Hey.
I've been making alot of these "is this safe" threads lately. Oh well.
Anyways, today, I nailed a tone that i'm gonna keep, well, one of my like 10 that I use. Anyways, the cool thing about this tone, is that everything is really compressed and it's like having alot of distortion, minus the distortion. So... sustain UP THE WAZOO! But, it does have alot of overdrive characteristics to it though, so it's not clean by any stretch.
So... This is what I do: With my chosen pedals turned on, I hit a note (I noticed that it's easiest to get alot of sustain on the eleventh fret on the g string). I then apply vibrato, and the note sustains strongly for about 10 seconds, then it's like the main note fades away, then it's just harmonics, but it's at the same volume as before. These can go on for a long time. I let it sustain for 30 seconds before, but I don't want to do it again yet, incase it can hurt my amp. I'm not sure if it's feedback or what, but it sounds like i'm sustaining a harmonic for a long time.

So, my question is: If I hold this note/harmonic for a while, is it possible to hurt my amp? If not, i'm serious that it could probably sustain for a minute or more.
And this is with a strat too...

Sorry if this question is confusing, i tend to have confusing threads when i'm tired (it's 11 pm here)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Sounds like feedback to me. Learn to control that with every note, and you've got it made.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
that shouldnt hurt it
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
it doesnt sound like it should hurt your amp, amps arent as delicate as people tend to think, you seem safe to me.
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
It is neither a Road, nor an Island. Discuss
Noise is suposed to come out of your amp, so why would it matter if youre getting feedback with your sweet harmonic sustain? which reminds me, I stepped into the shower this morning and almost right away I got wet head to toe, is this ok for my skin? or possibly my shower is broken
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Quote by redneck516
Noise is suposed to come out of your amp, so why would it matter if youre getting feedback with your sweet harmonic sustain? which reminds me, I stepped into the shower this morning and almost right away I got wet head to toe, is this ok for my skin? or possibly my shower is broken

Prolonged exposure to water can cause your skin to peel. You should see a professional to make sure it's okay.
Yeah, I was just checking.
I've learned to control it though already. When I don't apply vibrato straight from the beginning, the note fades out at around a few seconds, then I start vibrato-ing when the harmonic kicks in.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The biggest things to worry about amp safety wise is...

No specific order...but problems
1. Correct ohm matching output
2. Correct wattage (cab always = or more than the head)
3. Using a speaker cable
4. Poor Tube Biasing
5. tube problems, old tubes, redplating, etc.
6. playing out of guitar's frequency, don't expect your speakers to hold up when you play a 5 string bass through your amp
7. Leaving your amp on for prolonged periods of time
8. Abuse, poor conditions
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio