Ok so i am thinking about making a les paul jr with the dog ear p-90 in it, but i had a few questions. I have been looking on ebay and stuff for old bodies that i will sand down and refinish and fix up and all that fun stuff but here is my first question. one is i keep finding a lot of bodies on the cheaper side but already have 2 pickup cavities routed. do you think it would be ok to get one of those and fill in the neck pick up with like wood filler or a cut piece of mahogany and glue and then sand and cover and paint or would that be a terrible idea. and second anyone had any experience with these guitars
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=360026788735&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

i figured they were cheap enough to do a project with and since i will refinish it and make to my specs it might be a good idea. i'm open to suggestions. thanks

EDIT: one more question is there tonal differences between an alder solid body LP or a mahogany solid body LP?
Last edited by migs_migeezie at Feb 29, 2008,
You idea for the pickup holes will work fine.
It's not that we're weak, we're just suckers for pics. Put some guitar body pics in this post and you'll get about 50 replies.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
If you got that guitar you'd have to fill both cavities and re route the bridge for the p90. A humbucker route is larger in areas then a p90 route.

From what I've heard alder has good tonal range and works well with all kinds of pickups while mahagony has a darker tone to it and is generally used with humbuckers
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
You could try the humbucker replacement p90s less filling needed. But the block of wood works best. Wood filler is not made for filling huge holes. I dont know the price range you are looking at but could probably get one from warmoth and would be able to get the better bridge set up than the original style jr bridge.
I've been browsing used bodies and things on ebay trying to find an old lp or something that someone is getting rid of on the cheap and i have found a few lp bodies but they are all curved top. do you think it would bad to make it a flat top style like a les paul jr or would that mess everything up. just kicking ideas around before i start jumping into this build. cant really decide if i should bite the bullet and order off warmoth or maybe even buy a lp jr epiphone and custom paint it myself and do the work to that instead.
I would either order off Warmoth or get an Epi LP Jr. and fix it up some. Or, maybe save even more money and try to maye your own body.
thats what kinda what i was thinking but i really do want it to be a set neck. anyone one have any ideas to turn a bolt on neck into a set neck. and dont say just glue it i know there has to be more involved that that. i was also contemplating turning a melody maker into a les paul junior instead and modding the ugly headstock to look more like the original gibson, just not sure how yet. ha ha
you could always buy one of the curved bodies, sand it down flat, and glue some sort of top wood on it, it'd be a bit more work, but definitely less work than building one from scratch, then you wouldn't have to worry about the neck.
Quote by rednwhiteblues
you could always buy one of the curved bodies, sand it down flat, and glue some sort of top wood on it, it'd be a bit more work, but definitely less work than building one from scratch, then you wouldn't have to worry about the neck.

i thought about that too. and i plan on finishing it in all white so i can easliy cover any thing up. i'll look into this option some more