Hey guys, I need help. My little sister needs a new bass, atm she's playing a Yamaha RBX170 but it sucks for slapping and popping. She plays mostly funk and big band jazz at school, but at home she plays more rock, like Queens of the Stone Age and Muse. Preferably something under $800 AUD ($750 USD), and size and weight's not an issue as she's pretty built. She asked me for recomendations but I don't know **** about basses...any help appreciated
fender jazz bass is great for anything

or a schecter actually. those are pretty awesome
If I ever win the lottery, I will make a restaurant and call it "Thank you for calling, how may I help you" so when someone calls, I can say "Thank you for calling thank you for calling how may I help you how may I help you"
- Daniel Tosh
Quote by Pink Muse
Fender Standard Jazz Bass.

Can't go wrong with 'em.

+fitz
a Fender Jazz is the bass she needs. it will cover any sound required for now, and in a couple of years, she'll be able to "smartly" choose a bass, that suits her.
can't do wrong with a Jazz. imo
Both Nick Oliveri (QotSA bassist when they were good) and Chris from Muse use Jazz basses. I really can't think of anything else to suggest.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
+fitz
a Fender Jazz is the bass she needs. it will cover any sound required for now, and in a couple of years, she'll be able to "smartly" choose a bass, that suits her.
can't do wrong with a Jazz. imo

... fitz is a number?
Should I be flattered? :P

Also, for Muse, it'll work really well. Wolstenholme picked one up for Black Holes... and the tour, along with a double bass which I'm oh so jealous of.
Quote by Pink Muse
... fitz is a number?
Should I be flattered? :P

yes, you should be flattered than a pancake!
a +fitz is my, "gold seal" of approval!

back on subject.
if money is an issue, check-out Ibanez, and Schecter.
Oh, goody.

That should really be more than enough money for the Standard Jazz. Don't think of it as spending- think of it more as investing. The money'll be well spent. She can get a Jazz and be perfect, or save $50 and not have a great sound.