Is comcast's high speed internet service good for xbox live? Like not a lot of lag where it pisses people off and kick you out of games? Also, does the modem that they provide allow you to be on live and someone on the internet at the same time? I assume that would slow the connection down a bit right?
Listen to CKY.
Depends on how congested your grid is. And they give you a basic modem, you need a router to get more than one connection at a time. As far as XboxLive lag, I doubt you'll have any. DSL is much slower than cable and people with DSL don't lag very often.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
DSL is better for crowded neighborhoods and apartments, but Cable will work.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
I use it, and love it.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

Quote by visa
That made absoulutely no sense how do you tie your shoes in little nazi's?
yeah it does the job. maybe i hit up a halo 3 game with u some time... if u have it
Gear
-----------
LTD M-1000 (soon)
LTD EC-400
LTD F-50
Spider II 112
i say go for FiOS if you can
T1 connection FTW!
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Eastwood Ultra GP
beat up 1960's Gibson LGO acoustic
Quote by dennys 4 lif3
i say go for FiOS if you can
T1 connection FTW!

Cable and DSL are faster then T1.. you lose
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Quote by Timeless
Cable and DSL are faster then T1.. you lose

Shows how much you know... T1 is for colleges and businesses to have fast networks. Cable and DSL cannot compete with that.

Not to mention T1 runs about $300 a month.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
Shows how much you know... T1 is for colleges and businesses to have fast networks. Cable and DSL cannot compete with that.

Not to mention T1 runs about $300 a month.

uhh... do i really.... ok.. a T1 line is a combination of 24 DS0 lines, which are 64kbps.. which makes a T1 line run a 1.544 mbps, which is about 1/8 the speed of cabel.. the reason corpterations use it is beacause its up 24/7, your cable and DSL can go down everyonce and a while. and most places use T3 which is a combination of 26 T1 lines. giving it about 45mbps.. but thats off the top of my head.... so.. you lose.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Quote by Timeless
uhh... do i really.... ok.. a T1 line is a combination of 24 DS0 lines, which are 64kbps.. which makes a T1 line run a 1.544 mbps, which is about 1/8 the speed of cabel.. the reason corpterations use it is beacause its up 24/7, your cable and DSL can go down everyonce and a while. and most places use T3 which is a combination of 26 T1 lines. giving it about 45mbps.. but thats off the top of my head.... so.. you lose.

That is 1.5 up and down constant. DSL won't be that, and you're very luck if cable does. So now, which is faster?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
That is 1.5 up and down constant. DSL won't be that, and you're very luck if cable does. So now, which is faster?

Cabel. if your the only one on the line. Cable in my area is 10mbps download and around 3.5 mbps up load. wich is still almost 3 times faster upload then T1
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
I use comcast cable and never get lag and when I do it's because I'm under a host with a bad connection. I don't use a router I just shut my computer down and plug in my xbox.
Quote by Timeless
Cabel. if your the only one on the line. Cable in my area is 10mbps download and around 3.5 mbps up load. wich is still almost 3 times faster upload then T1

I want to know where you have your cable then. I am the only person on my grid and I get like 6 down and 1.2 up on a good day. T1 is constant, doesn't fluctuate like cable and DSL.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
I want to know where you have your cable then. I am the only person on my grid and I get like 6 down and 1.2 up on a good day. T1 is constant, doesn't fluctuate like cable and DSL.

Comcast, in Arizona. but thats why T1 is $300 and cable is $65. but T1, still blows. get a T3 line.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Quote by Timeless
Comcast, in Arizona. but thats why T1 is $300 and cable is $65. but T1, still blows. get a T3 line.

T3 is like $1,200 a month I think.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
T3 is like $1,200 a month I think.

'tis indeed. but its faster then cabel and DSL.. COMBINE. im done
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Quote by Timeless
'tis indeed. but its faster then cabel and DSL.. COMBINE. im done

OP, drop Comcast and get a T3.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by rokat91
yeah it does the job. maybe i hit up a halo 3 game with u some time... if u have it

sounds good.

I don't think i'll have too much trouble with congestion, not many people live around me. Whats a good router you guys would recommend? not something too pricey, but not a piece of **** either.
Listen to CKY.
Quote by cky_rocks
sounds good.

I don't think i'll have too much trouble with congestion, not many people live around me. Whats a good router you guys would recommend? not something too pricey, but not a piece of **** either.

Well you can call your internet company, and tell them that you need a gateway that works for Xbox Live, and they'll send you one. You have to pay like 8$ a month for it or something, but it's worth it because they give you high quality.
i have comcast high speed and i have a netgear router, not100% sure of the type but it has blue lights on it (if that helps) and everything works great, no lag no probs. i just wish the wireless network adapter for the 360 wasnt so damn expensive
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
Quote by fob12
Well you can call your internet company, and tell them that you need a gateway that works for Xbox Live, and they'll send you one. You have to pay like 8$ a month for it or something, but it's worth it because they give you high quality.

Don't do this.

I bought a $40 Netgear wireless 802.11g router, and it works perfectly. Don't spend more than you have to.
If you have a laptop/ are planning on using the Xbox close to your computer and want to use it "wirelessly" (there's still a wire, but it's a lot easier to do than connecting to a router), you can set your computer to allow other devices to connect through your computer's Internet connection. I use my laptop up in my room (my router is downstars) and hook my Xbox up with a normal cat-5 cable and it works very well. Almost never lags.
<Han> I love Hitler
Well completly ramdom here but the Japs get like 10TB's/s that's insane. But no lag with comcast, you wont b party leader with it though.
dude just get a POS router, or a nice linksys one, It really dosent matter I'm sure you can just get a line splitter and be good. You can get maybe a linksys router, without any wireless for 30 bucks
You should be fine with a cable connection. Anything with a 3 meg connection or higher is plenty for online gaming. Just make sure you get a router that matches your connection speed. Theres no point in buying a POS router that can't even handle your connection speed. Invest in a good router and you should be fine with xbox live.
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Godin Lg (Dimarzio Evo2 and Air Norton)
-Fender MIM Strat with hotrails
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
I'm going to be using an ethernet cable to connect my 360 to the internet, so i don't know if that helps. and what the hell does party leader mean?
Listen to CKY.
i use FiOS and i never get lag except when the host is lagging.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
I use Cablevision and I sometimes get TERRIBLE lag (particulary when using the headset on Halo 3). However, I don't think it's the connection's fault as Cablevision services the N.Y.C. area, meaning that over 10 million people are on the servers at once, thus slowing down the connection badly.

Oh, and in response to cky rocks, the "party leader" is similar to a host, except he/she is only in charge of the specific group of friends that your playing with for more than one game. Basically, party leaders usually aren't the hosts of the whole game, but their team or whoevers in their party (hence the name)
Last edited by MattIsTheCosby at Mar 1, 2008,
I see. Could someone help me out with the router question? I know people made suggestions but I think they're wireless routers, where as i just want to plug my 360 into with an ethernet cable. or could i do that with the modem comcast gives you? I should have mentioned that I wanted to use an ethernet cable in my first post. sorry.
Listen to CKY.