Id just like to know the basics of playing heavy metal guitar... Such as, do I have to pick very hard on the strings when playing? Or it has to be fast or slow, etc.

Thanks
Look into my eyes...
Current Gear:
Ibanez Iceman IC400
Marshall MG15DFX
BOSS Metal Zone
BOSS NS-2
ummm distortion. I dunno you could sit here all day listening to people arguing what is 'metal' and what isn't... and specific bands you want to sound like?
You don't have to do anything. As long as you have a guitar, and amp, and some distortion, you can play metal. Develop your own style. Figure out what style that is by playing other songs and messing around on your own.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Power chord and single note riffing are key.

The most commonly used scales in metal are the Chromatic and Minor Pentatonic, which are both extremely easy to use, and fun to experiment with.

You don't have to pick harder, but when doing powerchords and riffing on the low E, downpicking sounds cool, but when doing lead work, focus on a clean alternate picking style. I recommend three note per string ideas, but, it's metal, so feel free to experiment as you see fit.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Anger, Aggression, and tenacity. You can play a riff calmly and smoothly, but it sounds cooler if you hit it hard.
Hair.

Besides that,theory.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
thanks for the info guys, its just that my girlfriend says that i pick the strings so hard, it makes my playing sounds so harsh... and im not sure if im "playing metal" or just plain smacking the guitar around like a retard.. lol
Heres something i played, i cant tell if my picking is harsh or what, any ideas would be great -

http://media.putfile.com/Chec

thanks again~
Sounds awesome! If you don't mind me asking, for how long have you been playing. And do you take lessons or are you self-taught?
alot of metal is played in drop d...its where u drop the top E to a D....play an e power chord and see how smooth it is then tune the E string (the biggest string) down until the top 3 strings sound as smooth...then u can do power chords by jus holding down the top three on the same fret....its pretty cool...SOAD uses it alot...palm muting is always good to use to...like E chugga chugga G chugga chugga....then jus screw around with the pentatonic...to throw in little riffs here and there...jus a few suggestions
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
Quote by YellowKing
Id just like to know the basics of playing heavy metal guitar... Such as, do I have to pick very hard on the strings when playing? Or it has to be fast or slow, etc.

Thanks

Picking hard will give you a lot of attack, but will cut your sustain down a lot. This makes it good for metal rhythm when combined with palm muting.

Learning to do both, (play softly and hard) is important.

Learn theory to. Minor tonality is used most often in metal, with occasional use of diminished and chromatic.
Quote by Roookie
Sounds awesome! If you don't mind me asking, for how long have you been playing. And do you take lessons or are you self-taught?

2 years, self taught, never received any critizisim(however u spell lol) except my girlfriend saying my picking sounds so harsh, so i thought i was doing something wrong

and thanks for the tips guys! very appreciated! ive always loved to play metal and was missing the most common ideas
The fundamentals to alot of metal are just speed and stamina. Metal songs are typically very fast and quite long so these are essential.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by YellowKing
2 years, self taught, never received any critizisim(however u spell lol) except my girlfriend saying my picking sounds so harsh, so i thought i was doing something wrong

and thanks for the tips guys! very appreciated! ive always loved to play metal and was missing the most common ideas

does yur girlfriend have any experience at all
if no then tell her to mind her own buisness so you can be metal
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Minor scales, power chords, and pedal tone riffs are pretty much the basics of a lot of metal songs.
I feel stupid for asking, but what exactly is single-note riffing or single-note soloing?

I've heard both terms, but not sure what it actually means.
Quote by Delanoir
I feel stupid for asking, but what exactly is single-note riffing or single-note soloing?

I've heard both terms, but not sure what it actually means.

Soloing and riffing using single notes as opposed to chordal riffing and soloing (using chords).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by YellowKing
thanks for the info guys, its just that my girlfriend says that i pick the strings so hard, it makes my playing sounds so harsh... and im not sure if im "playing metal" or just plain smacking the guitar around like a retard.. lol
Heres something i played, i cant tell if my picking is harsh or what, any ideas would be great -

http://media.putfile.com/Chec

thanks again~

Playing sounds alright, but the tone coming from your amp is harsh. What amp is that?
Quote by blayzin420
alot of metal is played in drop d...its where u drop the top E to a D....play an e power chord and see how smooth it is then tune the E string (the biggest string) down until the top 3 strings sound as smooth...then u can do power chords by jus holding down the top three on the same fret....its pretty cool...SOAD uses it alot...palm muting is always good to use to...like E chugga chugga G chugga chugga....then jus screw around with the pentatonic...to throw in little riffs here and there...jus a few suggestions

SOAD uses Dropped C, and lately Drop C#

but not drop D
First and foremost-have balls.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by vivalasoad883
SOAD uses Dropped C, and lately Drop C#

but not drop D

lol well ariels is done in drop D....and i dont think there gettin back together so there s not gonna be a lately lol...not the point though...it sounds very metalish...and its aot easier to move around the power chords on the low strings
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
Quote by The Atomic Ass
Playing sounds alright, but the tone coming from your amp is harsh. What amp is that?

Marshall 15dfx, Im playing straight to my computer though. I have a Metal Zone 2 pedal too. most of my recording are all harsh and fuzzy, any suggestions?
You can hear it here : GaGa
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/YellowKing/
Last edited by YellowKing at Mar 1, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Soloing and riffing using single notes as opposed to chordal riffing and soloing (using chords).

