Page 1 of 3
I am a native of the (not so) glorious state of Tennessee. Living in a backwater hick town named Mt. Juliet, I had to spend kindergarten through tenth grade in the equivalent of southern hell. The kids were stupid, and the teachers three times more so.
When it all became too much, I decided I'd had enough, and went on a rampage through the halls yelling that the administration was run by NAZI's at the top of my lungs. I was subsequently expelled. This is the where the loop hole comes into play.

After my expulsion, I became home schooled with the only obstructing state standard mandating that your teacher must have at least a bachelor's degree (unspecified) to be your teacher. My father has a master's in business and a bachelor's in aeronautics and French. Making him more than qualified, but he has to work until five everyday. A little research and I found that your teacher doesn't actually have to be there when school is in session, and, even if they did, they wouldn't be able to check.

It was during the first few days, after I did a little more research, I found that other than three excessively easy standardized tests, the government plays no part in your education. The only thing that they mandate is that you spend four hours a day on your work on the days you tell them you were in school. They've basically set up an honor system when it comes to telling them what work you did, how many hours you did it, and what grades you earned. So, in theory, you never have to anything other than those three mandatory tests.

For the last two months the only thing that I have studied is Trigonometry on and off preparing for the ACT (apparently the southern version of the SAT). That takes an hour out of my day at most, and the rest is open for whatever it is that I want to do with my time.

I haven't looked at any of the other state guidelines regarding this, or if it is nationally applied. If you live in Tennessee, though, I suggest immediately dropping out of your public or private school and signing with a home program. Learn at your own pace, don't put up with that annoying chick who says the stupidest ****, and, if you want, walk around in your house in your boxers watching cartoons.

The best part is it's legal.
If you only learn what you need for tests youll be a ****ing idiot in adulthood. go to school.
I've been here since '04.

Well done.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
The ACT isn't just southern, but I guess that free time sounds cool, but I would rather see people my age everyday than just sit at home.
Quote by NFFC_1865
If you only learn what you need for tests youll be a ****ing idiot in adulthood. go to school.

i'm sorry, but apart from simple mathematics and grammar, you don't use virtually anything you learn in school on a daily basis.
Quote by CzwtheMerph

I haven't looked at any of the other state guidelines regarding this, or if it is nationally applied. If you live in Tennessee, though, I suggest immediately dropping out of your public or private school and signing with a home program. Learn at your own pace, don't put up with that annoying chick who says the stupidest ****, and, if you want, walk around in your house in your boxers watching cartoons.

The best part is it's legal.

doesn't sound like you are any smarter than those "stupid souther kids" as you call them.

anyone that wants to take your advice: good luck getting anywhere in life. i'll enjoy my 70K 100K a year paycheck with my BS in civil engineering. and i'll enjoy being intellectually superior to you as well.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by Spamwise
i'm sorry, but apart from simple mathematics and grammar, you don't use virtually anything you learn in school on a daily basis.

Music Theory, Geography, History thorugh personal interests.

If youre happy going through life knowing the bare minimum about everything then so be it.

Quote by NFFC_1865
Music Theory, Geography, History thorugh personal interests.

If youre happy going through life knowing the bare minimum about everything then so be it.

music theory is an elective. I'm not saying that you should just learn the bare minimum, it's just that you don't need to know everything to live a good life. my dad doesn't have a bachelors degree, yet he is the manager of the radiology department at a large local hospital
Quote by Spamwise
music theory is an elective. I'm not saying that you should just learn the bare minimum, it's just that you don't need to know everything to live a good life. my dad doesn't have a bachelors degree, yet he is the manager of the radiology department at a large local hospital

How?!?!?!

Quote by NFFC_1865
How?!?!?!

because he worked his way up? He went to a radiology school I believe..
You can only "work your way up" so far before you hit a glass ceiling... I call BS or you not quite understanding what your dad does, one or the other.
Quote by CtrlAltDel
You can only "work your way up" so far before you hit a glass ceiling... I call BS or you not quite understanding what your dad does, one or the other.

