Page 1 of 2
What marshall heads are in the range of $500 - $800 USED? And your opinion. All I know of really is DSL50 Or DSL100. I need good cleans and drive. RHCP, Sublime, Pepper, stuff like that.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I'd go with the MG100

[gasps]

y..y...you j..j..just suggested an MG!

[the sky begins falling and chicken little runs around saying "I told you!"]

seriously everyone hates the MGs and i used a small one and it was pretty crappy (although it was small) and i have no respect for solid state amplifiers (cuz me favorite bands use tubes!)

the DSL sounds like a good idea (just b/c it's better than the MG) although i dont know about it

why does it have to be Marshall?
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
Quote by led,rainsong
[gasps]

y..y...you j..j..just suggested an MG!

[the sky begins falling and chicken little runs around saying "I told you!"]

seriously everyone hates the MGs and i used a small one and it was pretty crappy (although it was small) and i have no respect for solid state amplifiers (cuz me favorite bands use tubes!)

the DSL sounds like a good idea (just b/c it's better than the MG) although i dont know about it

why does it have to be Marshall?

You have no respect for SS amps, yet you own one?

Get out!
I like the marshall tone more than anything. Sublime used JCM Combo. RHCP used marshalls along with others. Think pepper does, not sure
You can get a Marshall JCM900 head for around $500-$600 bucks. An 800 for around $550-$800.
High as tits
Quote by forsaknazrael
There's amps that do the Marshall tone better than Marshall at that price point.

Check out a Traynor YCV50 Blue. Best Marshall-voiced amp under 1000. They run for around 800 new, and around 400-600 used.

How can you do the Marshall tone better than Marshall? If its better, its not the Marshall tone...
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
How can you do the Marshall tone better than Marshall? If its better, its not the Marshall tone...

Because Marshall stuff is overpriced?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX

Because new Marshalls sound like ass in a can...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
But if it doesn't sound exactly like a Marshall, its not the Marshall tone...

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX

Note: Under 1000.
Any Marshall under 1000, brand new, is an MG. Which, if you knew anything, don't sound like a Marshall.
Even stuff like the DSL401 don't really do the Marshall name any justice.

Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX

There's A LOT of amps that do Marshall better than Marshall. The newer Marshalls that are out aren't all good representatives of the classic Marshall tone. The DSL401, the entire MG series, the Mode Four, the JCM2000 series, the Vintage Modern - all kind of a shame to the Marshall name.

Besides, the "Marshall" sound, to me, isn't really about the Marshall sound. It's about the sound of a generation of rock. For example, one of the best "Marshall" tones, Jimmy Page's...was not actually recorded on a Marshall, but on a small Supro tube amp. Jimi Hendrix was known to have used Fenders early in his career, and some tracks may have even been recorded on them. Eddie Van Halen played through Fender Bassmans early in his career. I could go on and on.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 28, 2008,
well persoally a JCM 900 or 2000 (they sound alot a like) but if you dont want 100watts the get a tiny terror
Quote by forsaknazrael
Note: Under 1000.
Any Marshall under 1000, brand new, is an MG. Which, if you knew anything, don't sound like a Marshall.
Even stuff like the DSL401 don't really do the Marshall name any justice.

There's A LOT of amps that do Marshall better than Marshall. The newer Marshalls that are out aren't all good representatives of the classic Marshall tone. The DSL401, the entire MG series, the Mode Four, the JCM2000 series, the Vintage Modern - all kind of a shame to the Marshall name.

No you ignorant douchebag, listen to what i'm trying to say before you say i don't know anything.

NOTHING can do the Marshall sound better than Marshall! Because that would mean Marshall sounds like another amp. You can't do something better than the original since that would be a different tone, hence not the marshall tone.

I LOVE KENSAI
thats why he said marshalls at THAT price...learn to read carefuly people
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX

Sorry, I guess I misread your sarcasm in the last post...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by Otsugua713
thats why he said marshalls at THAT price...learn to read carefuly people

I was talking about every marshall kinda got sidetracked.

I LOVE KENSAI
Last edited by RaNdoM-FeLiX at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
No you ignorant douchebag, listen to what i'm trying to say before you say i don't know anything.

NOTHING can do the Marshall sound better than Marshall! Because that would mean Marshall sounds like another amp. You can't do something better than the original since that would be a different tone, hence not the marshall tone.

Why don't you listen to me, douchebag...The Marshall tone isn't about the Marshall name, it's about that characteristic of the overdriven British amplifier, usually equipped with EL34s/KT77s/KT66s/KT88 (Though there is one Marshall design that uses 6V6s).

