As you can see in my sig, I've got a Epiphone Dot Studio, which I'm becoming less and less satisfied with. However, I'm not sure as to whether or not I really need to get a new guitar yet, or whether or not to change the electronics in the one I have.

So, say I want to change the electronics in my Dot, not counting pickups at the moment, for better-quality stuff. What would I need? And how exactly would I get to the stuff already in there to change it?

Issues I currently have with it
--Tone pot is only effective from about 0 to 5
--Switch has cut in and out in the past, I don't trust it in the least.
--In experimenting with my newly-build fuzz pedal, I've found the sweep on the volume pot isn't as clean and even as I'd like.

Now, there's also the issue of the parents, who seem to feel that if it's not working well I should return it (I've only mentioned the switch problem to them). And, to be honest, that's an option for me, mainly because I'm not quite satisfied with the tone. However, since this is my first decent-quality guitar, part of me feels I should keep it.....sentimental reasons and all that....

Well, uh, opinions welcome.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
to get the electronics out pull them out through the "f" sound holes.
it's not really that big of a deal to change electronics, especially on squires or epiphones, if the acoustic tone is good one it (hollow or solid) than you can get a good tone with good electronics.
oh, there was something on this in an issue of Toatal Guitar a few months ago, what you do, once you take the knobs off the pots, is tie a string round them, before you remove them from the guitar, then to fit the new pot, you tie the string round it and pull it back through. I thought it was quite clever, myself.
Quote by jimRH7
oh, there was something on this in an issue of Toatal Guitar a few months ago, what you do, once you take the knobs off the pots, is tie a string round them, before you remove them from the guitar, then to fit the new pot, you tie the string round it and pull it back through. I thought it was quite clever, myself.

Ditto. The string makes it ALOT easier to put back together.
Also, make a template of the holes so you can wire everything up outside the body and be sure it will still fit. Then, put the wiring back into the f-hole and use the string to pull it back into place. You also may want to have a long thin screwdriver on hand to help maneuver things.
This is why my next build, a hollow body, will have a Les Paul-esque control cavity hole. That way it'll be so much easier to mod.

EDIT: Sorry, that wasn't a very helpful post.
I'm sorry...
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Actually, the "knock a hole in the back" was something I had considered doing. Would probably kill the resale value, of course, but it would definitely make things easier.

But, uh, yeah, the string idea is pretty clever. Definitely keep that in mind if I ever go about fixing things up.

Thanks, and additional opinions are welcome.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Another good idea is to do things right the first time since it's so hard to pull apart

Make sure you get the correct, quality pots and caps, do your research on what pickups are best for you before replacing etc etc.