I was actually surprised searching came up with nothing.

Anyway, who loves the Alien movies. I've only recently saw Alien and Aliens (yeah, yeah. I'm a little late), and I thought they were some pretty good movies. They both kind of ended in an abrupt way, but overall, I liked both a lot.

So, yeah. Discuss the Alien franchise. And this isn't limited to just movies, there is obviously a broad range of Alien media, from video games to comic books to action figures.

Discuss.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I refuse to participate in a thread about Xenomorphs, because I can't derail it with a conversation about Xenomorphs.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
My favorite was definatly Aliens. It struck the right chord between action and suspense. Did anyone ever play the Alien versus Predator 2 game on PC? (the cool games that came before those gay ass movies)
Jack Off Jill where'd you find those Giger chairs you showed in the other thread?
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Alien Ressurection is one of my least favorite movies of all time, but sadly it's the only one they ever show on TV
Quote by CowboyUp
Alien Ressurection is one of my least favorite movies of all time, but sadly it's the only one they ever show on TV

Ha, it always seems to be like that with the good franchises, doesn't it?

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
My favorite was definatly Aliens. It struck the right chord between action and suspense. Did anyone ever play the Alien versus Predator 2 game on PC? (the cool games that came before those gay ass movies)

As much as I loved Aliens, I think I liked "Aliens to the Third Power" better. It had a better story to it, and it scared me more as a kid. Like, when the dog was killed. That probably screwed with me more than anything in the previous Alien movies. And that's the thing about the aliens movies that a lot of people don't get. And it's the reason the Aliens VS Predator movies sucked. They're not really sci-fi movies, or action movies. They're mostly horror movies, though they do have elements of those other two things. Aliens Vs Predator was much more focused around the sci-fi/action movies that the Predator movies revolved around. They weren't scary in the slightest.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

The first two were amazing.
Part three wasn't too great.
I honestly liked Resurrection. It wasn't "the greatest movie ever", but it was pretty cool.
AVP had a couple of cool parts, that's about it.
AVP:R was soo bad that it was funny. The Pred-Alien was a bad-ass though.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
i like the second one with the space marines fricken sweet dudes
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
GAME OVER MAN! Game Over! We're DOOMED MAN!
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Quote by joshjebl
i like the second one with the space marines fricken sweet dudes

Yeah, I was going to bring that up.

Pretty much, we can thank the existance of the Space Marine in our current culture to Aliens.

Really, it was the Starship Troopers novels that set the pace for what would become the Space Marines, but Aliens put them on the big screen.

Seriously, without Aliens, Halo wouldn't exist, Doom, Starcraft, Killzone, etc.

Hell, Halo, IMO, is one big Aliens ripoff, in some aspects. The Pelicans look A LOT like the dropships in Aliens, there's a Johnson-esque character in Apone, and a few other little things here and there.

Saxo-Walrus

I heard somewhere that they are releasing a 5th alien movie, can anyone confirm?
[url="http://www.myspace.com/luxterna91]...And Now The Descent
Quote by clincher09
"I like maceroni and cheese" "Yeah well it's not as good as Tool. Did I ever tell you guys about Tool? Lateralus is the best thing ever."
Quote by fallenangel20
Yeah, I was going to bring that up.

Pretty much, we can thank the existance of the Space Marine in our current culture to Aliens.

Really, it was the Starship Troopers novels that set the pace for what would become the Space Marines, but Aliens put them on the big screen.

Seriously, without Aliens, Halo wouldn't exist, Doom, Starcraft, Killzone, etc.

Hell, Halo, IMO, is one big Aliens ripoff, in some aspects. The Pelicans look A LOT like the dropships in Aliens, there's a Johnson-esque character in Apone, and a few other little things here and there.

The aliens aboard the Airship in Final Fantasy 8 look like rip offs of Xenomorphs, too.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
The aliens aboard the Airship in Final Fantasy 8 look like rip offs of Xenomorphs, too.

I never made it that far in FF VIII.....

Also, I agree with your last point, about them being horror movies, rather than action.

Especially Alien. That movie was suspense through and through. Aliens had a good mix of both, but leaned toward the action, IMO, though.

I was on the edge of my seat watching Alien, but I almost predicted things in Aliens.

Also, I laughed my ass off for a good minute or two at one point, in Alien. When Dallas is in the air duct, and the motion sensor tells them that the Xenomorph is right beside him, and all it does is screech and raise it's arms.

It was like he was motioning for a hug. I could almost here him saying, "I'M GONNA GET YA!!!"

Saxo-Walrus

AVP and AVPR shouldn't be allowed to exist. Or they should at least not be considered Canon, because it makes my arguments much more difficult. There's absolutely no continuity whatsoever. I mean, in Aliens/Aliens 3, Bishop is assumed to be an android because there's no organic life in him. But at the end of 3, the real Bishop shows up. It's assumed that he is the real Bishop because he's got blood, and everyone says it's the real Bishop. But then in AVP, the REAL Bishop does show up. He lived very very very long before the Alien series even started. So what the hell?