Ok, I think I understand what you mean.

And I apologize for this, but can anyone give me an example of each just to make sure?
Quote by blayzin420
lol well ariels is done in drop D....and i dont think there gettin back together so there s not gonna be a lately lol...not the point though...it sounds very metalish...and its aot easier to move around the power chords on the low strings

Not it wasn't; aerials, just like everything before mesmerize/hypnotize, was drop C.

Delanoir: Well it's difficult to give examples, most riffs are neither exclusively...but things like most Dream Theater instrumental breaks, a lot of death metal riffs and the spider riff in Master of Puppets by Metallica (the second one in the intro after the chromatic bit) are all single note ideas whereas nearly all punk riffs, blues riffs, jazz vamps and things like that are chordal riffs.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that single note lines are more technical though, most really good riffs are a combination of the two.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by YellowKing
Marshall 15dfx, Im playing straight to my computer though. I have a Metal Zone 2 pedal too. most of my recording are all harsh and fuzzy, any suggestions?
You can hear it here : GaGa
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/YellowKing/

Yeah, ditch the MG. But seriously I had the CDR version and it sounded just as bad at high distortion, and worse with pedals. Unfortunately there aren't many good practice or gigging amps below $500. I've not had experience with the Metal Zone, but I haven't heard anything good.

Personally, I use the Digitech RP250 Multi-FX pedal, and it works good with a lot of tweaking.

How are you running straight to computer, is it "Guitar -> Amp -> Mic -> Computer" *OR* "Guitar -> Digital interface -> Computer" *OR* the dreaded "Guitar -> Amp -> Lineout -> Computer" ?

I'll have to post another clip on my profile with the distortion settings in my RP250, but you can listen to the one clip I have there already.

And having listened to the clip in your profile, number one problem is that everything in it is being driven into clipping. Whatever software you are using, you need to adjust all your levels so that your recording level never reaches the red. Keep the peaks of your recordings in the yellow range. Do you hear the buzzing that accompanies the louder sections of the bass intro and gets worse with the guitar? That's your harsh culprit.

Edit: Also, some pickups, (like the ones in my RG7321), have a tendency to sound bad when they are right up against the strings. Lowering them might help as well.
Last edited by The Atomic Ass at Mar 1, 2008,
You sound like you need a tube amp. That will definately bring
out the dynamics in your picking.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by The Atomic Ass
Yeah, ditch the MG. But seriously I had the CDR version and it sounded just as bad at high distortion, and worse with pedals. Unfortunately there aren't many good practice or gigging amps below $500. I've not had experience with the Metal Zone, but I haven't heard anything good.

Personally, I use the Digitech RP250 Multi-FX pedal, and it works good with a lot of tweaking.

How are you running straight to computer, is it "Guitar -> Amp -> Mic -> Computer" *OR* "Guitar -> Digital interface -> Computer" *OR* the dreaded "Guitar -> Amp -> Lineout -> Computer" ?

I'll have to post another clip on my profile with the distortion settings in my RP250, but you can listen to the one clip I have there already.

And having listened to the clip in your profile, number one problem is that everything in it is being driven into clipping. Whatever software you are using, you need to adjust all your levels so that your recording level never reaches the red. Keep the peaks of your recordings in the yellow range. Do you hear the buzzing that accompanies the louder sections of the bass intro and gets worse with the guitar? That's your harsh culprit.

Edit: Also, some pickups, (like the ones in my RG7321), have a tendency to sound bad when they are right up against the strings. Lowering them might help as well.

Ya, Im planning on ditching the Metal Zone, no idea what to get though. As for the amp, I JUST got this amp, so this is the best I can do until I get some serious cash lol.
The thing though, I think sounds/tones pretty rad when not on recording

Actually the intro was just clean guitar, Lol. I know it sounds so fuzzy! I use Audacity. I connect through my amp-->soundcard

Oo Oo and how do I know what is and what is not a Tube Amp? Would it really be better? What other amp should I try for serious crunchy tones?
You need to know things like power chords, tapping, some pentatonic scales for basic soloing, pinch harmonics, harmonics in general, alternate picking, string skipping, tremolo picking, and definitely palm muting.
Quote by YellowKing
Ya, Im planning on ditching the Metal Zone, no idea what to get though. As for the amp, I JUST got this amp, so this is the best I can do until I get some serious cash lol.
The thing though, I think sounds/tones pretty rad when not on recording

Actually the intro was just clean guitar, Lol. I know it sounds so fuzzy! I use Audacity. I connect through my amp-->soundcard

Oo Oo and how do I know what is and what is not a Tube Amp? Would it really be better? What other amp should I try for serious crunchy tones?

The amp is probably not giving a good signal out to the computer.

I honestly thought the intro was a double-bass myself.

It's usually a pretty obvious difference between SS amps and tube amps. Even if their not marked, a quick peek in the back usually confirms which is which. Tube amps have a variety of glass tubes in them, SS amps do not.

It would be hard to find a good metal amp for anywhere near what you paid for the MG. But if you wanna talk about price is no object try a Bogner Uberschall. That most certainly plays heavy metal.
Heavy Metal requires goofy pants and a fat @$$
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Any suggested pedals to crank up my tone?

What do you think is the best metal gear out there?

I think theres also a lot of people*(at least I do ) who would like to hear *your*metal tone/playing examples.
So if you got some cool stuff to share, it would be great.
Last edited by YellowKing at Mar 5, 2008,