I think that people are being a litlle bit selfish with rap/hip hop etc...

I want to start by saying that, first of all, im not a big fan of rap, hip hop, and anything related to that.
BUT, i think some people are being a little bit selfish with this genres now that they are the current mainstream.
Rock had its mainstream time, Pop had it, and now Hip hop has it.
I have lately noticed a trend that consists of bashing on hip hop, rap etc because they "suck" and MTV(just setting it as an example) sucks beacuse they only have rap and etc, and that they should put more "real" music like rock, hardcore, hard rock, classic rock, etc.
But hey, rock had its time while rap was all underground and had a hard time reaching the surface(mainstream) so why being selfish??' Let them be and have its moment. I may have not so much knowledge about this but this is what i have perceived in society. So excuse me if im wrong in some facts.
Last edited by lp_breaker at Feb 29, 2008,
I want to start off by saying "start" has two "t's".
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Quote by CowboyUp
Or everybody could just STFU and enjoy music regardless of genre.

+1
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
i agree. rock, metal, punk,hardcore, ect is still a large part of the music industry today. its not like there is only rap. if you dont like that rap is on MTV then dont watch MTV. i dont.
Quote by CowboyUp
Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
listen to what you want. if you like it go with it

**** MTV though haha
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
Quote by CowboyUp

Amen to that. I'm really sick of music elitism, there's no reason to whine and complain if you don't like a certain band/genre, no one's forcing you to listen.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Besides there is some good rap out there. You just have to know where to look. I like rap and hip hop as long as the lyrics are intelligent and about self-expression as opposed to how much money or how many "bitches" one guy has over another.
For example, I like Atmosphere, MF Doom, and Lupe Fiasco to name a few. you should check them out.
Quote by Bubban
Amen to that. I'm really sick of music elitism, there's no reason to whine and complain if you don't like a certain band/genre, no one's forcing you to listen.

Um... yeah they are. Everywhere In public I go I hear people blasting rap/hip hop.

On the bus.
Walking around school.
Walking down town.

And I don't like it.
I love how absolutely no one on UG realizes that hip hop is suffering a worse sales decline than any other genre right now.
I don't hate MTV because it only has rap, I hate it because 90% of its shows have nothing whatsoever to do with music.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by b r y a n
I love how absolutely no one on UG realizes that hip hop is suffering a worse sales decline than any other genre right now.
Really? Do you have something to cite? Interesting if it is - but I'm not terribly surprised; it had to happen eventually.
Quote by b r y a n

but is that because of the decrease in popularity of the music, or the fact that by its very corporate nature, that genre of music is inclinded to produce an album with one "decent song" and a bunch of "crap" so people just download the one song illegally and don't BUY anything...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Yeah, but MTV doesn't play music. It's a reality TV network now.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
I didn't know MTV played music anymore. haha
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
Quote by chris_122
Anything mainstream=sucks

A lot of underground=sucks, too. n00b. You have shallow reasons for listening to music.

Edit: Of course MTV doesn't play music anymore, that's why they play RAP LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i've never seen a music video on mtv......lots of reality shows tho
Quote by Musicman48858
but is that because of the decrease in popularity of the music, or the fact that by its very corporate nature, that genre of music is inclinded to produce an album with one "decent song" and a bunch of "crap" so people just download the one song illegally and don't BUY anything...

I'd assume the latter.