Well, they asked him to get his bachelors..but he has the job and he hasn't been able to get his bachelors, so I guess they don't care? haha
Quote by Spamwise
Well, they asked him to get his bachelors..but he has the job and he hasn't been able to get his bachelors, so I guess they don't care? haha

Im glad it aint my local hopital :p

"I want a job as a doctor."
"Okay have you got your qualifications"
"not yet"
"well we can give you th ejob and you just get it in your own time"

years later

"yo, "dr." smith, you got your degree yet?"
"no"
"Ahh. Whatevs "

Quote by Spamwise

You win this time, Inspector Gadget. I'm too tired to argue, but if you're telling the truth, that's interesting and kinda cool I guess.
To you europeans, the american education system ia a joke. No Child Left Behind is just stupid...so we really only learn the bare minimum anyway. As long as you can get into a college, you're ok, as that's where the real knowledge is. And around here you do that be making good act/sat scores. So, as long as he's practicing for the ACT, he has as good of a chance as any of us, and he's doing it without having to remember how much the doors on the capitol building cost. (true story)
Nope, no sig here.
lmao

he's not a doctor..huge difference

To you europeans, the american education system ia a joke. No Child Left Behind is just stupid...so we really only learn the bare minimum anyway. As long as you can get into a college, you're ok, as that's where the real knowledge is

yeah really..i mean unless you're going into engineering or some sort of science, you'll more than likely learn everything you need to learn in college or a tech school.
the reason public school is favored instead of homeschooling is the social aspect. you don't learn any social skills if you just stay at home every day.
Quote by schecter_guy
the reason public school is favored instead of homeschooling is the social aspect. you don't learn any social skills if you just stay at home every day.

sooo not true. i'm homeschooled, yet i have pretty good social skills. the most popular people i know (ie theyh recognize at least one or two people whenever we go out, anywhere and everywhere) are homeschooled. it's all about how you yourself deal with it
Quote by schecter_guy

He said he only really spends one hour a day at home learning stuff/studying. That leaves the rest of the day open to maybe, go to the movies, guitar shop, park, shopping centre, whatever, to go meet other people.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
You could possibly get away with saying F*ck in math class if you ask your teacher, "If numbers are endless, and at some point in time every syllable would have to be used to describe at least one number, at some point in time, would there be a number F*ck? Or a number Bon Jovi?"
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Spamwise
sooo not true. i'm homeschooled, yet i have pretty good social skills. the most popular people i know (ie theyh recognize at least one or two people whenever we go out, anywhere and everywhere) are homeschooled. it's all about how you yourself deal with it

Agreed.

However, to threadstarter, let me say this: your plan sucks and your life will suck as a result. I'm all for hating on the terrible state of the US public school system, but come on.
Quote by Spamwise

You know, I'm gonna support this. History is a useless crock to teach to most people, they forget it in ten minutes, and it really doesn't affect their ability to be a productive member of society. Last I checked, the world won't stop because someone has no idea what the date for Pearl Harbor is or who Millard Fillmore is. Most schools don't even offer a music program worth a damn, my school had band and that was it.

Honestly, math, physics, a bit of chemistry, and a smattering of English is all that I see a need for in everyday life. I never learnt no nuthin' in my English classes, History was a waste of my time, along with my Intro to Internet and Network Administration classes.

The fact of the matter is that all you need to be able to do to make a solid living without much hard work is to have the ability to talk to people or do math. Being knowledgeable in other areas is nice, but you don't really need it.

My view is the whole educational system is kinda messed up. Lowest common denominator teaching, it's a terrible educational system. There's little logic to slowing every class down to the extent that the slowest person doesn't have to break a sweat. That's the reason that so many intelligent people despise schooling (the worse part is it still happens in college... yuck). The reality of the matter is that there are tons of people capable of teaching themselves as well, if not better than a teacher, in less time and with less stress.

Moral of this story, I hated, and still do hate school, so I wanted to flame. And, no, I shouldn't complain because it comes easy to me (not trying to sound cocky, sorry if I do) and it's gonna make me lots of easy money in the future.

More on topic, way to go man, that's the best loop-hole I've ever seen. The ACT is easy as ****, the trick is to not stress like 99% of people do. I always say that tests, especially big tests, are 10% knowledge, 90% confidence.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying here. I'm gearing up to go to college. I've already been accepted into UT. I'm a junior in high school taking college night courses twice a week to get some of the mandatory classes out of the way, and then I'm doing pre-med on my way to a doctorate. No slacking off and I've got what I'm doing with my life planned out. Don't write this off as some lazy kid trying to gloat.

The main reason I'm saying to go for this is because you don't have to be hampered down by the kids in class who 'just don't get it'. Last semester I hammered through seven subjects. That's why I'm only doing Trig right now, and I still look over my outlines from my other books everyday.

When it comes to the social portion, there's a host of options as well. I'm lucky enough to know a few good people that learn at home. Everyone in public gets out at three here leaving plenty of time to see my other friends, and you can always get a job to pass the time. An hour or two a day I play guitar and record things down. I even have an agreement with the theater teacher at my old school that, in essence, let's me just hang out there twice a week. I'm helping with scenery.

I'm just trying to say I care a lot about my education and if you're like me then you're sick of public school. This is a viable alternative, and if you want to spend your time on other things once you've done your work then you are allowed to move on and do it.
Last edited by CzwtheMerph at Feb 29, 2008,

Originaly posted by Spamwise

hahahahahahahaha...............

catches breath............

hahahahahahahahahah.........

