First, I may get bumped from this thread to another section. I hope not. I thought I'd get a faster response since this is the bass section. I recently got a Geddy Lee Jazz and the action is a little too high. I've never tried any adjustments on a bass before such as lowering the action. Is this something relatively easy to do? I really don't want to get it really "out of whack". I guess I can lower the saddles on the bridge? If so, at what increments? Thanks for any help.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
Well, sight down the neck. Is there a curve? How much of one? Ideally there should be a slight forward bowing for a standard setup. If the curve is fine then lower the saddles a few turns each time (it shouldn't take too much) and then play it. You'll then probably have to adjust intonation.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Well, sight down the neck. Is there a curve? How much of one? Ideally there should be a slight forward bowing for a standard setup. If the curve is fine then lower the saddles a few turns each time (it shouldn't take too much) and then play it. You'll then probably have to adjust intonation.

I'll have to give this a try tomorrow after work. Thanks, your help is appreciated.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
setting the action involves 3 aspects of the instrument. the truss rod, the radius of the fretboard, and the bridge. this site should get you started.
http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/
I got the action lowered today on the Geddy. I took it back to the GC in St. Louis where I bought it. The Geddy is a little different to adjust. You have to take off the pick guard and loosen the neck to get to the truss adjustment. That's kind of a pain. Anyway, it worked and it feels and sounds better. Thanks for the help to all that replied to this thread.