input would be of great service.
Quote by Wasted Resource
You might want to try contacting Takamine directly through their Web site. They may be able to give you complete information.

They haven't answered after almost two weeks. I stopped holding my breath.
I found this 1976 Takamine C 136 S
http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar.php?ID=8121

It's the closest thing I've found to your model. Unfortunately I don't know Takamine's numbering system very well. I would assume yours is a step up from this one. It was likely an inexpensive guitar when it came out, but so were the Silvertones and Kays when they were produced. That doesn't mean it's not worth something today.

I also found a link to the 1976 Takamine Catalog, but you need a password to view it, and that costs $10.
http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_japanese_takamine_1976.htm

I don't think I'd trade for the Epiphone. It's a nice guitar, but not a great guitar. I'd trade it for something a little more unique.

Best of luck.
Quote by Wasted Resource
I thought of one more thing.

Willie's Guitars is a vintage dealer in Minneapolis. You could give them a call. Maybe they could ballpark a figure for you.
http://www.williesguitars.com/

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the info. I will get into contact with Willie's. The only thing in my area is a Guitar Center and even though I have heard horror stories about the ineptatude of some GC employees, the ones near me are a knowlegable bunch. With that said, they couldn't help me on this one.

Thanks again.
IMHO, Takamine isn't all THAT great, but isn't horrible, either...
Good luck.
Quote by Rengori
If you haven't noticed, girls pants magically fly off when you play Hey There Delilah.

Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Maybe the Canadians shouldn't try to illegally cross into the sea.

Never thought of...

I fail.
Well I found out that this sucker could fetch around $800 in the open market. The guy at the store said he would give me about 65% of that. I think I am going to stick with Craig's List and try to trade it to someone for a decent steel string.