Page 1 of 2
Right now for me:

Sweep Arppeggios (kicking my butt)
Proper Left Hand Technique (Kicking my butt HARDER)

What about you guys? Just thought I'd change things up a bit.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I'm working on whatever the hell technique is required to play Chromatic Fantasy.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
YYZ! All the way through, i'm learning it day by day but it's mainly the bass solo bits and the occasional fill that is troubling me.

Also, looking to learn slap which I can stand.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Tapping, getting actually good at slap

and basic theory

but not right now,right now Im still celebrating my 18th,even tho its technically 2morro over here so in theory its over

but I dont care
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by thefitz
I'm working on whatever the hell technique is required to play Chromatic Fantasy.

I believe its the technique of lighting Santeria candles and praying appropriately to unknown gods.

I am working on tapping and advanced jazz bass line construction techniques. I am so into theory I see intervals and chord constructions and inversions in my sleep at this point.
i've been trying to simply play cleaner. i tend to get "clanky" when i really get into the music. i really have to make myself focus on the timing, and not "zone-out". we had a practice a couple of weeks ago, that was pre-arranged "no drinking". the difference was obvious in the recordings. darn it!
I'm working on playing clean sounding chords (m7, m9, etc) on my 6-string fretless. My band is playing mostly acoustic now and I'm trying to get a keyboard atmospheric sound.
Theory and pitch.

I'm training my ears for absolute pitch (wish me luck...), and learning chords/etc. to make up for the seven years of trombone lessons where I learned zilcho. [sigh]
Partially because I challenged myself to learn more than my girlfriend, a music major. <_<
Some walking bass line stuff.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Yyz
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I'm working on a fair bit of theory at the moment, which is strange for me. But knowledge is really starting to click together now, so I'm gonna keep going.
signature
I'm working on Walking and writing right now.
That, and a few covers my teacher wants me to learn.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Well, I'm taking an Advanced Music Theory class at my college, so I'm trying to learn some theory obviously haha. Overall, I'd say I'm mainly working on just continuing to enhance my speed and consistency in both hands. For songs, I'm basically just trying to learn a few of the more technical Lamb of God and Mudvayne songs.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by Bass First
Filing my frets down :[

As Moe Szyslak would say, "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Im working on Confined (As I lay Dying) for my band and their originals since I joined with about 4 practices left till my 1st gig with them and in general... F*ck.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Still trying to get three finger picking down properly, it messes me up sometimes!

Starting to get into using floating thumb, as I already use movable anchor. Should be a blast one I get to choose between either
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Oh, and adding melody to my slap lines. I've got decent technique but when I play slap... it seems to be for the feeling of hitting the strings. I don't really care what notes I play. Hopefully, a little reflection and work will turn my frenetic attempts into something good to hear.

Has anybody else encountered that? If so, how did you go about progressing from that point?
I'm trying to tame my left hand into playing lighter. Also I'm working on learning Ytse Jam.
Mr. Big - Merciless
Mr. Big - Addicted to that Rush
last minute of Jamiroquai - Space Cowboy
I'm working on a Prelude by Bach (violin piece transposed, 3 pages of straight semiquavers, bout 80 bpm, hard as hell for me) and I just picked up a Queen bass book, so I'm working on songs from there too
Trying to get all the harmonics right, 9/10 times in PoT.
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Working on getting fully used to my new 6 string.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'm working on getting my slap technique much better and the songs I'm working on are my grade 8 pieces.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by chocolateman900
I'm working on a Prelude by Bach (violin piece transposed, 3 pages of straight semiquavers, bout 80 bpm, hard as hell for me) and I just picked up a Queen bass book, so I'm working on songs from there too

Cello, not violin .
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Donna Lee and a solo version of Somewhere over the Rainbow, still need some more ideas for what to do with the tune, I've got a ideas for about halfway through the head so far.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Double thumping speed.
And trying to use it when creating my own slap lines
Classical thump here I come...
my damn right hand technique.
trying not resting my thumb on anything but my strings, and float thumb when I play my 4th.
And a bit of slap.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

Quote by aguacateojos
Oh, and adding melody to my slap lines. I've got decent technique but when I play slap... it seems to be for the feeling of hitting the strings. I don't really care what notes I play. Hopefully, a little reflection and work will turn my frenetic attempts into something good to hear.

Has anybody else encountered that? If so, how did you go about progressing from that point?

Yeah, I kinda slap just for the feel and sound of it more than anything I guess too. I learned it from imitating Fieldy from Korn, so I had a lot of the "just slap" kinda sound going on, and then I basically started with doing shifting octaves (slap-pop), kinda like this:

F|----5-------8-------------------|
C|--------------------8-------5---|
G|3-33--36-66---6-----------------|
D|----------------6-66--63-33---3-|
A|--------------------------------|
--s ssp ss ss p s s ssp ss ss p s

After that, it was mainly just randomly slap/pop/tap, but I'm slowly turning it all into more melodic bass lines, I'm just lazy, . Overall, practice a lot, and be patient, it takes a while to get use out of it (unless your just gifted, XD).
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
The second solo from Bouree.
I'm horrible at chords though so It's going to take me a while to get it down.
Quote by mhylands
Yeah, I kinda slap just for the feel and sound of it more than anything I guess too. I learned it from imitating Fieldy from Korn, so I had a lot of the "just slap" kinda sound going on, and then I basically started with doing shifting octaves (slap-pop), kinda like this:

F|----5-------8-------------------|
C|--------------------8-------5---|
G|3-33--36-66---6-----------------|
D|----------------6-66--63-33---3-|
A|--------------------------------|
--s ssp ss ss p s s ssp ss ss p s

After that, it was mainly just randomly slap/pop/tap, but I'm slowly turning it all into more melodic bass lines, I'm just lazy, . Overall, practice a lot, and be patient, it takes a while to get use out of it (unless your just gifted, XD).

You've posted that four times now, we get the picture.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I've decided tonight that I'm finally going to learn Fermented Offal Discharge. I'll see you all in 10 years
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Page 1 of 2