I have a DC135 and everyone who sees it/plays it says it's awesome. (including me)

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
It's certainly worth it!
My Carvin Bolt T is awesome, I was going to get a Fender Japanese strat, I'm glad I got the carvin.
I'm sure the same quality will be used in that model.

If there weren't so many brands I was obsessed with I'd have at least three Carvins by now!
are the necks good for playing fast and maybe some shredding, also would the stock pups be good for classic rock and some thrash metal
I thought you wer talking about carving your guitar... and I was just ready to oppose it vehemently
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
I got a custom made guitar by a luthier and I'm still thinking about carvin.

I'm debating what I'm going to get, get a bolt made or buy a bolt kit with the upgrades.
Quote by ironman1478
are the necks good for playing fast and maybe some shredding, also would the stock pups be good for classic rock and some thrash metal

Carvin necks are great and fast, better than either of my Gibson SG's (Standard and 61 reissue) and my MIM Strat. The stock pickups are great for classic rock but just OK for metal but that can be overcome by your amp or pedals or a pickup change.
A DC127? You for serious? I live close to Carvin and that is one wicked guitar. I play a body with a similar shape and when i play that Carvin is absolutely screams. Its great with the tremolo and it will become your favorite guitar. The neck is not too fat, not too thin and the fretboard has a very big radius (something i dont really like). They also have a 7 string similar to that and it rocks. Dude....when i see this guitar i cum my pants. Just buy the damn thing.
lol thanx guys looks like a have about another 500 to go
edit: also i was looking at the tremolos they offer and saw a Wilkinson tremolo. what exactly is it? is it like the tremolo on a strat?
Last edited by ironman1478 at Feb 28, 2008,
Quote by ironman1478
lol thanx guys looks like a have about another 500 to go
edit: also i was looking at the tremolos they offer and saw a Wilkinson tremolo. what exactly is it? is it like the tremolo on a strat?

Yes its a like a vintage strat trem that only goes down, except its 100000 times better
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Teh GIR
Yes its a like a vintage strat trem that only goes down, except its 100000 times better

Yessir. They come in a few different colors too, they look pretty stunning. I personally like the floating trems.
one last question,

are the necks like jackson/ibanez necks because those are the most comfortable necks for me. or are the necks something completely different and radical but still good.
p.s. i am asking a lot of questions because i order, pay for it, and then play so i just want to be sure its worth it
The back of the guitar is more like the Wizard neck of an Ibanez. Its not flat on the back, and it has a little bit of curvature to it. The fretboard comes in 10" or 14" radius, check your guitar and you might find one similar.

I think that:

Fender = 9.5-10"
Gibson = 12 or 13"
Ibanez = 14"
Jackson = 16"

Thats a rough estimate. If you look up the guitar you use, you can see how it is going to feel. If not, just search for a guitar with the same radius you want and try it out at your local guitar shop. GL!

EDIT: On the Carvin site, they list the "upgrades" for a different radius or color or etc. Just type in DC127 in the search and build your favorite one!
Last edited by dogismycopilot at Feb 28, 2008,
I have a DC 127. Its neck plays wonderfully- its thin but not like a wizard neck, but it is a really great shape, just perfectly conducive to playing well.
Ok, Wilkinson trems are floating trems, and they can raise and lowwer pitch, not like vintage strats, however they can be setup so that they touch the body of the guitar, and function like a strat trem.
I have a Wilkinson on both of my guitars. (my carvin , and new koa warmoth strat). I love them.
Jacksons have a compound radius fret board which carvin will not do, sorry.
You can get a variety of different radi necks tho, which varry from 10-20inch radius (depending on the modle.
Carvin Ct4.
Traynor 15 watt class A tube amp.
Fulltone Deja Vibe.
Vox Wah.

~Derek Trucks~
You'll probably want a bit more than $1,000. Most of my Carvin's that I dream about building end up doubling their price when I add all the features I really want...or I'm an obsessive wh0re.

Carvin's are amazing guitars. My biggest gripe is the licesnsed floyd rose on 7 strings and their pickups do kinda suck. As for the feel of their guitars...amazing, definatly worth every bit of $1,450 for me.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i got the dc400a (anniversary series) with upgrades, its their higher end models, ran me about $1550. NOTHING plays like this guitar, not 3k prs' or 2.5k les paul. carvin wins.
Quote by MESAexplorer
You'll probably want a bit more than $1,000. Most of my Carvin's that I dream about building end up doubling their price when I add all the features I really want...or I'm an obsessive wh0re.

Carvin's are amazing guitars. My biggest gripe is the licesnsed floyd rose on 7 strings and their pickups do kinda suck. As for the feel of their guitars...amazing, definatly worth every bit of $1,450 for me.

Most of the money goes towards obscure woods. Like a Koa body for instance i think is $250 more dollars than the standard alder or w/e they usually use for that model. Things like pickup upgrades are very cheap, $5-$10 etc..

So if he's not worried about getting some rare kind of wood then he shouldn't have to spend much over $1,000

Although I did end up spending 1,400 on my dc135 but again it was mostly cosmetics like the flamed maple and stain/burst paintjob that really boosted the price. But i'm happy

edit - one more thing.. I played an Ibanez Jem Steve Vai signature guitar at GC (i think thats what it was called) and it was like 2,000 or more cant remember. And i have to say it felt so cheap compared to my carvin. Carvins are built like no other. Definitely buy one!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Last edited by CroneR at Feb 29, 2008,