Poll: most influential band ever?
Poll Options
View poll results: most influential band ever?
the beatles
62 41%
led zeppelin
21 14%
the who
3 2%
black sabbath
18 12%
ac/dc
1 1%
other (reason)
23 15%
search bar
23 15%
Voters: 151.
Page 1 of 2
sabbath.. they are the godfathers of metal

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker
I think semen would be our biggest export...
We'd build an industry around it.

As if there hasn't been enough threads on this already.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
The Who, by far.

First uses of the Marshall stack.

First smashing of instruments on a stage.

Windmill technique, power slide, etc.

John's 'lead bass' playing, Keith's drumming

Among the first to use feedback in a recording

Among the first to use a whole array of laser lights in a show

These are not only innovations, but many things to draw influence from, and which have been drawn from.
What I don't get is what's so hard about using the searchbar.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
The Beatles. They changed music more than anyone ever has or will, and this is why:

When they hit the popular music world in 1962, there weren't a great deal of different genres in popular music. There was rock and roll, (and blues and jazz and so forth, but I'm not talking about those), but really only the one style of rock and roll. With their experimentations, they invented new subgenres.

Nowadays, if you take a variation on rock and roll, it's not something new, it's in another sub-genre. Those subgenres can all trace their roots back to The Beatles, who made rock and roll branch out into all its various incarnations.

That is to say, they planted the seeds that turned into punk (Revolution), metal (Helter Skelter), psychedelia (Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds), even rap, I'd argue (Come Together). They made the precursor to the concept album with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

So because of the musical atmosphere then and now, there just aren't as many opportunities to create something entirely new, never before seen. Which is not to say that modern bands can't be creative, but no one will be able to revolutionize music like The Beatles did.
Can't stop the signal.
It's probably the beatles.

But I voted Sabbath cus I don't like The Beatles.

Big whoop wanna fight about it?
*facepalm*

i didnt see the search bar option...
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by VivaLaJam
Metallica

I call Troll on that one (or at least hope, for the love of God, so)
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
these polls seriously blow.

besides the correct answer is N'Sync.

Also, you didn't put Bob Dylan on the poll, and he was just as influential as the Beatles, actually he was big Influence on the Beatles.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If you're talking about straight up rock then The Rolling Stones.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by jeremessmore
i did the other guys post sucked and didn't give options so i thought i would add something needed to it

My post did not suck, do you know how much the NY Dolls did for music? This is not the kind of thing you do a poll for.
Quote by jeremessmore
yes it is

No, it's not, all you did was put generic classic rock bands up there. There are far too many bands for a poll. Too many different people are influenced by different things for a poll. The Who are amazing though.
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Feb 28, 2008,
Quote by search49
That is to say, they planted the seeds that turned into punk (Revolution), metal (Helter Skelter), psychedelia (Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds), even rap, I'd argue (Come Together). They made the precursor to the concept album with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I think the ones who really influenced punk and metal are The Who, James Brown did a "rap song" way before The Beatles, and obviously The Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" pioneered psychedelic music first. The very first concept album was also The Who's Tommy. Of course The Beatles were very influential, but they weren't the only ones or first ones to do it by any means.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by StreetLight3989
No, it's not, all you did was put generic classic rock bands up there. There are far too many bands for a poll.

and who isn't influenced by classic rock other than people who influenced classic rock and for the people older or less influential i put other and search bar and you spelled influential wrong on your's
Jimi Hendrix!

He did all the things the who did
and yes, he did it before them
if not, they just so happened to think of it at the same time

REGARDLESS, Jimi out classed them in crazyness AND style

Not to mention a whole ****load of the pedals that are used today were designed SPECIFICALLY for him, and he mastered them better than anyone else has thus far

He's not the fastest shredder, but he could make a melody that'd make you cry and have wicked psycadelic funk on top with a little bit of crazy distorted hippie metal.

He Wins.
Quote by Code-E
Jimi Hendrix!

He did all the things the who did
and yes, he did it before them
if not, they just so happened to think of it at the same time

REGARDLESS, Jimi out classed them in crazyness AND style

Not to mention a whole ****load of the pedals that are used today were designed SPECIFICALLY for him, and he mastered them better than anyone else has thus far

He's not the fastest shredder, but he could make a melody that'd make you cry and have wicked psycadelic funk on top with a little bit of crazy distorted hippie metal.

He Wins.

i knew i was forgetting someone thank you
Quote by jeremessmore
and who isn't influenced by classic rock other than people who influenced classic rock and for the people older or less influential i put other and search bar and you spelled influential wrong on your's

Whatever, it's not worth arguing with you. I'm not influenced by classic rock in the slightest, it's not the only genre you know?
the very first concept album released was some folk album from the 20's also I think Jethro Tulls Thick as a Brick came out before Tommy.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever, it's not worth arguing with you. I'm not influenced by classic rock in the slightest, it's not the only genre you know?

well i'm sorry you listen to bands that are influenced by classic rock and btw i meant bands that are most influential to modern day music in your opinion not specifcly to you
Quote by jeremessmore
well i'm sorry you listen to bands that are influenced by classic rock and btw i meant bands that are most influential to modern day music in your opinion not specifcly to you

I actually don't listen to bands that are influenced by classic rock and yes I listen to modern music. Most modern music is influenced more so than punk than classic rock anyway.
Three bands:
Mayhem
Death
and
Candlemass

Perfected the best extreme metals
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by jeremessmore
ok then what you're saying is you're an emo?

No, I'm not emo, but I do love a ton of emo music. I listen to punk, ska, reggae, indie, emo, new wave, and rap and hip hop.
Anyone who thinks classic rock "influenced" more than a band or two doesn't know music. Classic rock brought nothing new to the table. It is simply a combination of different styles. Any classic rock song can be broken down into their basic roots.

jeremessmore, you fail at creating decent threads.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Page 1 of 2