Ok so, I've just come into like 5000 dollars from a will(don't ask), and I'm gonna use it to help fund my 3 piece band. Seeing as I know how to play bass a little(I can pop, slap a little bit) I decided I would take that position because 2 guitarist would be useless, and I wanna play bass some more. So I need someone to recomend me a bass for like 800 dollars or less. The rest of the money is for amps and recording stuff. the band is kinda rock. Its hard to explain it really because it's not exactly punk but it has elements of that, and ska but without horns. Here really is the only bass I've looked at, which is a big step up from the squier p-bass on lone to me.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laguna-Ocean-TB70-Neck-Thru-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=514188

Is this good? Would you recomend another. Please tell me if you do and why.
Thanks so much!
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I would definitely check out the Highway One Fenders. The Precision and the Jazz are just so amazingly versatile. Everyone and there brother has one for a reason.

What are you looking at for amp?
Last edited by Captain Insano at Feb 28, 2008,
ok, i'll check em out
and for an amp I'm gonna get an ampeg cab and head
or maybe there 350 one that's 100 watts my friend has one of those as well as the school and it's a really great amp
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by DanielQ
Just a comment; two guitarists are useless. A second guitar can add A LOT to any sing.

very true, but in a 3 peice, like he mentions, a guitarist and a bassist and a drummer is much better than 2 guitarists and a drummer

but yes, second guitarists are great,coming from a 3 peice into a 4 peice like I have done recently has really made me appreciate the idea of them
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I agree with looking at Highway One Fenders. Also look to see if you can get an American made Fender used, they're a little better than the H1's.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Flip your budget around between your amp and bass. I'd spend much more on an amp than a bass.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
That Laguna looks very nice

Though i have a sneaking suspicion that it's exactly the same as a Cort A4 (that's a good thing btw)

Cort

Laguna
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
That Laguna looks very nice

Though i have a sneaking suspicion that it's exactly the same as a Cort A4 (that's a good thing btw)

Cort

Laguna

Youre right, that looks EXACTLY like the Cort A4 (except for the headstock). Cort manufactures about 70% of all guitars/basses sold, so there are some guitars/basses that share close relations with Cort products. I saw in GC yesterday a 5-string bass that looked almost EXACTLY like the Cort A5 (cant remember the name of it).
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
^it's like i saw and ESP guitar the other day for AU$3000 when the body pups etc. are exactly the same as an AU$1600 Cort guitar, Which one would you buy?
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
With this being said, is Cort the way to go?
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero
With this being said, is Cort the way to go?

The "way to go" is to go to a music store, try ALL the basses in your price range and decide which one you like.

And I'd recommend getting an amp that's more powerful than 100W if you're planning at all to do ANY gigs EVER. At least 200W, IMO. Plus, I've found tht 100W is just BARELY enough to get heard over guitar and a loud drummer.
I really like the Schecter Basses. Check out the Stilettos.
------------
OhMyGosh123
I agree with charlaton on this one, you need to go to a music store and try out a good number of basses until you find one that fits the style you like. Either that or you can try to explain to us better what bands influence you etc, so we can help you.
Quote by Charlatan_001
The "way to go" is to go to a music store, try ALL the basses in your price range and decide which one you like.

And I'd recommend getting an amp that's more powerful than 100W if you're planning at all to do ANY gigs EVER. At least 200W, IMO. Plus, I've found tht 100W is just BARELY enough to get heard over guitar and a loud drummer.

Yeah well, the music stores I've been to haven't quite satisfied me.
and we mic up our instruments.

As for Bands that Influence our band...Pretty much anything Pop-Punk, blink-182, Green Day, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte.
Punk as well of course, NOFX, Black Flag, Anti-Flag. Stuff like that.
Quote by barden1069
Last edited by RealGuitarHero at Mar 16, 2008,