You CAN do something better than original. I don't see the problem with improving on the Marshall designs, by adding another gain stage, adding a master volume, or a better tonstack, or any of that. It's just a CIRCUIT.

You're the one who's ignorant, thinking the "Marshall" tone is about the name - it's about the sound of the classic British overdriven amp (For me, anyway. I enjoy the classic Marshall tone.). Every amp that's called its distortion, or can be described as being British in terms of tone, is a derivative of the "Marshall tone" (well, unless it's an EL84 circuit more resembling the Vox AC30 line of amplifiers).
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you listen to me, douchebag...The Marshall tone isn't about the Marshall name, it's about that characteristic of the overdriven British amplifier, usually equipped with EL34s/KT77s/KT66s.

You CAN do something better than original. I don't see the problem with improving on the Marshall designs, by adding another gain stage, adding a master volume, or a better tonstack, or any of that. It's just a CIRCUIT.

You're the one who's ignorant, thinking the "Marshall" tone is about the name - it's about the sound of the classic British overdriven amp (For me, anyway. I enjoy the classic Marshall tone.). Every amp that's called its distortion, or can be described as being British in terms of tone, is a derivative of the "Marshall tone" (well, unless it's an EL84 circuit more resembling the Vox AC30 line of amplifiers).

You still dont understand, read this part carefully, wait i'll put it in bold for you just to make it nice and simple, NO ONE CAN DO THE MARSHALL TONE BETTER THAN MARSHALL, i know ive said that a few times but it hasnt seemed to sink in.

No other amp can do the marshall tone better than the amp that created it, now listen to me, i'm not saying no other amp can do a better british overdriven sound, no, coz i know i heaps of amps can, i'm saying no amp can do the marshall tone better than a marshall, its not possible, because that would mean its a different tone, and that would make it not the marshall tone

nothing sounds more like a marshall than a marshall.

i also have a feeling were argueing over to different perspectives

I LOVE KENSAI
Ok, the thing that you don't understand is that the "Marshall Tone" is just an overdriven British influenced amp...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Ok, the thing that you don't understand is that the "Marshall Tone" is just an overdriven British influenced amp...

Of which the tone is recognizable as a Marshall.

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
Of which the tone is recognizable as a Marshall.

Except the first Marshall was a copy of a Fender amp?

And like I said, not all of the most recognizable "Marshall tones" were recorded with a Marshall. Pretty much any studio work Jimmy Page did was on a little Supro 6L6-equipped tube amp. But it sounds like a Marshall to me.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Except the first Marshall was a copy of a Fender amp?

And like I said, not all of the most recognizable "Marshall tones" were recorded with a Marshall. Pretty much any studio work Jimmy Page did was on a little Supro 6L6-equipped tube amp. But it sounds like a Marshall to me.

Wait, what? Like i said, i think were talking about different things... thats why we don't understand each other.

I LOVE KENSAI
Okay, well, then explain yourself. I said, the Traynor YCV50 Blue is the best amp under 1000 bucks, if you want "Marshall tone".

Which is an overdriven British sounding amp.

Then you said, no one can do Marshall better than Marshall. Which doesn't make sense, since the "Marshall tone" is just an overdriven British-sounding amp, and there's tons of companies who make British sound amps that I'd take over a Marshall.

I understand what you're saying, you're saying that Marshall's tone sound like Marshall because they ARE Marshall.

I'm saying that the Marshall tone is more like an ideal that isn't confined to a company. It's a sound the defines the second British invasion and British blues rock.
well maybe he didnt know the marshall tone was a term used to identify a british voiced amp....because if you dont know that, the saying: no amp can make the marshall sound better than marshall...well it makes a lot of sense
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
wtf, no i'm sick of arguing about this, i know what i'm trying to say but you dont understand for some reason.

i'll leave it at that.

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
wtf, no i'm sick of arguing about this, i know what i'm trying to say but you dont understand for some reason.

i'll leave it at that.

I edited my previous post.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I understand what you're saying, you're saying that Marshall's tone sound like Marshall because they ARE Marshall.

I'm saying that the Marshall tone is more like an ideal that isn't confined to a company. It's a sound the defines the second British invasion and British blues rock.

Quote by DiMeTiMe
^^OMG... further proving my point. Shut up about this load of crap already!

uhh..no?
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX

Of course Marshalls made in the 60's to 80's were best at getting the Marshall tone. Today, the Orange Rocker 30 beats the **** out of Marshalls if were talking about getting the classic Marshall tone.

An example of the Marshall tone would be AC/DC and Led Zeppelin.