I should also assume then that there is no mandatory common sense testing either?
Origanally Posted by Rocko Mummble:
A menage a trois means a threesome??

I always thought it meant eating with two other people...
Quote by CzwtheMerph
I am a native of the (not so) glorious state of Tennessee. Living in a backwater hick town named Mt. Juliet, I had to spend kindergarten through tenth grade in the equivalent of southern hell. The kids were stupid, and the teachers three times more so.
When it all became too much, I decided I'd had enough, and went on a rampage through the halls yelling that the administration was run by NAZI's at the top of my lungs. I was subsequently expelled. This is the where the loop hole comes into play.

First, it's not a "loop hole", anyone can be home schooled at anytime. Second, Mt. Juliet is not a backwater hick town. Now I don't know what part of Mt. Juliet you live in, but just about the only people that live in Mt. Juliet are rich people anyways.
Also, "southern hell" as opposed to what, northern hell, pacific hell, the lower east side of hell? How fucking tough is it to go to high school? Last time I checked it was pretty damn easy and all i did was sleep and hang out with my friends..... ah wait a minute. No wonder you didn't like school, you must of had no friends. Tis' a shame, but I bet it is hard to make friends when you insult the whole school/city/state. Don't blame you lack of social skills on the school, it's not their fault you like to spend all your time with yourself, seeing as how you think your better than everyone else.

Nobody should feel sorry for you. I've known tons of great people that live in Mt. Juliet, I know Tennessee is an awesome state, and I'm not going to feel sorry for you just cause you fail at life. But hey, what do I know, I made it through high school, i made good grades, and now the great state of Tennessee is putting my ass through college to be an audio engineer. It beats the hell out of sitting around at home and doing nothing.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
The main reason I'm saying to go for this is because you don't have to be hampered down by the kids in class who 'just don't get it'

this is the one thing i have against homeschooling. unless your parents are very knowledgeable about each subject, or you have books that explain each subject very well, it's very easy to not get something.

For example, algebra and geometry are not my forte. I need someone to explain it to me, however my parents are both clueless about it and the books I've had are terrible. so basically i have to go take algebra 1 and 2 (maybe geometry as well) at a local community college if i ever want to hope of getting at least average scores on the SAT/ACT.

it's cool that you're in the situation you're in though. congrats on being accepted to a college already
Quote by Smooth_11
hahahahahahahaha...............

catches breath............

hahahahahahahahahah.........

I should also assume then that there is no mandatory common sense testing either?

Oh, so do you balance chemical equasions on a daily basis? Do you do proofs of geometric statements in daily conversations? Oh, you don't? Exactly.
Two issues in this thread that are bugging me...

A ton of people go to public school all their lives, and never develop good social skills.

Bill Gates/Micheal Dell never went to college...they're doing fine. Sure it doesn't happen much, but its very possible.

But, getting into college will be probably much harder by being homeschooled. More and more schools are steering away from admission primarily due to standardized testing scores. Not sure what opinions may be about it, but i'm not sure its helping you any thats for sure.

Also, saying that the most popular people you know are homeschooled is sort of rediculous, because maybe if you weren't homeschooled, you know alot more people...

I dunno...but anyways...don't flake out on life, even if you can. If you go to college, it will be way too much for you to handle because you wont be used to it...
I know it's really just an exercise in futility to try to come back with a rebuttal when talking in a forum, but I was not a social recluse. As a matter of fact I was my class president this year before I left.

I'll concede my statement on it being a southern hell was a gross exaggeration, but Mt. Juliet High School is one of the least effective educational facilities in the state. I'll also admit that 'hick' probably shouldn't have been the word to apply. Maybe, when referring to the students, the phrase 'doesn't realize how the world works' would have been better.

Also, I define 'loop-hole' as anything you can use to get out of a legal obligation. In this case you aren't actually forced to do any work past a certain point as opposed to staying public school.
Quote by CzwtheMerph
I know it's really just an exercise in futility to try to come back with a rebuttal when talking in a forum, but I was not a social recluse. As a matter of fact I was my class president this year before I left.

I'll concede my statement on it being a southern hell was a gross exaggeration, but Mt. Juliet High School is one of the least effective educational facilities in the state. I'll also admit that 'hick' probably shouldn't have been the word to apply. Maybe, when referring to the students, the phrase 'doesn't realize how the world works' would have been better.

Also, I define 'loop-hole' as anything you can use to get out of a legal obligation. In this case you aren't actually forced to do any work past a certain point as opposed to staying public school.

