might sound confusing, but you know how when you turn the amp's gain high. Just touching the guitar makes it go off. Is their a way to do this without having the gain so high. thanks
LOL
You could try running your signal through a gain booster, followed by a compressor.
1996 Strat Plus (modded)
Peavey Classic 50
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Vox Clyde McCoy wah
Maxon AD-999 delay
Quote by CtrlBurn
You could try running your signal through a gain booster, followed by a compressor.

do musicians do this?
LOL
Compressor, definitely.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I mean... musicians do it more than other people. Which part of it are you unsure about?
1996 Strat Plus (modded)
Peavey Classic 50
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Vox Clyde McCoy wah
Maxon AD-999 delay
I'm not sure what you are talking about TS. Do you want your guitar to be very articulate and clear? That comes down to your EQ and pickups, regardless of gain.
I just nailed a tone like this today.
It's like you're using tons of distortion (sensitive to tapping, vibrato, lotsa sustain), but not distorted?
What I did, is I am using my strat running into a Danelectro Wasabi overdrive, then going into my modded tubescreamer, then into my peavey classic 50 lead channel (preamp gain dimed).

You could just buy a good compressor, but I believe using overdrives sounds more natural and adds more to your tone than a compressor would (more harmonics, smoother tone, just better to my ears)
Prepare for settings:

Guitar : Maxxed volume, neck pickup, maxxed tone knob (I have 500k pots on my strat. I believe in having a clear of a tone as possible on my guitar, then processing it into smoothness with my pedals and EQ, but this may be different if you're using a LP)

Amp:
Maxxed gain (or this translates to nice rock rhythm tone. Maybe lower gain AC/DC), rolled down treble, mids in the middle, bass cranked. High Gain or normal inputs, depends on which amp you have. Volume doesn't have to be high, just turn it up to whatever you want to set it.

Effects:

Alright, lets say you have a tubescreamer like OD. On mine, I have the tone knob accentuating the bass slightly, with the drive at noon, and giving a light volume boost.

With my Dano Wasabi OD (get one if you haven't, they're 20 bucks on MF), I let it give a slight overdrive. Not very much at all. Maybe halfway between noon and minimum. Roll off the tone completely, or set it very low, basically set to taste. Then give it a slight volume boost also. These settings will work on other OD's too, but it has to have a very smooth voice.

Together, it's basically a general Eric Johnson lead tone (think Desert Rose lead parts). It also sounds a bit gilmourish. Not sure if your gear will let you get this tonality though, so you may need to tweak your settings. These were just what worked for me, so it's a good starting point atleast.
Also, I should add that I tried getting this tone with only one overdrive. It just doesn't work. So, you need two. And I think it's a safe stretch to say that you need a tube amp.
Anyways, there's the days of sustain and sensitivity you want. And it's still only overdriven, not distorted at all. Every note still has it's clarity.

Or, once again, if you need a cheaper or easier solution, just get a compressor.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the wall of text.

~DAB7
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Feb 28, 2008,