EDIT: It's also true that the first Marshall design was copied from Fender. That was a tweed Fender that Marshall copied. It doesn't have scooped mids.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Last edited by splat102 at Feb 28, 2008,
Ok sorry to keep this going, but I just went and had a shower and in there I thought of a way to explain this to you

so now, for this example we'll use an apple ok? An Apple tastes like an apple(duh). people try to recreate the flavour of the apple everyday but you cant, because nothing tastes more like an apple, than an apple, the original, ok?

Now, remember now i'm talking about the Marshall TONE not the British overdriven sound (i know they pretty much the same thing but talk about the Marshall tone for a second here)

Ok, remember the apple? now, Marshall has its own distinctive British overdriven tone which is the Marshall tone. This is the original Marshall tone (not all models of course) So in saying that, nothing creates the perfect Marshall tone better the Marshall. nothing else in the world sounds more like a Marshall than a Marshall.

Hopefully I put it simply enough so we stop confusing each other. Oh and I'm not trying to be a smartass, i'm just trying to get you to understand MY point.

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
Ok sorry to keep this going, but I just went and had a shower and in there I thought of a way to explain this to you

so now, for this example we'll use an apple ok? An Apple tastes like an apple(duh). people try to recreate the flavour of the apple everyday but you cant, because nothing tastes more like an apple, than an apple, the original, ok?

Now, remember now i'm talking about the Marshall TONE not the British overdriven sound (i know they pretty much the same thing but talk about the Marshall tone for a second here)

Ok, remember the apple? now, Marshall has its own distinctive British overdriven tone which is the Marshall tone. This is the original Marshall tone (not all models of course) So in saying that, nothing creates the perfect Marshall tone better the Marshall. nothing else in the world sounds more like a Marshall than a Marshall.

Hopefully I put it simply enough so we stop confusing each other. Oh and I'm not trying to be a smartass, i'm just trying to get you to understand MY point.

Yes, 'cause the current Marshalls beat the Orange Rockers now does it? No.

When we talk about Marshall tone, we talk about tone, not about name. Just because it says Marshall doesn't mean it does the Marshall tone better.

The Orange Rocker 30 does the Marshall tone better. Your saying that it's different than Marshall because it's better. Wrong. I'm saying that the Orange does the classic tone of Marshall much better than the current production Marshalls.

If you want a classic rock tone, an Orange would be better, since modern Marshalls are poor copies of their former amps.

If you don't have money for Orange, the Traynor YCV50 Blue will be good. I won't even get a DSL. I'd get the Traynor.
Coming out March 2008

Oh my god! dude.

Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX

I know the orange does a better british overdriven tone for **** sake.

I'm not talking about name, apparently you are, i hate most marshall tones, i'm just trying to prove a point here but your continuing to prove your stupidity.

I LOVE KENSAI
Last edited by RaNdoM-FeLiX at Feb 29, 2008,
I already understood you.

But the "Marshall tone" is more like an ideal - it goes beyond the Marshall name - that's what I'm trying to get across. It's a tone that defined an era, not a tone defined by its label.

The problem here is that you believe that the Marshall tone is Marshall tone because it says Marshall. But like I said, it goes beyond the label. So if another company reproduces that "ideal tone" to a better degree than current production Marshalls, then it's doing the "Marshall tone" better than Marshall. If you haven't noticed, modern production line Marshalls don't recreate that "original Marshall" tone at all.

So, back to my original point, The Traynor YCV50 Blue does the Marshall thing better than any Marshall amp at the same price point, and even then some.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 29, 2008,
Let's see. Led Zeppelin has a Marshall tone. AC/DC has a Marshall tone. Deep Purple has a Marshall tone. The Orange does those things better than current production Marshalls, therefore Orange doing the Marshall tone better.
Coming out March 2008

Quote by forsaknazrael
I already understood you.

But the "Marshall tone" is more like an ideal - it goes beyond the Marshall name - that's what I'm trying to get across. It's a tone that defined an era, not a tone defined by its label.

The problem here is that you believe that the Marshall tone is Marshall tone because it says Marshall. But like I said, it goes beyond the label. So if another company reproduces that "ideal tone" to a better degree than current production Marshalls, then it's doing the "Marshall tone" better than Marshall. If you haven't noticed, modern production line Marshalls don't recreate that "original Marshall" tone at all.

So, back to my original point, The Traynor YCV50 Blue does the Marshall thing better than any Marshall amp at the same price point, and even then some.

NO I DONT! I think the british overdriven sound is what makes marshall's tone, but its its own distinctive sound.

And yes, as previously stated I am talking about the higher model marshall's so the traynor probably does a good job at REPLICATING the marshall tone at the price.

I LOVE KENSAI
Page 1 of 2