Page 1 of 3
Ramones, Metallica, Black Sabbath, etc. Are these the only great musicians throughout the history of mankind? The real question I pose is simple: Aren't Bach, Mozart, Pachebel and so many others deserving to be rendered through the six strings as well?
Attachments:
The1USHudHav.GIF
Blue.gif
Last edited by John2314andrew at Feb 28, 2008,
Yes? And they often are.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
I love classical music. I'm no classical guitarist, but I sing and listen to classical music on a daily basic.
Quote by grampastumpy
Serious question? What the hell kind of boulder have you been living under?

neat words for a death metal fatalist.
Plenty of people listen to classical music. Personally, I'm not a fan. I find it rigid and repetitive.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by John2314andrew
neat words for a death metal fatalist.
I don't just listen to death metal. I'm taking a level 7 CM piano test this Sunday in which I'm playing a couple pieces, though I don't claim to be any big classical guy. However, even a decent amount of people on this website are classical players(Madcap and Xiaoxi, etc).
I love classical music. I don't like classical music on a guitar so much though. Schubert and Mendelssohn ftw
I love classical music, especially when violins are involved. <3
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Ramones, Metallica, Black Sabbath, etc. Are these the only great musicians throughout the history of mankind? The real question I pose is simple: Aren't Bach, Mozart, Pachebel and so many others deserving to be rendered through the six strings as well?

The problem is Bach wasn't meant to be played on guitar. So, the result is classical music is often raped by the six strings, rather than "rendered through the six strings"
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by John2314andrew

If anything I think poor old Johann Pachelbel deserves a rest

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I love classical music and especially on guitar. I find it to be one of the most expressive forms of music, you can feel every note. This is the kind of playing that got me into classical...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfFbuT3I6A&feature=related
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Last edited by radiantmoon at Feb 29, 2008,
Who doesn't listen to classical music?

It's hard to appreciate, but when you look at it closely, all of the harmonies, styles, theory-you-wanted-to-apply-but-never-could, it's just amazing. It tells stories without lyrics, without words.

But yeah, as someone said above, pieces meant for bowed instruments sound very...different on guitar. And classical guitar, I must say, is very different from classical orchestra music.
I listen to classical. A lot. I play both classical guitar, and classical music on electric guitar. Theres something about it that other music just doesnt satisfy. Like the intense chord progressions of paganini or bach. You know what im talking about. Music that makes you tingle. Yeahhhh.
Quote by GoDrex
Not really "classical" since they more modern, but I love Debussy, Prokovfiev, Holst, Stravinsky, Penderecki, Varese, Zappa and more... Of course Beethoven and Mozart are great, but too familar sounding sometimes.

this is taste.

and i laugh at whoever said classical is boringly repetitive.

pachabel is by no means pinnacle of classical. it's the most drab composition i can think of that's equivalent to midi's that jo shmo's create all the time. it's a I IV V vi, over played, over appreciated, disaster
and i laugh at whoever said classical is boringly repetitive.

Classical music has extremely rigid conventions. It was the pop music of the time.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
typically the label of "classical" is discussed as a general term.

if you really want to talk about classical music as of 1750 - 1820, then we no longer can discuss bach nor pachelbel, as they are baroque.

classical music, as i refer to it, is still being made today, and some pieces are completely void of repetition.

if you think one style or texture of music is boring, you may need to consider your exposure to have been seen through some small lenses.
typically the label of "classical" is discussed as a general term.

Excuse me for assuming that classical meant classical.

if you think one style or texture of music is boring, you may need to consider your exposure to have been seen through some small lenses.

Styles of music are defined by their conventions. Classical music happens to be far more rigid than most.
then you should either be reprimanding the original poster (the definer of terms), or you should be reprimanding yourself for encroaching your definition onto others.
Quote by jomarkdave
then you should either be reprimanding the original poster (the definer of terms), or you should be reprimanding yourself for encroaching your definition onto others.

My definition? I'm using the definition, and I reasonably assumed that he was as well.
i would advise you to read the post again, look up the composers that he mentions, give them a label, redefine your definition, then walk out of this thread with your tail between your legs.
Quote by jomarkdave
i would advise you to read the post again, look up the composers that he mentions, give them a label, redefine your definition, then walk out of this thread with your tail between your legs.

Are you actually throwing a bitch fit because I used the correct definition?
oh, internet people, when will you cease to be ignorant?

4. Music.
a. of, pertaining to, or constituting the formally and artistically more sophisticated and enduring types of music, as distinguished from popular and folk music and jazz. Classical music includes symphonies, operas, sonatas, song cycles, and lieder.
b. of, pertaining to, characterized by, or adhering to the well-ordered, chiefly homophonic musical style of the latter half of the 18th and the early 19th centuries: Haydn and Mozart are classical composers.
...and the point of that post is?
He's saying that because of the topic creator's first post listing the classical musicians, you should have realized that he was using the colloquial definition of "classical". Honestly, who knows the difference between classical and baroque and all of those without being a music history major? No one, so you shouldn't have assumed he would.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Quote by HammerAndSickle
He's saying that because of the topic creator's first post listing the classical musicians, you should have realized that he was using the colloquial definition of "classical". Honestly, who knows the difference between classical and baroque and all of those without being a music history major? No one, so you shouldn't have assumed he would.

The point of the thread was what, if any, recognition classical composers are getting compared to modern musicians. The answer being "a lot". He's throwing a bitch fit over some passing remark I made that's completely secondary to the subject of the thread. He's being a petty dumbass.
I love classical music. My favorite era would be romantic by far, with classical coming next.

Baroque is good, though I don't like harpsichords nearly as much as pianos, and I like the longer, flowing bows and notes used in smaller ensembles in romantic music more than the light, quick bows normally in baroque (although there are exceptions to both of course).

I used to play guitar but now I really only play cello, and that's mostly classical music...

If you think that classical music is rigid and repetitive than you're incredibly ignorant, no offense. Listen to Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, Dvorák's cello concerto or Bela Bartok's string quartets, they're later and romantic/modern, but they are still considered classical music and not rigid at all.

Here's Dvorák's cello concertos. Skip to about 4:00 to see the good part!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xxYbF-Yzdf0
Please elaborate on why classical music is repatative? Are you refering to an individual song as being repetitive or all classical music as a whole? And would you also elaborate on what you meant by saying the music is rigid. And you cant compare classical music to pop, Its a bit more involved that writing a catchy 1 4 5 progression. My opinion is classical is a wonderful style of music and people like bach and motzart were musical geniuses.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
I find it very close minded of someone who can dismiss an entire (and particularly vast) genre of music. Maybe just say you don't like the classical music you've heard.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by radiantmoon
Please elaborate on why classical music is repatative? Are you refering to an individual song as being repetitive or all classical music as a whole? And would you also elaborate on what you meant by saying the music is rigid. And you cant compare classical music to pop, Its a bit more involved that writing a catchy 1 4 5 progression. My opinion is classical is a wonderful style of music and people like bach and motzart were musical geniuses.

The genre as a whole, not individual pieces. Classical music (referring to classical music, not baroque, or romantic, or electronica) has very rigid theoretical conventions (regarding the use of dissonance, song structure etc), and it was rare to see composers jump outside of these conventions in any significant way. Obviously, any genre of music has its characteristics, and this isn't attack on individual composers or individual classical pieces. I just personally find classical music as a whole to be boring, and it's rare for me to find a classical piece that I enjoy.

(and particularly vast)

Classical music is not vast. It refers to a very specific time period and a very specific type of music.
Just because the conventions that define pop/rock/blues aren't written down/formalized doesn't mean they don't exist.

From my view, the rigidity and repetitiveness of "western art music" (which is what is supposed to be discussed in this thread, and varies incredibly over time, and you don't have to be a music history major to know the difference between major eras, honestly) is far less than that of "popular music"

Also remember that in any art form rules are there to be broken. Most composers that you've heard of were very innovative, and advanced the music a great deal. A lot of people's conception of the music, particularly with regards to a performer's artistic freedom, is entirely incorrect. The individuality lies within very subtle variations that require intense skill, training, and control to exploit but they are there.

Anyway, to me, when people say classical they mean "western art music" even though it's confusing and should be avoided, while Classical refers to the actual era of composition.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Classical music is not vast. It refers to a very specific time period and a very specific type of music.

are you refering to the classical period of european concert music, because fine, but you still can't dismiss the entire genre. But I think most of us are talking about classical music as a whole, which has been around since the 9th century and has dozens of subcategories, and is still going strong today. I would call that much more vast than any other form of music I can think of, and I find it hard to dismiss all of it when you've probably listened to less than 10% of it in your entire life.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Archeo Avis
The genre as a whole, not individual pieces. Classical music (referring to classical music, not baroque, or romantic, or electronica) has very rigid theoretical conventions (regarding the use of dissonance, song structure etc), and it was rare to see composers jump outside of these conventions in any significant way. Obviously, any genre of music has its characteristics, and this isn't attack on individual composers or individual classical pieces. I just personally find classical music as a whole to be boring, and it's rare for me to find a classical piece that I enjoy.

I see, I thought you meant classical in the way most people use the term(classical=baroque,romantic and classical) So is it just classical you dont like or do you not like baroque or romantic either?
most people that dont like classical only hear it as backround music when theyre in restaraunts.they never listen to the good stuff
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
well it appears you've all already gone through the "classical music is defined by these rules" bit so let me simply suggest nine inch nails "still" cd. it's not easy to find but probably some of the best music i've ever heard in my life, i'm really 50/50 on REAL classical music but this album uses alot of the same conventions as actual classical music, the arrangements are similar and the writing is WONDERFUL. a lot of piano, wind (wind sounding synth) mixed w/ acoustic bass, acoustic guitar. i recommend it to anyone who is even remotely interested in actual classical music. i prefer more modern music like this to actual real classical music (though i do enjoy some classical music just not a lot in comparison to how much was actually written)
Well the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is kind of, in a way, bringing back classical music. Also, music fads change. I tell my class I can play an awsome song on guitar (Ain't Talkin' Bout Love - Van Halen) and they say "Who the hell is Van Halen?" All they care about is new stuff. "Classic Metal", as I call it, is going out of style where I live. It happend the same way in Bach's time.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Page 1 of 3