Well, I've decided to crack the whip and finish this song off.

The only problem is the counting off the riff that starts at 1:40 or so, and continues on for a bit (the one that's 9/8?)

Now, I'm pretty sure it's 9/8, unless I'm sorely mistaken or because it's under a different name. I do know x/8 general has the bounce feel to it, so that's why I think the name of the sig might be wrong.

That aside, if this were any other song, I could count it. problem? Lars. i hate his drumming. At least in the sense of counting the song. I start counting, even tapping my foot to try and keep time (I do know I'll have to miss an 8th), but it seems that the drum line throws me off and I can't correctly count it.

I know there's many tabs, but NONE I've seen have the time signature.

So, could anyone help me out? I want to know the rhythm used, with which notes (can't hear when exactly they kick in the b2.)

Something along the lines of " an eight, two sixteens on E, then _____ on A, etc, etc."

I don't want a tab, or tab formats, I want the actual theory behind it. The reason I ask is because this is starting to piss me off a bit, and I think others would have better counting this than I do.

Sorry this is muddled and rambling,I'm way too damn tired. Low blood sugar, don't ya know.
i kno its against everything youve learned but if the drums are throwing you off dont listen to them.....i never had a problem with the timing of that song (accept the solo) so jsut listen to the bass and guitar

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
well, from what i've heard it changes time signatures throughout the song...
starts:
4/4
6/8
2/8
back to 4/4
3/4
and then finally back to 4/4
the book i have says it stays in 4/4 til the slower part and thats in 6/8. it stays in six 8 til after the final bass solo where it has a bar of 2/8 then goes to 4/4 for the rest except one bar of 3/4.
Quote by Narcotics
i kno its against everything youve learned but if the drums are throwing you off dont listen to them.....i never had a problem with the timing of that song (accept the solo) so jsut listen to the bass and guitar

I know that's hard, I'm trying to do it. Just damn annoying the bass is so low, and the drums dominate.

As for the music book, Teh-Bassman, it's wrong. I know it is, I've looked at it. It's missing parts. There is no bass solo in it, and it does NOT have the odd time signature written in. If I'm correct, it has them make a tuplet instead, with something like 5 or six notes maybe crammed at the end of a bar of 4/4, and that's wrong. That's why I chose not to buy the MoP sheet music. It was done badly. RtL and KEA were well done, but MoP was a huge let-down, sheet-music wise.

That being said, I'm still going to try and count it out. just wish I could adjust some levels. Damn Lars has to piss me off. I'm pretty sure the timing is three bars 4/4 and one bar 9/8.

Now to get the rhythm down...
well, what i'd do is stop trying to count it, and just play the riff, whenever i try and tap my foot or count along to any weird time signiture i make an arse of it, what else you could do is put it into power tab, that'd solve the problem of the drumming.
It's in 4/4, I'm almost positive. I just counted it out, and the nature of the riff starts out emphasizing the first beats, then changes to the off beats but goes back again. It can at least be counted in 4/4.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by LeperMessiah_
I know that's hard, I'm trying to do it. Just damn annoying the bass is so low, and the drums dominate.

As for the music book, Teh-Bassman, it's wrong. I know it is, I've looked at it. It's missing parts. There is no bass solo in it, and it does NOT have the odd time signature written in. If I'm correct, it has them make a tuplet instead, with something like 5 or six notes maybe crammed at the end of a bar of 4/4, and that's wrong. That's why I chose not to buy the MoP sheet music. It was done badly. RtL and KEA were well done, but MoP was a huge let-down, sheet-music wise.

That being said, I'm still going to try and count it out. just wish I could adjust some levels. Damn Lars has to piss me off. I'm pretty sure the timing is three bars 4/4 and one bar 9/8.

Now to get the rhythm down...

That's also how I counted it, think that's right.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
thats why i always think twice before changing a practice for stydu theory
with theory you start to overthink very simple stuff
(i dont hate theory is just i preffer practicing rather than studying)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
While listening to the drums to know the time signature is a good idea in most cases - not for Metallica.
Lars just does what ever he wants and pretty much ignores everything except James's guitar. I've often noticed drummers with some training get frustrated with learning Lars' pre-Black stuff because it often doesn't make sense musically.
Quote by scawti
While listening to the drums to know the time signature is a good idea in most cases - not for Metallica.
Lars just does what ever he wants and pretty much ignores everything except James's guitar. I've often noticed drummers with some training get frustrated with learning Lars' pre-Black stuff because it often doesn't make sense musically.

i cant even mention metallica with out my drummer going on a 10 min rant about how much he hates lars

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Quote by Narcotics
i cant even mention metallica with out my drummer going on a 10 min rant about how much he hates lars

yeaaah, a lot of people hate Lars, and my mate who's a big Metallica fan, and seen them live a few times, says he's sloppy and pretty useless live too

U'd think after the amount of time he's been playing he'd be able to play well??

and shouldnt he lock into the bass, not the guitar, you know,bass ad drums being the rhytm section and all??

*holds up flame shield to defend self from enraged Metallica fans*
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I agree that little part messes me up. I can get pretty much the entire song, except that, not because it's a hard part, it just feels wierd.

On the topic of orion though, I have a question. There's a solo that starts at 6:35 in the song. I have seen tabs for it as a guitar solo, and tabs as a bass solo. I listen to it over and over again, but can't decide what it is. I think it's guitar, but the fact that there are tabs for bass make me reluctant... I just learned it anyways whats your take on that solo? bass or guitar?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Lars really is a terrible drummer - he has the pulse of a crack addict.

To you guys having trouble with Orion check out the vids on YouTube.
Quote by bigwilly
I agree that little part messes me up. I can get pretty much the entire song, except that, not because it's a hard part, it just feels wierd.

On the topic of orion though, I have a question. There's a solo that starts at 6:35 in the song. I have seen tabs for it as a guitar solo, and tabs as a bass solo. I listen to it over and over again, but can't decide what it is. I think it's guitar, but the fact that there are tabs for bass make me reluctant... I just learned it anyways whats your take on that solo? bass or guitar?

the second last solo im not sure when it comes in is definatly a bass solo
thats where the booked ****ed up they put it as guitar i saw an interview where james bitched about that...... and its like a 2 track thing he uses lots of harmonies a lil bit of dist and a lil bit of wah

Quote by Narcotics
the second last solo im not sure when it comes in is definatly a bass solo
thats where the booked ****ed up they put it as guitar i saw an interview where james bitched about that...... and its like a 2 track thing he uses lots of harmonies a lil bit of dist and a lil bit of wah

Thanks for the clarification...I needed it
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
The switch during the heavy version of the first refrain, the ascending palm mute pedal riff, that's still 4/4. Lars is just being a dick/inept and switching his beat to the offnotes, which COMPLETELY ****s up ANYONE with a sense of rhythym. If you don't believe me, listen to the SAME riff at the end of the song. Lar's drums it "properly", and James is playing the exact same guitar riff. Trust me, there's nothing progressive about the time signature, it's just Lars being a dick.