Another thing I love about UG (this has nothing to do with you, Musicman) is how everyone assumes hip hop only consist of the commercial garbage. I don't see anyone here bashing rock music because Nickelback is cheesy. As with most music nowadays, the good stuff is found underground.
Yeah like Fall Out Boy and any screamo/emo band are bashed as much as rap/hip hop.
I really hate rap for the most part and I never try to seek it out and listen to it but some artists deserve credit for their lyrics. Lupe Fiasco is one that somebody mentioned, while I'm not a huge fan his lyrics are pretty good.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
something can have the spotlight, but at least let it have some sort of tonal or rythmic complexity. Some rap is good, but i'm getting tired of hearing "Low" everytime I turn on the radio. And even worse, the next thing to hit mainstream is Disney crap (god forbid).
Quote by lp_breaker
I want to start by saying that, first of all, im not a big fan of rap, hip hop, and anything related to that.
BUT, i think some people are being a little bit selfish with this genres now that they are the current mainstream.
Rock had its mainstream time, Pop had it, and now Hip hop has it.
I have lately noticed a trend that consists of bashing on hip hop, rap etc because they "suck" and MTV(just setting it as an example) sucks beacuse they only have rap and etc, and that they should put more "real" music like rock, hardcore, hard rock, classic rock, etc.
But hey, rock had its time while rap was all underground and had a hard time reaching the surface(mainstream) so why being selfish??' Let them be and have its moment. I may have not so much knowledge about this but this is what i have perceived in society. So excuse me if im wrong in some facts.

it could just be because the music is ****

ever since rap became massive (circa near the beginning of the new millenium) the quality of hip hop has gone severely downhill

not to mention rock takes takes its kicks too with all those bland, uninspired pop punk, alternative, numetal, and powerpop bands
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by MetalMessiah665
I don't hate MTV because it only has rap, I hate it because 90% of its shows have nothing whatsoever to do with music.

+1 they might as well call it BadRealityShowTelevision.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
There's nothing wrong with hip-hop, it's just alot of it isn't that good

Metal in the 80s was like that, alot of it wasn't good, but it was still popular

People who say any genre of music sucks as a whole are just ****ing retarded and don't deserve to live.

I don't listen to, nor like bluegrass but that doesn't mean it sucks.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by sweeppicker91'
something can have the spotlight, but at least let it have some sort of tonal or rythmic complexity. Some rap is good, but i'm getting tired of hearing "Low" everytime I turn on the radio. And even worse, the next thing to hit mainstream is Disney crap (god forbid).

Apple Bottom Jeeeeeeeans! Boots with the furrrrrrr!

But seriously. If I were to recommend one hip hop album to a non hip hop listener, I'd suggest El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead. Dense ****ing music, but more accessible than his first solo album, Fantastic Damage. It boasts appearances from the Mars Volta, Cat Power, and Trent Reznor. Fantastic Damage is good if you're into punk. It oozes punk.
Quote by XxGloriousxX
+1 they might as well call it BadRealityShowTelevision.

+2
its what most people enjoy now, sadly.
but i agree with TS. there was a time when no one wanted rap on MTV, and now people want it, so let it have its time.
Quote by CowboyUp

Unless there are certain genres that I don't enjoy listening to?
F U CKS SAKE hip hop/rap has no guitar hence it has no place in a guitar forum

/thread
Wear the eye patch Bret, Wear the Funky Funky eye patch...

Quote by Tallman

You, sir, should be knighted.

Last edited by coolo : Today at 00:00 AM. Reason: ???

/thread

I've heard plenty of hip-hop/rap with guitars in the songs.
Quote by iamnotrabid
I've heard plenty of hip-hop/rap with guitars in the songs.

I think he means mainstream, but still there is guitar in a few songs
Quote by iamnotrabid
Unless there are certain genres that I don't enjoy listening to?

Thats awesome. If you don't like it, STFU about it and let people who enjoy it listen to whatever they want and play whatever they want on the radio.

On top of that, I highly doubt that you have heard and hate every single hip hop song in existence.
I guess when it came to music I used to be pretty elitist, I would pretty much only listen to grungey stuff (incl. things like sonic youth and alice in chains). These days I really don't give a flying fuck what the music is, so long as I enjoy it.

I love techno, trance, house DnB etc etc and listen to less and less 'rock music'. Although I still love grungey stuff
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by Musicman48858

this post is stupid.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by coolo

/thread

Yeah, guitarists should only appreciate music because it has guitars in it. Other instruments are for stupids. And sexists who talk about bling, and how many women they can sleep with. Because we're mad, damn it. Because our guitars don't get us laid, and their stupid turn tables and synthesizers do. And their bass guitars. And everyone knows bass guitars aren't actually guitars.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.