Hey UG forum,

I was wondering if those of you who have ever played a Gibson Guitar or own one can tell me if you guys have any COMPLAINTS about it. Is it too heavy? overpriced? uncomfortable? I know there are many great things about Gibson guitars, but for a current project, I'm concentrating on customer satisfaction. Thanks so much! Any help will be greatly appreciated!
i have a 1991 Gibson studio and its beautiful, i love everything about it, well worth the money
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
ive got a custom lefthanded sonex 180 from from the 80's
its still holding up pretty well, but its a bit heavy for me
and wut do u mean by too heavy?
u can use it for pretty much anything really
just change the pickups
Quote by skywayavenue
ive got a custom lefthanded sonex 180 from from the 80's
its still holding up pretty well, but its a bit heavy for me
and wut do u mean by too heavy?
u can use it for pretty much anything really
just change the pickups

You answered the "too heavy" question when you said "but it's a bit heavy for me" I believe.
I don't own one(I'm broke), but my uncle has a LP Standard, its an extremely nice guitar. IMHO the price is pretty steep for some Gibsons, but they have an amazing sound. I don't particularly mind the weight, its not too bad.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by GraceKim
I have a 2006 Ebony Gibson Les Paul Studio.

Price: The price wasn't that bad. I got it used for $850 US.

Weight: I had heard that LP's were heavy, but I was surprised that it wasn't much heavier than a Telecaster. A lot of spindly wimps become guitar players I guess.

Thick 50's Neck: I had also heard that the neck on the LP Studio was thicker and harder to fret. Compared to a Telecaster neck I don't notice any difference in playability.

Playability: The neck is shorter than a Fender neck so the strings are slightly less taut. This makes it easier to bend strings which is something that I like to do.

Sound: That's what it's all about.

Just to let everyone know, he apparently doesn't know that present-made Gibson LPs have chambered mahogany backs, unlike the old ones, which have solid 1 3/4" mahogany backs. This makes them Weigh upwards of ten pounds (sorry to non US residents, I'm in the US). New ones weigh 8-9 pounds, depending on the piece of wood.
Also, SG's are very light, only about 7 pounds, as they're much thinner than Les Pauls, but they are solid wood without chambering. They are a little neck-heavy though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 29, 2008,