I'm looking to put some active pups in my mexi strat and wanna know what you guys think. I've been looking at a number of EMG's, VG20, SV, SAV, etc... I want a nice hot dirty sound but still a nice clean as well. Thanks!
Why do they have to be active?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Wow dude, you're lucky you deleted that post. I was about to flame you.
Active single coils are pointless, IMO.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why do they have to be active?

They don't HAVE to be but that's what I want. If you have a suggestion I'd like to hear it.
Quote by kool98769
Wow dude, you're lucky you deleted that post. I was about to flame you.
Active single coils are pointless, IMO.

I suppose thats why David Gilmour uses them, because they are pointless. If anyone has an actual suggestion that would be great haha. I understand the drawbacks to active pups, I don't need a lecture.
I quite like the SAs, I was going to put them in my Strat but put DiMarzios in it instead, glad I did.

I highly recommend them for anything really. I put a YJM, HS-2 and ToneZone S in it, but if you want all singles, a HS-3 would work instead of the ToneZone. Really nice sounding pickups, the YJM has a really nice warm lead sound, they all have different tones to them, but in a good way.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jordan8865
I suppose thats why David Gilmour uses them, because they are pointless. If anyone has an actual suggestion that would be great haha. I understand the drawbacks to active pups, I don't need a lecture.

Gilmour USED to use them. During the last two Floyd albums and his solo work during that period. The only reason he switched over was because the radio interference from all the lights; they caused passive pickups to buzz too much. He's switched back to his Black Strat a few years ago because the buzz isn't a problem anymore. not sure why, though.

(Sorry, I'm Gilmour disciple.)

But, yeah, if you want active pickups the David Gilmour set is as good of an idea as any. Just listen before you get them, though, some say they're more akin to humbuckers than single-coils.

The solos in this should give you an idea of the tone: http://youtube.com/watch?v=10HEi_NaJn4

Info on that song from Gilmourish.com (CE-2 being part of the EQ system on the pickups, apparently):
Learning to Fly
Fender Stratocaster
- rhythms (bridge pickup); overdrive and CE-2
- solo/fills (neck pickup); overdrive, CE-2 and delay

Hope this helps.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe