Tomorrow night I'm playing bass at a large college gig. I'm mainly a guitarist who took up bass a year ago. At the last gig I screwed up a little because I couldn't see my bass in the dark and I was remembering the fret positions of a guitar neck out of instinct.

Obviously I want tomorrow night to be flawless, so to help my coordination if it's dark I put some sticky tape at three points behind the neck: 3rd fret, 5th fret, and 12th fret. I tested it out just now and I can play very confidently in the dark. Eventually I'll get used to the longer bass neck.

You can start laughing at my n00b solutions now.
If it makes you more confident...then do it

I knew a guy who out the tabs for all the songs (including originals) on the back of his bass

needless to say, he screwed up,and isnt a very good bassist

but theres a BIG difference between that and what ur doing, ur just out of ur comfort zone atm, and need a quick soloution

good luck at the gig btw
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
If it's a trick that's going to work in a pinch, use it. Just remember, it's a crutch. Here, run with this crutch and I'll be running regularly let's see who can do 100 metres faster. Eventually you're going to want to ditch the crutch, but for now it doesn't seem all that bad.
Hey, if it works, go for it. I played a gig on bass (I've been playing for like 4 years though) and I wore non-prescription sunglasses in a dark pub. I couldn't see a damn thing, but managed to pull through. If you ever get lost, run your finger down the edge and count the frets it bumps into.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Do it, but try playing without looking at first, and if you start messing up, then it'll be there as backup.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by skippy_moogoose
If it makes you more confident...then do it

I knew a guy who out the tabs for all the songs (including originals) on the back of his bass

needless to say, he screwed up,and isnt a very good bassist

but theres a BIG difference between that and what ur doing, ur just out of ur comfort zone atm, and need a quick soloution

good luck at the gig btw

Obviously you can't read the back of your bass while playing, haha.

Quote by Sid McCall
Hey, if it works, go for it. I played a gig on bass (I've been playing for like 4 years though) and I wore non-prescription sunglasses in a dark pub. I couldn't see a damn thing, but managed to pull through. If you ever get lost, run your finger down the edge and count the frets it bumps into.

I actually did do that, but somehow overlooked the 1st fret a few times (during the parts I wasn't playing mostly).
Last edited by Ki' at Feb 28, 2008,
If it's going too work man then do it!!
It's certainly a better idea than just risking it and screwing up the gig.

However if u still miss a few notes. Jst remember how many of the ****ers u had to play, it'll still be a small percentage!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by woodsballplayer
http://www.fretfx.com/

thats like the coolest thing for you. Too bad it doesnt help tonight.

Nah.. the lights have to be on the fretboard instead of the inlays
I r Pirate!
Quote by duke_lion

My inlays are too big to light. hahaa

damn shark tooth inlays.
Quote by Ki'
Obviously you can't read the back of your bass while playing, haha.

O he tried

that bass was at a VERY funny angle

wish I'd taken fotos, but it was my first ever gig in a playing band

so I was distracted, but I remember that, it was funny
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
O he tried

that bass was at a VERY funny angle

wish I'd taken fotos, but it was my first ever gig in a playing band

so I was distracted, but I remember that, it was funny

Jeez, if he needed to, he could have at least put up a proper stand for sheet music.
Quote by Ki'
Jeez, if he needed to, he could have at least put up a proper stand for sheet music.

but that wouldnt be very punk rock

he considers himself punk becuase his band sounded like a bad Blink 182

and Im talking enema of the state era, when they were simply pop

not even pop-punk

and he had a mohawk, bless him
Quote by the humanity
I've seen LED strips that you tape to the side of your bass. A Godsend.

I remember at my first gig, the lighting was so bad that the frets were casting shadows, making me think I was pressing 1 fret above what I really was pressing. I was a half step flat half the time.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Ki'
P.S. Gig went well.

Glad to hear it! . So did the tape idea work out for you as well as you thought it would?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Glad to hear it! . So did the tape idea work out for you as well as you thought it would?

It wasn't as dark as it was before. But it helped me play a lot better without looking anyway. That was the only thing that made bass playing hard for me; the different neck.
good deal man. it takes a little time to get used to the different size necks, best thing to do from here is close your eyes and get the positions in your head
Quote by duke_lion

i have a friend who has leds in the fretboard in his bass, it looks totally awesome, and i think it does help him a lot of the time
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Ki'
P.S. Gig went well.

sweeeeeeeeeeet

I love the feeling you get after playing a really good gig
Quote by the humanity
My tip for finding the right frets in the dark is to never, ever look at your fretting hand when practising. Unless i'm playing something difficult that has to be absolutely spot on, like a tapping section, solo, or sth, i'm always looking at the other band members, the crowd, random bits of furniture, or just headbanging like a maniac. Eventually you'll know where every fret on your bass is without looking, and the lighting level at a gig won't matter. Of course, you'll still occasionally miss a fret, but most people at gigs don't notice unless you make it noticable. So just keep going crazy and no one will care.
Quote by skippy_moogoose
but that wouldnt be very punk rock

he considers himself punk becuase his band sounded like a bad Blink 182

and Im talking enema of the state era, when they were simply pop

not even pop-punk

and he had a mohawk, bless him

I'm a Blink fan, and tbh, you shouldn't really need to have tabs on the back of the bass, they are quite simple.

Glad it went well, hope you do more!