Do prefer a raw sort of sound or a mellow bluesy tone?

I like a good raw metal tone, it just kicks ass

Btw, the search bar came up with nothin
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
depends on what im playing. i boost my mids to holy hell when im playing, gets more in your face and cuts like none other. for leads, as much sustain as possible is best, natural sustain though, not sustain caused by distortion. thats just annoying
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Same here, raw metal tone with enough distortion, but not overkill. Not too much scoopage either
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
I have several tones I use...
I'll rattle them off, and describe them.

Clean Tone: Warm, with a high bass level, but not too much. With a small mid spike and some cut treble. This sounds like it would wind up being too bassy for cleans, but I have my strat's 500k tone pots dialed up all the way. So it makes up for it.

Clean Lead: Basically above with either a cranked amp, or my DOD grey 250 on.

OD Rhythm: On my amp's lead channel, I have my preamp gain dimed (really not a whole lotta gain), and my tubescreamer spiking the volume a bit, rolling down the highs, and adding a mid hump and it's own brand of OD. Think SRV.

OD Rhythm 2: Same as above, minus the tubescreamer and insert clean boost. Basically same thing, but twangy and crunchy, with more treble.

OD Lead: Danelectro Wasabi OD and Tubescreamer both on, the settings are a bit complex. Anyways, I have them both on.
Thus... Days of sustain, compressed, smooth as whipped butter, and just all around pretty good (this is kind of like a David Gilmour tone crossed with an Eric Johnson lead tone).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It really depends.....Sometimes I hook up my distortion pedal and play highly distorted stuff and sometimes I'll turn my amp distortion to 2 or 3 or none at all and play soft for a while...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I like very smooth jazzy cleans, and slight to moderate breakup when i go for a distorted sound. I feel so old sometimes lol.
Carvin Ct4.
Traynor 15 watt class A tube amp.
Fulltone Deja Vibe.
Vox Wah.

~Derek Trucks~
most of the time, i just look for a nice punchy punk tone. which my Gibson Les Paul Junior gives me....but it would sound so much nicer with a tube amp =\
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
I love me a good solid metal tone, gain cranked but not so much as to sound like a tornado is inside my amp. I used to scoop my mids but when i found a drummer I realized it just doesn't work. Lots of low end to get that solid chunk. I use a little small room verb because of the room I jam in with the band.

Clean I just throw on a little reverb and drop the lows a little bit.
Well my tones are:

Clean, sometimes with chorus (when i get a chorus pedal) or delay: bright and sparkly (bright switch engaged), very clear. usually using a fender strat.

Gritty Crunch: Distortion mode on my Marshall JH-1 pedal into the clean channel of my laney amp with the bright switch on. Since i can't easily switch between OD and distortion mode on this pedal i might get a Boss DS-1 for this tone, as it is actually closer to what i'm looking for for crunch.

OD rhythm: The overdrive channel on my laney with the gain about about 3-5.

OD Lead: Same as OD rhythm but with my JH-1 on overdrive mode with gain at about 10 o'clock position. This is also my tone to load with FX such as delay and chorus... just need a chorus pedal lol. Its smooth and rich in harmonics.

all has a little sprinkle of reverb from the amp.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Im just starting out on the guitar but Im really digging the blues sound. Im a metalhead at heart and dig the raw sound as well but just something about blues that gets to me.
Raw cold Black Metal tone. Hard to get the perfect BM tone... Anybody got any tips?
i got 3 favourites:

First is the soft, warm tone that you'll get if you put more mids and bass. I like the soft tone with my strat.

Second is light tube overdrive. You can hear the clear sound and if you play a little harder, it starts to bring the overdrive more up.

Third is a metal tone that isnt raw. I like it to sound warm and at like Drop D tuning i like when it has a "urrrrrrr" sound. Something like in Korn.
darkarbiter....you had me drooling with those descriptions. doesn't it make a lot of noise when you have both overdrive pedals on? anyway, not to spam:

Stratocaster clean: bass at full, mids spiked, treble 5 or 6. real creamy with master at 6 and volume at 2 or 3 and on my neck p-up (on blues junior)

Strat overdrive: mostly the same EQ as clean, but the volume is cranked to 10-12, or i use my Blues Driver. treble is cut down. Sometimes I turn the volume on my guitar down if i want to get clean quickly.

LP overdrive/distortion: bass is 9 or 10, mids 6 or 7, treble around 5. either with volume on amp cranked all the way, or I use my DS 1 (soon to be replaced with Big Muff) or Blues Driver.

I occasionally use a completely destroyed Ibanez chorus pedal, but it's noisy (especially withi my DS 1) but it sounds great for some RHCP type stuff.
Last edited by strat335 at Feb 29, 2008,
I crank my mids and treble to like 8 and put my bass at about four, then put the gain on four /w boost
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by strat335
darkarbiter....you had me drooling with those descriptions. doesn't it make a lot of noise when you have both overdrive pedals on? anyway, not to spam

Why, Thanks!
You'd think it'd make alot of noise, but it really isn't. My modded tubescreamer is already silent at it's current settings, and the dano really doesn't have much at all.
In some cases, the danelectro is quieter than my tubescreamer.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i perfer a raw sound, but with single coils, nothing beats it, in my opinion.
not what most people would think though, i mean a reallly really overdriven strat, nothing is more intense imo
I tend to go for enough distortion to get a good messy sound going, pulls the harmonics out, but not so much that you can't tell what I'm even playing.
Think Randy Rhoads Tribute album. That is the ultimate tone.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H