So in my AP English class this year we have an ongoing assignment in which we have an essay due every other week. These essays are formatted after Newsweek articles and are based on common misconceptions in a number of topics, such as film, literature, arts, sports, science, politics, religion, etc. For example, in my first essay my topic was music, and I wrote about how it's a misconception that the majority of heavy metal music is satanic or condones violence. I scored pretty high, my teacher liked the subject. Probably because I didn't write about global warming like everyone else... I want it to be something that's interesting to read about, so that's why I'm coming to the Pit.

I know it's a pretty general thing to write about, but I need a misconception to write an essay on. And it's due tomorrow =/ I know, I'm a procrastinator...

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Probably should've mentioned that I can only use each topic once. That and I can't stand rap so I don't think I'd be very good at writing an essay against stereotyping it, considering I stereotype the hell out of it myself.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Feb 28, 2008,
stem cell research?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
write about the military shootin down that satellite...its all i got lol
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
you could do the whole Islam/terrorism thing but im sure thats an already saturated topic
maybe marijuana and its effects
I agree with the rap statement. Definitely mention how mainstream rap is mindless, and there is actually good rap beyond the boundries of what society believes rap is all about.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Something to do with cars and the oil industry? That's pretty hot on the media right now, so it shouldn't be hard to find info on.
Nope, no sig here.
write one about how its a common misconception that kerry king has any skill on guitar besides the ability to pick fast.
Quote by deli_creep
write one about how its a common misconception that kerry king has any skill on guitar besides the ability to pick fast.

YES!
/thread
I can't repeat topics.

Also I hate rap. I'm guilty of stereotyping it myself, so it probably wouldn't be a very effective essay.

Quote by Mutant Corn
Something to do with cars and the oil industry? That's pretty hot on the media right now, so it shouldn't be hard to find info on.

That's giving me a few ideas. Say more things like that
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by KurtCobain9898
emo music.......lmao good luck with that one.

This would actually be pretty good. Educate the class that tr00 emo isn't mainstreamcore girl pants.

Quote by Pedalboard
I agree with the rap statement. Definitely mention how mainstream rap is mindless, and there is actually good rap beyond the boundries of what society believes rap is all about.

Yeah, like A Tribe called Quest, Dr Octagon, etc...
You could write about the misconception that corn-derived ethanol used as an alternative fuel is beneficial for the environment. Make comparisons to cellulosic ethanol produced from switchgrass, sugarcane, etc.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
Write about all of the generalizing going on against America by Western Europe and other first world nations?

It's more original than taking away Muslim stereotypes.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Focus on a stereotype that exists about a certain country, and narrow in on that.

For example "All French people smoke."

You could write an essay proving why that isn't true. But you can do it on any country, any stereotype, etc.
The.
How about the misconception that stereotypes are usually false?

That would certainly be interesting.
Quote by Bushinarin
Write about all of the generalizing going on against America by Western Europe and other first world nations?

It's more original than taking away Muslim stereotypes.

I agree, all of this generalization of americans as stupid rednecks really bothers me, and plus you'll get some points for originality with your teacher.

EDIT: did anyone else notice on the 'torture playlist' that they have Bulls On Parade, By Rage Against the Machine? irony.....
^ Interesting, certainly, but most likely confusing as hell, also. (Vermintide)

Anyway, I think I know what I'm writing about this time, but feel free to keep posting, so I can just check back every time I need to write an essay and have ideas.

Thanks for the help.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT