Im writing a instrmental for the talent show this year and im stuck after the intro and was wondering where to go from there here is what I've got

and this is tapping on the 17th fret, I dont know how to indicate that...

l---7-h9h10---7h-9h10----l x5 or 6 times

so where can I go from here?
well i'll start by first saying that if you're stuck after that, this might be a little high level. But that aside you need to figure out what key it is in(Db maybe?) and use those notes to put together some more tapping maybe...I'm not too sure as to whether you're trying to shred orr what
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Yamaha Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112

Effects:
DigiTech rp350 (For Sale)
BOSS RC-20 XL Loop Station
BOSS GT-10

Rock on!
"and this is tapping on the 17th fret, I dont know how to indicate that.."

Hi. Just look at some wellwritten songtabs that have a tapping part in them. You'll see, tapping is usually indicated with a "t" at the tapped note - similar how you handle hammer-ons and pull-offs in ascii text.

If you want to make a quick nice tapping etude, just tap an arpeggio sequence. Find some nice chord progressions and tap the chord notes - But try to keep a good handle on the voice-leading.

If you want to get some more inspiration, just enter the apparent keyword into google. Lots of lessons and examples at your disposal. If you're a visual learner, hit up youtube as well.

For study purposes let's look at the tapping part of metallica's "one"
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/metallica/one_ver2_tab.htm

The first section is -t19-p-15-p-12-
The 19th fret on the e-string is the note: B
15th fret = G
12th fret = E

So if you add them all up ascending, you get a sequence of:
E-G-B
which is: the root, third and fifth that make up the E-minor chord

now onto the next section:

-t20-p-15-p-12-

20th fret = C
15th = G
12th = E

You can arrange them in a sequence of: C-E-G and, et voila, it's a C major chord
(If you don't know that, you might want to brush up your theory. Quick basic start, a chord is made up of three basic notes (you can add more later): The rootnote, the third and the fifth. The so called "power chords" in rock omit the third for a cleaner sound, but that's another story. How do we find these notes ? You go from the scale starting on the root note, here for example C. The Cmaj scale is CDEFGABC. C is the first note (root), E is the third, G is the fifth. Ergo, C-E-G make up a Cmaj chord. If you understand this concept, look for example for F-A-C in that scale, an F major chord. Same buld-principle.

The tapping sequence then moves a string downwards, which is as we know an interval of a fourth down.
I won't spell it out again, but the next "implied" chords are B minor and G major

so the the whole chord sequence is: Em-C-Bm-G, or in terms of interval progressions: i-VI-v-III (although you can interprete the Bm as a new key center, etc.)

play it acoustic with folkstrummed chords, sounds great.

NOW, the important thing to realize is that you can also do this whole thing BACKWARDS. that is, start with a chord progression FIRST (made up now, or from songs you know) - then find out where the notes that make up these chords are on the fretboard. Then find a cool tapping pattern that also connects the chords in a smooth voice-leading.

You can also make an easy good-sounding tap solo with the "pedaltone method". I'll spare myself a lengthy explanation and refer you to Paul Gilberts rendition of an excerpt of Bachs famous "Toccata and Fugue"
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/paul_gilbert/toccata_and_fugue_tab.htm
Last edited by Ailes at Feb 28, 2008,