You don't seem like a stupid kid, so props to you for that, but honestly, I don't see how on one hand you can be doing nothing but studying for standardized tests which actually do have zero real-life value, and on the other hand be gearing up to go to university, which actually requires (and rewards you with) knowledge that is applicable to academic and everyday life. Am I missing something here?
Quote by CzwtheMerph

That's better, cause it's only a short drive up 840, and i have a full tank of gas.

But now that's it all said and done, you can just go fuck yourself, cause i'm going back to sleep.

THE END
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by Spamwise
Oh, so do you balance chemical equasions on a daily basis? Do you do proofs of geometric statements in daily conversations? Oh, you don't? Exactly.

I know a lot of people who do those things on a daily basis. They are called chemists and mathematicians and they go to the same university that I do. They are also going to be making significantly more money than people who can't do those things.

Also, saying that the most popular people you know are homeschooled is sort of rediculous, because maybe if you weren't homeschooled, you know alot more people...

maybe it's ridiculous because you're used to the stereotype. I know a good deal of people. I myself am not very popular (maybe 7-10 real friends) but i'm definitely not a recluse either.

Originally posted by Spamwise

First off you assuming I don't do any of these things on a daily basis. Nobody does. They are called weekends. Secondly I may not do chemical equations everyday, but I certainly use geometry quite often. People skills, which are quite useful in everyday applications, are hard to acquire sitting at home in front of your tv. I would have used more nouns and adjectives to prove my point but i'm fairly certain your english skills are not up to par with standards. This may be due to the fact that sponge bob is not a good teacher.

Class dismissed
Origanally Posted by Rocko Mummble:
A menage a trois means a threesome??

I always thought it meant eating with two other people...
Quote by Jugthug42
Two issues in this thread that are bugging me...

A ton of people go to public school all their lives, and never develop good social skills.

Bill Gates/Micheal Dell never went to college...they're doing fine. Sure it doesn't happen much, but its very possible.

But, getting into college will be probably much harder by being homeschooled. More and more schools are steering away from admission primarily due to standardized testing scores. Not sure what opinions may be about it, but i'm not sure its helping you any thats for sure.

I dunno...but anyways...don't flake out on life, even if you can. If you go to college, it will be way too much for you to handle because you wont be used to it...

Yeah, but Bill Gates was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and another one up his ass. He coulda screwed everything up and still lived his life without working.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by psychokiller99
doesn't sound like you are any smarter than those "stupid souther kids" as you call them.

anyone that wants to take your advice: good luck getting anywhere in life. i'll enjoy my 70K 100K a year paycheck with my BS in civil engineering. and i'll enjoy being intellectually superior to you as well.

As well as being so humble!
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Last edited by terrencemaddox at Feb 29, 2008,
Well I'm not just studying for standardized tests. I've already taken the ACT at the beginning of this year and got a 30, with my big downfall being Trigonometry. Right now I've already met my quota for subjects on the year so I'm focusing on upping my score in the hopes of getting some kind of scholarship to help with financial when I eventually move up to Knoxville.

I know a lot of people who do those things on a daily basis. They are called chemists and mathematicians and they go to the same university that I do. They are also going to be making significantly more money than people who can't do those things.

yeah, which is why I excluded people going into sciencies or engineering.

I would have used more nouns and adjectives to prove my point but i'm fairly certain your english skills are not up to par with standards. This may be due to the fact that sponge bob is not a good teacher.

First off, you're assuming I don't do well in grammar. Even if you are better at academics, no one will want to be around or hire a person with your arrogance. I'm sure you're fine with that though. You're better than them, right?

People skills, which are quite useful in everyday applications, are hard to acquire sitting at home in front of your tv.

you can't teach social skills. they're something that you have to go out and get yourself. Don't pretend that everyone that goes to public schools are great socially. You know as well as I do that there are countless people in public school that have no friends and don't talk to anyone unless spoken to.
Quote by Smooth_11
This may be due to the fact that sponge bob is not a good teacher.

Class dismissed

Ten points for making me smile!

I have a midterm tomorrow morning so I'm going to bed now but to reiterate my point, there's nothing wrong with homeschooling and in some cases it can be better than attending the hell that is high school. However, using homeschooling as an excuse for doing jack crap while you sit at home all day is quite lame. High scores in standardized tests won't get you anywhere in life if you can't learn and apply real knowledge and use it in a postsecondary setting.

There's nothing wrong with making the conscious decision not to pursue a university or college career, but for heaven's sake, don't fool yourself into thinking that you can succeed in life by finding loopholes in a system that is already so full of holes that it's barely able to stay afloat. Eventually, as you move up the education system and beyond, you're going to run out of loopholes and you'll be screwed.

This has been fun and interesting though, so if anyone wants to talk about this further just shoot me a pm.
Page 1 of 3