im gonna buy a guitar soon and the ibanez j.custom (air norton, blue velvet, tone zone) and jem (evos) caught my eyes. in matters of finish, pickups and the overall build, how do you guys compare these two guitars?
Both are amazing guitars, all though I have never played a j.custom, I was really liking the nicest jem when I played one. They both have different tonal properties because of the pickups supposedly, but if I were you, I would get the j.custom just to have one, because almost nobody in North America does. Of course some people do, but they aren't as common as JEM's. Flamed maple top on the j.custom makes a brighter note attack, and sustain's differently than the all basswood JEM. Nothing bad about either comes to mind for me, I just wouldn't spend that much on them because I'm happy with the models around $1000 made by Ibanez, just better for me. But I say J.custom.
JEMs are built to last. The basswood body is very light and durable and complements the EVO pickups very nicely. The neck is just the right width for fast playing and easy chording. EVOs are amazing pickups. The bridge works better than any tremelo bridge I've ever used and the thing never gets knocked outta tune. But yet, it's floating so changing strings can be a bitch. Depending on what finish you get, it's nice. I got mine in white because it's just so freakin pretty. The black one is nice but everybody has a black guitar, not everyone has a white guitar with gold hardware. I would pick a JEM over almost any guitar because it looks great, it plays very, very well and it sounds like heaven. But it's all preference. You should really try each guitar. I originally wanted a regualr Ibanez RG Prestige but then I tried a JEM and thought the extra 1200-1300 bucks worth it for me. If you're a shredder, then go for the JEM because it's a very versatile guitar and it makes you look nice on stage. So, I'd say go for the JEM but unless you haven't already, play both guitars before making a purchase because a JEM is like $2,200 in the U.S (so for you, that'd be like 230,552.10 Yen, cuz it says ur in japan.). So, yea, it's all a matter of preference but the JEM is just amazing.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
^If you have a JEM with Evos it's alder, not basswood.

The J-Custom, would crap all over the JEM...it's not even a contest. The JEM is built to the same standards as the RG Prestiges, which isn't a bad thing but at the end of the day it's still a mass-produced guitar and for that much money the J-Customs are better guitars and also a better investment. I can't make my mind up about the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo but I'd imagine the maple top would help balance out the bassiness of those two and certainly give the Air Norton a bit more presence although I'd still be inclined to upgrade to 1 meg pots.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Beaten to it, lol. J Custom is better then a Jem, Easy as that. Steven pretty much summed it up.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Yup, Steven pretty much said it all; if you can, go for the J. Custom.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by steven seagull
^If you have a JEM with Evos it's alder, not basswood.

The J-Custom, would crap all over the JEM...it's not even a contest. The JEM is built to the same standards as the RG Prestiges, which isn't a bad thing but at the end of the day it's still a mass-produced guitar and for that much money the J-Customs are better guitars and also a better investment. I can't make my mind up about the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo but I'd imagine the maple top would help balance out the bassiness of those two and certainly give the Air Norton a bit more presence although I'd still be inclined to upgrade to 1 meg pots.

+1, the j-custom is nicer if you ask me. unless you only play high-octane shred, in which case the jem possibly has a slightly faster neck. but the j-custom is the nicer guitar, if you ask me.

and the j-custom is quite warm. i wouldn't say it's muddy, but with those pickups, it's not far off.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1, the j-custom is nicer if you ask me. unless you only play high-octane shred, in which case the jem possibly has a slightly faster neck. but the j-custom is the nicer guitar, if you ask me.

and the j-custom is quite warm. i wouldn't say it's muddy, but with those pickups, it's not far off.

not true. j.custom's got a smaller neck thickness, but the width at last fret is slightly broader than jem's. and j.custom has this velvetouch finish on the neck.

now the only thing i couldn't make up my mind about is the pickups. and shops here dont provide you a nice tube amp to try out guitars btw.

but on the other hand, after checking out digimart.net (a local instrument ad site), j.custom's got 2 types of neck. edge pro (seen at ibanez.co.jp) and edge zero (wonder what this is). what are the differences?

and the color. i'm definitely not going for black onyx. neither prominence. not fire agate either. which leaves red spinel available. but through digimart i've seen another purple colour finish. what do you say?
Quote by necrophilic
not true. j.custom's got a smaller neck thickness, but the width at last fret is slightly broader than jem's. and j.custom has this velvetouch finish on the neck.

now the only thing i couldn't make up my mind about is the pickups. and shops here dont provide you a nice tube amp to try out guitars btw.

but on the other hand, after checking out digimart.net (a local instrument ad site), j.custom's got 2 types of neck. edge pro (seen at ibanez.co.jp) and edge zero (wonder what this is). what are the differences?

and the color. i'm definitely not going for black onyx. neither prominence. not fire agate either. which leaves red spinel available. but through digimart i've seen another purple colour finish. what do you say?

touche. according to the ibanez website, you're correct- they must have changed the neck dimensions since I last tried a j-custom. sorry about that.

regarding the edge pros etc., you meant "bridge", not "neck", right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
touche. according to the ibanez website, you're correct- they must have changed the neck dimensions since I last tried a j-custom. sorry about that.

regarding the edge pros etc., you meant "bridge", not "neck", right?

bridge. my wrong.
Bolth are great. J Customs are hard to get though, maybe Rich has some at Ibanez Rules.. your best bet is asking the guys at Jemsite.

They are bolth great guitars, I personaly would go J custom because they are very rare and plus you don't look like a Vai wannabe. But JEMs are great too - If I had the cash, I would get one.

Also if you do decide to get a JEM, DO NOT GET A JEM555
Go for a 7V or one of the older 77/777 series. Trust me - stay away from the 555 at all costs.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by necrophilic
bridge. my wrong.

no worries, just making sure. I'm not sure if anyone has tried the edge zero yet, it's pretty new. even if they have, we won't know how durable it is over time.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?