I'm looking at someone who's selling a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 locally for $500. Is this a good deal? How would this amp work for blues/metal?

Also someone else is selling a Fender Blues Junior for $375. How do these amps compare with the price difference?

Thanks
Go for the DeVille. My friend got one for $500 also. Sweet amp. It is sooooo awesome! Its got three channles: clean, drive, and more drive. It's got that fender punch, with all the balls you need for some sweet blues tone. You'd need a pedal if you want to play metal with it, but it is a great deal and I'd get the DeVill over the Blues Jr.
It has bad OD. I have a very similar amp and I just use my greenscreamer for OD on the clean channel.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I should clarify: by metal, I mean more of an earlier heavy metal, black sabbath fuzzy type stuff. I've got a big muff for distortion, and I was planning on picking up another distortion pedal to cover all my bases. What can the amp not do for metal? Would it not be suitable for metal even with pedals?
I don't want to get a traynor ycv40 because there's not someone selling it locally for $300 off list, and because I frankly haven't ever heard of traynor. Are they any good?
I see what you mean. I think I was just excited on getting this amp because of all the raves I heard about the tone. But the truth is that I play pretty distorted most of the time, so the Fender doesn't seem like a great fit. I'll keep looking and hopefully find something that fits better. You said a peavey classic 30? What else would you recommend?
Peavey Classic 30 or the Deville. I'd go with the Deville as the Peavey Classic 30 has rattling tubes. You can get a pretty good blues tone out of the overdrive, not great but if you want something more buy an OCD and run it through the clean channel. For Sabbath, the Big Muff does that great.
Yeah, listen to forsaknarael, the Fender is NOT the amp you want for your tones. It has a really nice clean tone, and it has a nice light breakup on the clean channel (although it's really loud), but for metal there are a tone of amps that would suit you better. I think the Traynor YVC40 or 50BLUE would both be excellent choices, the 50 if you like a more marshally tone. The classic 30 would be good with an OD/fuzz pedal, and i really like that amp with a tube swap. There are also some things like the Randall tube combo that you could possibly interest you, but may be more modern than you're going for with that classic metal tone.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^There's nothing wrong with Peavey's at all. I think Lynyrd Skynyrd was even partial to them, if i recall correctly.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
what is everyone's experience with the peavey valveking? That looks like a nice amp that might be up my metal alley
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^There's nothing wrong with Peavey's at all. I think Lynyrd Skynyrd was even partial to them, if i recall correctly.

Actually, you're quite correct. Currently the only member to use Peavey is Gary, but then again, he IS the only original guitarist left. Skynyrd started out w/ Marshalls, but said they could not dish out the volume needed to fill large stadiums, so they went with Peavey. My dad's best friend from high school Tim Jaurning is a Peavey engineer and met with Gary and Ricky Medlocke to built them some new amps. He got to play Gary's Les Paul. THE Les Paul of the one and only GARY ROSSINGTON! I am soooo jealous! but still, if I were Gary and Ricky's friend, I wouldn't let them play Peavey.
^So what is it you have against Peavey, exactly? Just blind hatred, or is there a reason behind it?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
In all honesty, the amps mentioned are really awesome amps, I just have a thing against their crappy low end mostly solid state stuff that all the noobs I know always brag about owning (not saying you're a noob, I just know alot of them). Plus, my parents band has had a lot of trouble with their Peavey sound equipment, which then got passed down to me and my band when they got new stuff, so I then developed a fine hatred for the stuff when it didn't work for me. I guess I am just a good ol' fashioned "Gibson through a Fender" kinda guy, but yes, I'll admit that the Peavey amps mentioned are indeed some great amps.
^Well, if you hate Peavey based on their low end amps, then you must hate fender, marshall, vox, and practically every other big amp company. Every amp company has their low end, practice amps. There's a huge market for those amps.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I own a Marshall MG15 (my first amp), and at full vol. on the clean channel, that thing kicks some serious ass. I use it for recording a lot. I don't know, I guess Peavey just gets me as the, i don't know, to me they are so, idk, like, "I couldn't afford a REAL amp, so I got a Peavey." I understand they make some good high end tube amps that can really roar and ppl like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Satch play them, but thats because they got to mod them the way they want. Like if Peavey came to me with a deal to make an amp to my specs., you're damn right I'd play Peavey. But in this case, I've had some real good personal experience with the Fender DeVille mentioned above, and I think it could be a real versatile amp with the right pedal. I don't wanna rip on you if you have a Peavey or anything, I'm just saying, what I've personally seen from Peavey, I don't like. (mainly the sound equipment I mentioned earlier. I can't say I've ever plugged into a Valveking, which if offered one I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't purchase it over something like a Marshall stack or a nice Fender twin)
it will not do metal at all

blues its perfect for

edit:::

sorry i didnt really read everyones comments i did no tknow we moved on from the deville and onto a huge peavey fight

ignore my comment

except this one

moose stfu

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Last edited by timzee117 at Feb 29, 2008,
Oh, i don't own a Peavey, i own an Ampeg Reverberocket, which is a gorgeous amp. I just think they're nice amps. They make some of the best middle range tube amps for blues and rock that you can get for the price (classic 30, delta blues, etc). They are certainly "real" amps, and even their lower end stuff is just as much of a "real" amp as your practice Marshall. Sure, you don't like them, and that's just fine, but i just didn't think your opinion of their lower end SS amps and their PA equipment (which is completely irrelevant in this situation) warranted the "Dude, friends don't let friends play Peavey." And as for my (and many others) personal opinion, i would take any Peavey practice amp i've ever played over any Marshall MG i've ever played. Just my opinion, though.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Yep, that's just fine. But even though i feel that way, i would never tell someone to NEVER buy a marshall or NEVER buy a fender. See my point? lol

I think we see eye to eye, here, i just wanted to make sure i brought out the point that all Peavey's aren't bad. I would hate for someone to turn down a great amp for them based on the lower end amps.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
back to the original question....i have a deville. It is extremely versatille with a ds-1. I get metal tones(yes metal and not ****ty metal, like good metal), eric johnson tones, santana tones, and modern rock tones out of a combination of the 2. I got my fender for 530 bucks used...it is the 410 model.
dude the deville can roar. i played it yesterday and it screams with the volume at about 1. put on the more drive channel with the drive at max and you are good to go. just make sure you have the volume at 0 when you do it cuz if its above 1 its gonna blow your ears out if your by yourself. but i cant imagine this amp not being able to play metal with a good pedal.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
The Deville is a nice amp. Weak for OD, but then again there's pedals. If you want fuzzy metal sounds, get a Fuzz Face with it.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