whats the gauge on a string? like what does it mean? i know thers like normal and light gauge...maybe some others i dont know. and what types of styles go good with what gauge?

in case you cant tell, im a n00b...
I can tell your a noob. Lol

I tend to use 9's for just general playing. It's what i feel best with using.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
9s are like standard, then theres 10's and 11's which are thicker so you can get like a thicker sound out of them, they also have 8's, the higher the gauge the hard they are to bend i find so it depends what u plan on playing
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
The gauge on a string it's practically it's thickness. Different gauges are used for different tunings and styles of playing, for example: most metal players that play in drop c or drop b use thick (heavy gauge) strings so the strings don't rattle, and of course, to get a darker tone.

The string gauge that comes with most guitars is .09, those are the thinnest, but you can find .10 gauge, .11s, .12s, and so on...
gauge means how thick your High E string is in centmeters. if you get 10's, then the string is .10 centimeters thick, 9's are .09 cm thick, 11's are .11 cm thick and so on.

and it depends on what you prefer. there is no right or wrong set of strings unless you do a lot of tuning down. if you keep it in standard, then 9's or 10's would be good, but once you get to lower tunings, such as D standard or Drop C type stuff, then you will want bigger gauge strings like 11's or 12's
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
gauge n. 5: the thickness of sheet metal, wire, etc.
it's basically just how thick your strings are, thicker gauge strgins are deeper and vibrate more, while thinner gauge strgins are thinner(banjo strgins are the lightest gauge) basically if you want to know what guage to use, just look up your favorties player's equipment, but just using standard gauge strgins for your guitar model(also found online) is fine.
.10s would be the norm. .09 is light, .08 is extra light, .11 is heavy, etc.

I like the feel of .09s, the bendability, etc., but they're not too ideal for when I liketo tune down for some Beatles, Elliott Smith, pillows, Nirvana, etc.

I tend to stick with .10s because they can withstand the tunings ( I never go lower than whole step down really). They're not much different feel wise from .09s and I can play very well with them. I use D'addario XLs or Fender Super Bullets.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Its just the thickness, measured in millimeters if i'm not mistaken

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Yep, the heavier the gauge, the thicker the strings. It's a matter of preference, but some (me included) enjoy the tone of heavier gauges over lighter gauges. For instance, i go no lower than .011s on my Strat.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
While we're on the subject, would .08 strings be a good choice if I'm tuning to Eb? I have always used .09's before but just felt like a change.
TOKAI GOLDSTAR STRAT (SHELL PINK)
FENDER MIJ STRAT (ARCTIC WHITE)

EPIPHONE AJ ACOUSTIC LTD EDITION

ROLAND MICROCUBE
^I don't like tuning a half step down with any gauge lower than .010s. I start to lose some tuning stability, it seems.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I saw a diagram on this somewhere but I can't find it now

I'll try and replicate it :/

Ok,

.08-.09..................... Standard tuning
.10-.11..................... Drop Half/Whole step
.12-higher................. Drop C and B
Anything higher than that? You got bass strings by accident bud!

Yeah it's not near as precise but it's a decent guideline, I added last part lol. But like with most things guitar really it all comes down to personal pref. Look at Tony Iommi, he played banjo strings in C# at one time and he still made them sound good. So it's all what sounds and feels good to you.
^SRV was known to use .013s on a regular basis, and even used up to as big as .017s at one point. Those aren't quite bass strings.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
If your playing in a dropped tuning (thickest string is lower than all the other others aka: Dropped D and C and whatever) You need a heavier low E string but not as heavy on the other strings. So something like skinny tops heavy bottoms would suffice.
^^His tech stocked like every gauge for every string. He sometimes subbed out the high e .13 for an .11 or .10 if his fingers were getting sore.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Jazz players also use a bit heavier strings, .11s to .13s primarily If I'm correct.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
I think I'm gonna put some .08s on my strat in standard tuning and maybe some .10s or skinny tops heavy bottoms on my strat in Eb tuning. Both have .09s on at the mo.
TOKAI GOLDSTAR STRAT (SHELL PINK)
FENDER MIJ STRAT (ARCTIC WHITE)

EPIPHONE AJ ACOUSTIC LTD EDITION

ROLAND MICROCUBE