Do all decent guitarists know where all the notes are located on the guitar?

I'll be honest, jamming with my friends is difficult as **** because we cannot coordinate ourselves.

Therefore, should I take the time to learn the entire fretboard?

Thanks.
If you don't know the notes on the 5th and 6th string, you should learn them.
Yeah, you should. However, once you start using things a lot, you'll be surprised how easily you can learn it.

Memorizing the fretboard isn't the most fun part of playing guitar, but it's a good thing when you know how to use the instrument.
You really only need to learn the first 12 frets since they repeat. I wouldn't say its necessary, but it will really help.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
if you want to seriously play anything more advanced than pop punk or whatever, then yes. Basic theory is good too.
Just learn the first 12 frets, know where your octaves are and such...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
whats the best way to learn them. scales? solos?

or just straight-out memorization (which i don't think is really out of the question)

i appreciate the quick replies guys!
You'll want to memozize a few notes, just to have some kind of reference. If you know where the A notes are, you can figure out the others with your knowledge of intervals.

I suggest doing most of your learning through scales and solos. You might as well get two things out of each practice session rather than just one thing.
I don't think learning all the notes is really important. It's more important to know where intervals are. Like, it doesn't really matter if you know where an F# is as long as you know how to find an octave or a fifth of it. The relationships between the notes are more important than the notes themselves. This is especially true if you alternate between tunings often.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
It will help you, but you don't really need to learn it. I would suggest learning the fretboard though.
It can only help and it isn't hard.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Like above, it helps. Most online tutors will use note names for a quicker lesson. But it does take alot of time to learn them, because one note that is sharp or flat can be the sharp or flat of a another note, otherwise known and Enharmonics. I learned the note names of the frets 1-4 on each string, and I'm fine when it comes to online lessons and tablature. But knowing your note names is not nesscecary.
I think eventually it is necessary, and regardless if your not stoned or drunk while you play I would imagine your going to memorize them eventually.

Just man up and learn them and show up the rest of the guitar players in your area.
What about for playing with other musicians? That's why i'm worried. I can play tabs, but it's when it comes to just creating music myself that I'm lost. Either I imitate another guitarist, or nothing at all.
Learn your scales and how the fit in with different chords and progressions, then learn how to solo. Vibrato bending hammer on's stuff like that.
Well yeah stoned or drunk applies.

I have memorized the notes to some degree. But well, it's really like rolling a three-sided dice instead of six. Which isn't satisfactory.
Quote by APimpNamedSlick
Do all decent guitarists know where all the notes are located on the guitar?

I'll be honest, jamming with my friends is difficult as **** because we cannot coordinate ourselves.

Therefore, should I take the time to learn the entire fretboard?

Thanks.

You've really answered your own question ther - currently your jam sessions are like a bunch of people trying to have a conversation in different languages.

Try this:
There's only 12 notes on the guitar, they just keep repeating...it's only difficult if you don't take the time to break it down.

Here...

1 - learn the open strings...E, A, D, G, B, E
2 - familiarise yourself with the pattern of intervals along the open string, you don't even need to learn it by heart yet, just have it for reference.

3 - realise that the 12 fret is the octave of the open string, and therefore the same note.
4 - realise that the pattern of intervals is constant, so 12 th fret onwards is identical to open string onwards.

... as far as working out notes goes you are currently never more than 6 frets away from a reference note. However, counting along 6 frets is kind of clunky and not particularly easy, but it's a start.

5 - learn the notes that correspond to the next open string, so 5th fret on the E, A, D and B strings, 4th fret on the G

...all of a sudden you're never more than 3 frets way from a known reference note. All of a sudden working out the notes you don't know became a lot easier...almost twice as easy, in fact.

6 - locate the other octaves of the open notes, first the ones on the next string... 7th fret on the A, D, G and high E strings, 8th fret on the B string. Then the octaves two strings away so 2nd fret on the D and G strings, 3rd fret on the B and top E.

7 - in the same way, locate the octaves of the notes you learned in step 5

...all of a sudden you're now never more than 1 fret away from a known reference note!

Quote by OThugSd
I don't think learning all the notes is really important. It's more important to know where intervals are. Like, it doesn't really matter if you know where an F# is as long as you know how to find an octave or a fifth of it. The relationships between the notes are more important than the notes themselves. This is especially true if you alternate between tunings often.

I don't follow you - how exactly are you supposed to find things relative to something you don't know in the first place?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If we say yes will you learn them?

If so, yes.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Is there any really good map picture of the notes you know? I google but I can't really find a good one.
Quote by steven seagull

I don't follow you - how exactly are you supposed to find things relative to something you don't know in the first place?

I was just thinking that whilst reading his post...