God damn AVP. I pretend they were never made. And I also pretend Metallica broke up in 1990.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
AVP and AVPR shouldn't be allowed to exist. Or they should at least not be considered Canon, because it makes my arguments much more difficult. There's absolutely no continuity whatsoever. I mean, in Aliens/Aliens 3, Bishop is assumed to be an android because there's no organic life in him. But at the end of 3, the real Bishop shows up. It's assumed that he is the real Bishop because he's got blood, and everyone says it's the real Bishop. But then in AVP, the REAL Bishop does show up. He lived very very very long before the Alien series even started. So what the hell?

God damn AVP. I pretend they were never made. And I also pretend Metallica broke up in 1990.

True, though. I've only saw AVP, in terms of the AVP series, and I lost interest in the middle of it. I wanted to see AVP:R, since I knew it was rated R and would allow for more violence and whatnot, then I saw the reviews.

Also, how is Alien³? I've heard it's not GREAT, but I saw David Fincher was the director, and that got me interested, at least.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20

True, though. I've only saw AVP, in terms of the AVP series, and I lost interest in the middle of it. I wanted to see AVP:R, since I knew it was rated R and would allow for more violence and whatnot, then I saw the reviews.

Also, how is Alien³? I've heard it's not GREAT, but I saw David Fincher was the director, and that got me interested, at least.

Well, the thing is.. Aliens Vs. Predator could have been a better movie. It's not because the first one was rated PG-13 that it was lame, it was because it completely diminished the part of the Xenomorphs. Those movies were action movies. The Xenomorphs weren't at all scary. The Predator movies were never scary, those were always meant to be sci-fi/action. So, if you're going to combine the two franchises, you need to make them equal parts scary, and equal parts action.

Aliens 3 was cool, though I haven't seen it in quite some time. The only reason I think people don't like it is because it followed Aliens, which is a very hard movie to beat. But if you look at it as sort of a separate entity, it's still a good movie. The themes of Naziism in it kinda make it scary, and the horror in it is pretty damn good. Especially if you're an animal lover.
Quote by vintage x metal

Sweet. I'll have to see it, then. I've just always heard semi-negative things about it, and didn't know if it was worth seeing it.

Thanks.

Saxo-Walrus

I also want to say.. It's not important that you didn't get that far in FF8. That game was lame as hell. I've never played a worse FF game.. Aside from 10/10-2. But 8 is very high up there.
Quote by vintage x metal

I'm excited about the new game about Aliens(it was on the last issue of game informer). If they do what they say they're going to, then it'll probably be one of my favorite games.
This is my signature... And yes this is the most original thing... ever.
Gear:
Guitars
Epiphone Dot
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG2EX1

Amps
Roland Cube 30X

Pedals
DOD FX25-B Envelope Filter
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Big Muff Pi
haha i actually just watched aliens today! coincidence w00t! but i have to agree aliens influenced many aspects of the halo series.. the marines.. the pelican... the black guy who was the general is so simlar to the guy in halo. its pretty cool. as far as im concerned tho... alien was the best and none of the others come close
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by TrP6 SeNiLe
I'm excited about the new game about Aliens(it was on the last issue of game informer). If they do what they say they're going to, then it'll probably be one of my favorite games.

Details, fool!

I wonder if someone is going to complain that it ripped off Halo.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I also want to say.. It's not important that you didn't get that far in FF8. That game was lame as hell. I've never played a worse FF game.. Aside from 10/10-2. But 8 is very high up there.

I liked FF VII from what I played. And I like FF X, but not X-2. X-2 is like Final Fantasy's little inside joke.
Quote by TrP6 SeNiLe

For sure. That issue was the reason I wanted to see the movies.

Bad news? I don't have a 360 yet. I will this year, when I get a job, though.

Good news? It's a good ways off, so I have time to get a 360. But it DEFINITELY looks amazing. I just love the level of detail they're going for. I mean, getting the ACTUAL film stock to use for proper color mapping? Genius.

Plus, Gearbox Software is on the project, which gives it instant cred. Gearbox co-developed Halo (the first one), a ton of Half Life and Counterstrike expansions, and Brothers in Arms. If this game isn't amazing, I'll be shocked.

EDIT: ALSO, the game's story is being written by two Battlestar Galactica writers, Bradley Thompson and David Weddle.

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Mar 2, 2008,
I beat the arcade game at a really old pizza place once.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
ALSO, if you're going to look up the game online, it's called "Aliens: Colonial Marines".

But, the catch is that there was a game in development by EA a few years back by the same name, so don't get confused by the older game and the new one.

Old game= EA.

New (far superior) game= Sega and Gearbox.

Also, I can't find any solid info online. Everything I know comes from the article in Game Informer and some info on the game's Wiki.

Saxo-Walrus

This is the best information I could find on it, I cba to find the issue of Game Informer that had ALL the details on it. But it will be awesome.
This is my signature... And yes this is the most original thing... ever.
Gear:
Guitars
Epiphone Dot
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG2EX1

Amps
Roland Cube 30X

Pedals
DOD FX25-B Envelope Filter
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Big Muff Pi
I've only seen bits and pieces of the first Alien movie, but I gotta say, Xenomorphs are by far the most badass alien/villain ever.