Hey,

I have been looking around for a good amp that can really belt out some good pop-rock/punk tones. What I mean by that is tones like Paramore, Blink 182, Green Day etc. All those bands have a pretty simular guitar tone.

It needs to be loud enough to gig with, but still good for a bedroom amp. So 50w-100w sounds pretty good.

I have a price range from about $400-$800, but I am prepared to go a tad over the limit if neccesary.

Hope you guys can help

EDIT:

Here is an exact tone I am looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXfeH-3Hp4

Any amp that sounds simular to that would be awesome.
Last edited by Sabbz at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by uvq
marshall obviously

The only Marshalls in his price range are MGs, which are wank.

TS - look at the Traynor YCV50 Blue...it might be a bit classy for pop punk but soundwise it's perfect

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ah, forgot to mention something important. I live in Australia, and I mean 400-800 AU. My bad, I should of mentioned >_<

Anyway, I have been looking around, and a Peavey Valveking 112 looks pretty good. Can it produce the tones I'm after?
The Valveking should do a decent enough job for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Sabbz, What part of Aus. are you from?
Steven Seagull, The Valveking gets sold for a lot more than 400-800 AU.
Sometimes upto 1200.

I think I saw a Valveking 50watt on Ebay though Sabbz, so check there!
Last edited by Moe. at Feb 29, 2008,
I live about 1 and a half hours away from Melbourne in a town called Shepparton.

My local store has a VK-212 for $1,299. But I just want a VK-121. I used Moe's suggestion and checked eBay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120224580093&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

Wow, that's a great deal! It even comes with the footswitch and I am close enough to go pick it up.

But before I rest my decision, any other opinions on the VK? Will I be able to get decent pop-punk tones (Paramore) from it?
Shepparton, I've been there. Nice little town.

That looks good too, but I don't know; Would it be worth taking the risk of paying through bank deposit?
Try asking the Ebayer if you could pay with paypal or something.
valvekings probably your best bet but also try a vox ad50vt and a roland cube 60 before you buy. it might be easier to get that nice fuzzy trebly sound in the video with a good solid state/ hybrid
Quote by Moe.
Sabbz, What part of Aus. are you from?
Steven Seagull, The Valveking gets sold for a lot more than 400-800 AU.
Sometimes upto 1200.

I think I saw a Valveking 50watt on Ebay though Sabbz, so check there!

*shrugs*

he mentioned it himself so I just assumed it was in his price range
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, it's been a big help.

Keep 'em coming
bump. Unless people have any objections, looks like the VK is the way to go.
Last edited by Sabbz at Feb 29, 2008,
Sorry for another bump, but I need some more opinions.

Thanks
Hm.
We can't give you much help though to be honest.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to what suits you best and what sounds best to your ears!
That said, Go to your local store and ask if you can try some amps out, tell them what you're looking for, and ask as many questions as possible. The more amps you try, the better! So don't stick on a one brand idea.
Hope I could help.
Quote by Time To Dance!
Thats a brain twister.
Marshall!
The ONLY amp to use....EVER!!!

In his price range all he could get is an MG, so no.
Quote by Time To Dance!
Thats a brain twister.
Marshall!
The ONLY amp to use....EVER!!!

Why? There's a lot of other companies. Marshall isn't the best.

The Valveking would nail that pretty well.

I've seen Paramore's guitarists use a Mesa Dual Rec, and the Valveking does a decent job of doing that modern American distortion tone.
Well, I took the suggestions and went to the store any tried out just about every amp reccommended. In the end I decided the Valveking handled the tone I wanted nearly perfectly.

Thanks for the help guys
hey man same i need a amp for punk music mainly blink, fall out boy n new found glory i was thinking peavey valve king head or line 6 spider 4 head any suggestions anyone ???
Imo the best punk amp is the JCM900. You might pick up one for that money if you look around.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Check out a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL combo. Those are quite good for the price.

If you want it to sound a little bit "tighter," you might want a boost pedal of some sort or an EQ pedal.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I have no idea about gear prices in Oz but I've heard they're pretty ridiculous...If you can pick one up in your budget then a DSL will nail the Paramore tone perfectly, they used them on Riot and Brand New Eyes and have used them live since about the same period.

They used dual rectos on the All We Know, but I assume that'll be in your price range and to be honest for their sound I think the DSL sounds much better. You don't really need anything to tighten it up unless you want to go for a high gain sound, it can't do modern metal without a boost, but anything lower I prefer it unboosted.

Failing all of that...the Valveking is a good choice, I was really impressed when I tried them out and almost bought one.
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212