so wait..your saying that a scale starts (say the A Major scale) where ever the first A is?
Yeah, the beginning of a scale isn't always the top note on the 6th string. You start on the lowest root note.
Quote by joyal09
how do you read scales?

I read them from the 6th string to the 1st string, so E to E
Quote by Fig221
Yeah, the beginning of a scale isn't always the top note on the 6th string. You start on the lowest root note.

are you positive about this?
An A scale always starts with an A note. However, many fingering patterns that start on the A string will include notes on the E string just to show every note in the scale in that area of the neck. For instance, you can write an A minor pentatonic scale fingering like this, even though there will be notes lower than the lowest A.

e----------------------------------------12-15-
B--------------------------------13-15----------
G------------------------12-14-----------------
D----------------12-14--------------------------
A---------12-15---------------------------------
E-12-15----------------------------------------

You would still describe the A minor pentatonic as A C D E G, not E G A C D, but this pattern allows you to see every note in the scale that is in that position.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
An A scale always starts with an A note. However, many fingering patterns that start on the A string will include notes on the E string just to show every note in the scale in that area of the neck. For instance, you can write an A minor pentatonic scale fingering like this, even though there will be notes lower than the lowest A.

e----------------------------------------12-15-
B--------------------------------13-15----------
G------------------------12-14-----------------
D----------------12-14--------------------------
A---------12-15---------------------------------
E-12-15----------------------------------------

You would still describe the A minor pentatonic as A C D E G, not E G A C D, but this pattern allows you to see every note in the scale that is in that position.

can the notes from a scale in the chord be in any order, as long as it has the root?
Quote by Minoroffense
can the notes from a scale in the chord be in any order, as long as it has the root?
In music, yes. In fact, you should skip around a bit; it will sound better. However, A D E C G is not the A minor pentatonic scale. It is a lick from the A minor pentatonic, but the scale must be written as A C D E G.

I have no clue what you mean by "from a scale in the chord." Please explain this phrase.
his question kind of reminds me how the fifth cycle starts one before the root note. Like how Amajor's fifth pattern starts with D.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
In music, yes. In fact, you should skip around a bit; it will sound better. However, A D E C G is not the A minor pentatonic scale. It is a lick from the A minor pentatonic, but the scale must be written as A C D E G.

I have no clue what you mean by "from a scale in the chord." Please explain this phrase.

I think he's referring to keys as chords (simply using the I chord to represent the key), i.e. all notes in the key of A minor would be "from a scale in the Am chord". I might be wrong, but that would be my first guess.
Quote by Minoroffense
okay, howcome major scales dont start out with the note of that scale. lates say the A scale. that starts out with an E, not and A, and E.

my source is:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_scales/major_scales_ver2_tab.htm

if the scale doesnt start out with the root of that scale, how ever are you supposed to make a chord out of it?

All scales start on their root note, that's the definition of a scale. However, there's a difference between a scale and a scale pattern. A scale is a musical term, it's a repeating pattern of notes that follow a set pattern of intervals over a single octave.

Now, a scale pattern on the guitar is simply a snapshot of where those notes occur in a particular place on the fretboard. They'll always follow the same pattern of intervals but because the notes repeat multiple times on the guitar scale patterns go both up and down so the first note of a pattern may not be the root note of the scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com