A7X08
795 IQ
so i really wanna learn some slipknot but i cant get the sounds and i heard somewhere that they use dropped b tuning or something but htey also use heavyer gauge strings now i wanna know if i need heavyer gauge strings to get the sound or i think my amp might need more distortion...idk?

any help?
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re
1,134 IQ
What amp / guitar / effects do you use?? As for strings, you NEED heavier strings because they tune to drop B
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
A7X08
795 IQ
i have alittle marshall Mg10cd and dont use any effects or anything and what gauge of strings do you know?
RockerPseudonym
UG's Resident Evil
364 IQ
Get a 7 string guitar.

That way, you can switch back and forth between Drop B and standard tunings.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
dunda130
Forever comes to an end
292 IQ
Mate, you're going to need more than a $100 strat copy and 10 watt Marshall....
Get a Roland Cube 30x and a Squire or and Epiphone and maybe a Line 6 Pod 2.0 or Boss ME-20

Edit: I use 11-54s and they're just right in drop B but a bit tight and heavy sounder when I tune up to standard, make sure you get your guitar setup for the thicker strings
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Last edited by dunda130 at Feb 29, 2008,
binkythefurious
Grrr....
188 IQ
I'm 99% sure mick is using 11-49 set, jim is using a thicker set as far as i know, not sure how thick though
TheQuailman
Dan says I like poop
964 IQ
For drop b, you should use 0.12 strings. 0.11 can be a bit sloppy in that tuning. And there is no way for you to get the slipknot sound with a 10w practice amp. Best you can do is turning down the mids, while turning up bass, treble and gain.
zapparage
1,268 IQ
Get as many amps as you can and crank them all simultaneously with different EQs.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
guitarman216
Banned
450 IQ
for B? i'd go 12-56 at least.

probably closer to 60's, actually.

you want the slipknot tone? go and save your pennies and pick yourself up a Rivera Knucklehead and a Bogner Uberschall.
Renka
Zombie
727 IQ
I know it's a bit of topic, but I would like to salute all the users who offered help in a thread I cynically believed would not be treated seriously.

You give me hope for this place.
binkythefurious
Grrr....
188 IQ
60s are what munky uses do tune down to A, you tune a 60 to B it's probably gonna be way too tight.

Yeah 11-49 would be sloppy, but hey i guess thats part of their sound, after all A7X08 wants the slipknot sound not the machinehead sound
False_God
ios 5 compatible
8,045 IQ
Quote by guitarman216
^ do you consider my post to be helpful? :]

You post gave hope, but with a broken dream in the distance because he'll be short $2000
jerm__
2,646 IQ
theres no way in hell mick has 49's on his guitars. For B i would go anywhere from 56-64. I play a C in 54 and i used to play C with a 58 and it was beautiful. No flop, just tone.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
guitarman216
Banned
450 IQ
Quote by False_God
You post gave hope, but with a broken dream in the distance because he'll be short $2000

hey, he wanted to know.

and those amps will get him alot closer than a heavier set of strings.
jerm__
2,646 IQ
yes^ because theres no way a 49 could even take being in B, it wouldn't even ring.

Oh, here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Thompson

* Mick uses Custom Gauge Ernie Ball Strings (11-15-18-28-38-58 and 12-16-20-30-40-64).
told you.
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
nedthehead
1,763 IQ
Put two garbage cans in the room and smack them as visciously as you can... and that's the GUITAR's sound!
Well, I dont really mean that, but I am not the biggest fan of Slipknot.
What you need is a better amp. Really, everything esle aside, a Marshall MG won't get you anything more than Classic to moderate rock. If you want something a lot heavier, Id start saving up for a good amp... I mean good amp. Or even get something like a Blues amp with a good clean channel, throw a distortion pedal in the effects loop, and you can get decently close (And also have a kick-ass clean channel)
garden of grey
Banned
348 IQ
Quote by binkythefurious
60s are what munky uses do tune down to A, you tune a 60 to B it's probably gonna be way too tight.

I used to play in C with 70's
crackhutch
Satanic Soldier
196 IQ
Here's what you do, I can get the sound out of a Kustom 12 Guage 15w amp so don't listen to the whole "buy a new amp thing." Get thicker strings, drop it to Drop B tuning, send the mids to almost none, put the highs about 1/2 way to 3/4 and put the lows/bass almost all the way up, then go out and buy yourself a $20 Danelectro FAB Metal Distortion Pedal. Or, you can buy a Line 6 Spider III amp that has the SlipKnoT setting on it and just drop the tuning on your guitar.
Ventor
Registered Abuser
223 IQ
Quote by garden of grey
I used to play in C with 70's

I don't know but you could break your neck with that much tension.
I doubt you could do a lot of bends unless you have very strong fingers. Good to train your fingerstrength however
guitarist_with_
339 IQ
Quote by jerm__
yes^ because theres no way a 49 could even take being in B, it wouldn't even ring.

Oh, here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Thompson

* Mick uses Custom Gauge Ernie Ball Strings (11-15-18-28-38-58 and 12-16-20-30-40-64).
told you.

I like how say a 49 couldn't take being in B and then go on to use that reliable webpage.

Different guitars are set up for different things, kid.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
crackhutch
Satanic Soldier
196 IQ
Quote by guitarist_with_
I like how say a 49 couldn't take being in B and then go on to use that reliable webpage.

Yes, it is an unreliable website, but I've use those strings and they'll work. But the Ernie Ball custom's can drop to well past B and still pick up on my Dean Timecapsule Cadillac, so either way, they can be used.
Last edited by crackhutch at Mar 27, 2008,
jerm__
2,646 IQ
Quote by guitarist_with_

Ok dude....no guitar can take 49's in B. Unless you like massive flog.

Even still, i know he doesn't use ****ing' 49's. Go on the ernieball site and look.

58-11's is what he uses.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
xxunder-takerxx
The UT
1,349 IQ
i use 52s and can get B ok. as for gear, i use a seymour duncan SH-6 super distortion pickup in my epiphone with a metal muff...perfect slipknot sound.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Jordan-xero
12 IQ
Okay, well get a good amp with a good clean channel, hook up a boss metal pedal, put the mids down LOW and tune to drop b with superthick strings. Line six has slipknot tone but i find that it is not accurate....but that is just an oppinion....need more than a practice amp...
WTF!!is a TAB
♥SkullGirls♥
2,297 IQ
no bumping old threadz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Soul Eater
A God Among Men
846 IQ
I don't know if its just me, but I use .11's for standard.
When I tune to open D, I feel like they're way too loose.
How can you go down to B with .11's?
Maybe my finger strength is so massive from playing these drop tuning gauges in standard?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater