im thinking about getting a guitar with p-90s. is their sound closer to that of single coils or a humbucker? do they sound clear with a tad distortion or do they get muddy? i would be using this guitar for alternative/blues rock.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Volume low sonds like a single, high begins to sound more beefy like a humbucker.
With light overdrive they sound nice, but they are rather mellow sometimes, and might not sound great with insane distortion. They are great for blues, and I could see them being used for alternative rock, especially in the neck position, and a humbucker in the bridge for solos.
Carvin Ct4.
Traynor 15 watt class A tube amp.
Fulltone Deja Vibe.
Vox Wah.

~Derek Trucks~
Quote by rlx21
Volume low sonds like a single, high begins to sound more beefy like a humbucker.
With light overdrive they sound nice, but they are rather mellow sometimes, and might not sound great with insane distortion. They are great for blues, and I could see them being used for alternative rock, especially in the neck position, and a humbucker in the bridge for solos.

I've found that they seem to muddy up considerably in the neck position, and sound far more clear and resounding in the bridge. Could just be the setup I was using, but the P-90 had pretty bad clarity and definition in the neck position, while it sounded really neat in the bridge, like a single coil with the balls cranked up a bit.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Depends on the pickup. SD makes vintage style and really hot wound with ceramic magnets. They are in between singles and humbuckers. They can do blues, classic rock. But also do pretty good at hard rock, metal. I have a set in a LP and they do really good at sabbath. I have an old video and Iommi has a set in a SG in concert. And his main guitar has a p90 in the bridge. As for being muddy probably would depend on guitar and brand of pickups. The ones I use are SD phat cats direct replacements for humbuckers. But like em so much will soon build another guitar with the soapbar style.