I have a Squier bullet strat and a microcube.

The guitar is pretty cheap and I think the cube is decent. The distortion is pretty bad but I've seen other guitars used with the cube and it sounded alright. But anyway what should I change?
Bada Bing

FIGHT LIKE A BRAVE

Shaga shaga woop woop...woot woot funkay funkay!
I would say guitar in this case. MicroCubes are decent amps, the only reason the distortion is bad is b/c of your guitar.
Hmm yeah thats what I thought
Bada Bing

FIGHT LIKE A BRAVE

Shaga shaga woop woop...woot woot funkay funkay!
Well, most of the time with a good amp, the guitar doesn't have a big effect on it other then grunginess, or heaviness. Copy strats are a bit grungy, I know that but I'm not sure about actual Fender ones. The amp does make a bi difference though and the guitar as well. My opinion, get a new amp. Like a marshall or Line-6 .
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
Quote by -GuitarHero-
Well, most of the time with a good amp, the guitar doesn't have a big effect on it other then grunginess, or heaviness. Copy strats are a bit grungy, I know that but I'm not sure about actual Fender ones. The amp does make a bi difference though and the guitar as well. My opinion, get a new amp. Like a marshall or Line-6 .

... ts, please pay no attention to what he just said
Send me off to bed forevermore.
unless you need more volume(like for band practice) i would go with a new guitar
i you like strats fo with squier VM strat or with fender H1 if you have the money but i would not suggest the fender Standard
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
^Yeah get both..... but an amp would improve your overall sound most..... look at a Vox AD30VT... very good amp for the price.....
new guitar with humbuckers.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
NO. The right answer is ALWAYS new amp. You can play your Squire Bullet through a Fender Hotrod Deluxe and have it sound pretty damn good, or you can play a PRS Custom 24 through a Microcube and have it sound like ****e. Honestly, it should be a sticky... *BUY A NEW AMP FIRST*
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by poopsmith666
NO. The right answer is ALWAYS new amp. You can play your Squire Bullet through a Fender Hotrod Deluxe and have it sound pretty damn good, or you can play a PRS Custom 24 through a Microcube and have it sound like ****e. Honestly, it should be a sticky... *BUY A NEW AMP FIRST*

go for the guitar. microcube aint bad.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by RatmN'Roses

Even though Marshall and Line 6 are two of the best amp companies out there...

You're probably just thinking their 15w practice amps.
Quote by AngelOfHatred

Marshall is one of the best Amp company out there, Line 6 on the contrary would be better off being affiliated with Microsoft.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Try putting some new pickups in the strat. It's made out of a decent wood, and the Microcube is pretty cool. that should do it.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by 68_SG
Marshall is one of the best Amp company out there, Line 6 on the contrary would be better off being affiliated with Microsoft.

I guess you've never played any Line 6 amp but a 15w Spider?
Quote by 68_SG

Marshall and Line 6 equally screwed up with their expensive solid-state amps. I tried out a Spider Valve today through a Schecter C-1 Classic and it was utterly amazing.

But yeah, in a case like this, if you really don't need the extra volume or whatever, then go with a guitar. It'll be different feel-wise and might play faster/easier.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by AngelOfHatred
I guess you've never played any Line 6 amp but a 15w Spider?

I guess you've never played any Line 6 amp but a 75w Spider? It's the same just louder..
[quote="'[P|E|R|S|O|N"]']I guess you've never played any Line 6 amp but a 75w Spider? It's the same just louder..

It's actually not. I played a 15w one at the music store here and it sounded like sh*t.

The Vetta series are amazing amps. I've gotten the chance to gig with one once, and the sound was incredible.
get both, or if you can't afford it get a new amp man, it will have a bigger change on your tone
It's all about feel
the microcube is a decent amp. still use it for my room and when i'm hanging out w/ friends even though i have a nice Laney Tube Amp.

I say upgrade from the bullet to a HSS Mexican Strat, or maybe a midrange Schecter.
My Gear:

Schecter Gryphon Ruby Red

Dunlop Original Crybaby
Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive

Laney LC50
Vox AD15VT Valvetronix

My Youtube Channel, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnake77
Quote by AngelOfHatred

You tell em.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
This is coming dangerously close to a thread slating the Line 6 Spider and the Marshal MG. Please, there's plenty of threads in existence to do this!

TS, you have a decent amp. My guitar tutor uses one and I nealy bought one; I went for a Laney HCM30R instead, but oh well. The Squier Bullet Strat is, sadly, bottom of the pile. It's the cheapest of Squier's guitars - agathis body, generally cheap electronics. I think you'd be better off getting a new guitar.

Distortion tends to sound better with humbuckers (generalisation! Please don't flame me!), so you might want to upgrade to a guitar with humbucker pickups - an HSS Strat copy like a Pacifica should be a good one to go for. Or, if you prefer Gibson, look at Epiphone, decent quality guitars at reasonable prices loaded with humbuckers. Otherwise, Ibanez make some very decent low-grade instuments with humbuckers. Check out:
-Yamaha Pacifica HSS
-Squier Standard Fat strat
-Epiphone Les Paul/G-400
-Ibanez RG321

Any of these would be a good upgrade (well, not too sure on the Squier, but it's an idea...)

Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
I fully agree with quantum leap. Get first a new guitar, because in your case i think the guitar is holding you back more than the amp.

BUT

It would be nice that IF you can, you should probably look out for a deicent amp too. Because 70-80% of a good tone is thanks to a good (tube, or very good solid state) amp. The guitar hasnt got that much impact on your tone.

But for now i think the guitar is the first thing you should get rid of. Go surf some second hand sites like ebay for some guitars in your price range. But befor buying, ask someone who knows alot about guitars if your not going to make a bad deal.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by -GuitarHero-

Quote by RatmN'Roses

+120938120471959816259182641248917239812673801725631827152796351296512973

Recommending anyone who needs advice to get a Marshall or a Line-6 is just, well, no. They both make great amps, sure, but their starting amps aren't really worth the airspace they take up.
Microcubes are decent, but a Bullet is not too great if it's an older one (the new ones are Basswood instead of plywood). I'd get a new guitar. for about $430, you could get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by litus
unless you need more volume(like for band practice) i would go with a new guitar
i you like strats fo with squier VM strat or with fender H1 if you have the money but i would not suggest the fender Standard

+1 on the vm strat
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H