So I'm currently working on 3 different guitars and I figured I'd share them on here. Basically I'll post the initial pics and my general plan for each one, then I'll keep you guys updated as I progress (if anyone seems to care). Feel free to give any suggestions or ask questions.

This is a cheap Epi I picked up from Guitar Center for $100. The clerk was trying to talk me into something else because "this one sounds like it's made from plywood". My plan is to stick a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck and a SP90-2 in the bridge. Or the other way around, I'll have to give them both a try.

This one is my baby. The first guitar I ever owned, and the only thing original is the body and bridge. Currently has EMG SA/SA/81, but that may change soon. Haven't decided to what yet, so give me some ideas. I'm also going to mount LEDs under each string between the neck and pickup. They'll be controlled with the switch that as of right now is just chilling out.

This one I haven't done much too, just replaced the bridge pup with an Air Norton. Originally set it up for slide but I wasn't any good at it so I went back. The Air Norton is connected to a switch for Series/Coil-Tapped/Parallel.

So yeah that's it for now, I've got to pick up some supplies over the weekend and then I'm going to work on these all some more.
The cheap epi IS made out of plywood! or basswood.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
The cheap epi IS made out of plywood! or basswood.

Most Japanese made guitars are basswood. What's your point?
Why don't you save up your money and get a better guitar, rather than spending god knows how much on pickups. You can't make a **** look better by polishing it.
Real men don't need sigs.
Quote by dgervin839
Why don't you save up your money and get a better guitar, rather than spending god knows how much on pickups. You can't make a **** look better by polishing it.

+1

You can't polish a turd.

Quote by dgervin839

Why is that always the answer any time somebody talks about modding a guitar? Last time I checked this was the Building and Customizing forum. If I wanted to just buy a new guitar I would. I'm beginning to wonder if anybody in here has done more than just replace a pup. And by the way, the electronics in a guitar make WAY more difference than the type of wood it's made of.
Quote by SpiggidyBob
Why is that always the answer any time somebody talks about modding a guitar? Last time I checked this was the Building and Customizing forum. If I wanted to just buy a new guitar I would. I'm beginning to wonder if anybody in here has done more than just replace a pup. And by the way, the electronics in a guitar make WAY more difference than the type of wood it's made of.

I've done stripping, resprays, pickup installation, neck adjustment, complete rebuilds, mod circuits, quick electronics mods, and other minor stuff. The only things I've not done, are neck builds (freboard cutting, fret dressing, or inlay work), and making bodies from scratch.

About the Epiphone, if it's made of ****ty, cheap wood, a good pickup will be wasted on it.. unless you're running with enough EQ work to completely reshape the tone. You'll lose a lot of the dynamics though, so the money would definitely be better saved for a cheap, nice-bodied guitar. The only real

As for the Strat copy, I'd just leave it as it is.. but that's me.

A fuzz circuit or a sustainer would be pretty cool in the semi.

W/e.
I dont really think the wood makes THAT much difference. I've heard of a test that was done where a plywood guitar and and a alder guitar were played and a subject listened to them blind folded and the subject couldn't tell the difference.

I'm not saying id go out and build a guitar out of plywood, though.

However, i think if he has the cash to spend to do mods and he wants to do them, who are we to tell him he cant?

At the end of the day its usually only about doing it because its fun

good luck dude
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
i think that epi is made out of alder, but i could be wrong.
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
The epi is plywood, I had the same guitar 'cept it was an SG and it was plywood.
Weekend Warrior