hi there, I'm planning on playing a couple of iron maiden's songs with my trio but I'm the only guitar player so I was wondering if there was a good harmonizer out there as a stand in for the second guitar for 2 lines of harmony, any suggestion?
If your guitar is tuned correctly, go with a PS5 or a rack harmonizer. You wont' be quick enough on the whammy if you're doing stuff like Trooper.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
guess the PS5 is the cheapest solution, how does it sound live? someone told me it's good for home recording but it gets blurry at live especially with a distortion, is it true?
depends, with some overrive, sometimes it will track better. You also must be mostly flawless in your playing. hit only one note at a time, otherwise you will confuse it.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
depends, with some overrive, sometimes it will track better. You also must be mostly flawless in your playing. hit only one note at a time, otherwise you will confuse it.

yeah I need to harmonize iron maiden style so single notes, not chords nor bichords, I'll have to use it with a Boss ds-1 and an ibanez TS808 mostly used as a booster or soft crunch, would it work with these 2 pedals in ur opinion?

another question:

my rig is composed of boss pedals except for the tubescreamer, here's the order:

guitar-CS3-TS808-DS1-DD3-CE5- amp

where should I put the PS5 in order to make it sound the proper way?
The third guitarist in my band uses the PS5 as a harmonizer (and a whammy ) and it sounds great with distortion. I'm pretty sure his setup is Guitar -> Boss DD-6 -> PS-5 -> Amp, because he uses the PS5 to harmonize delayed loops.

So I'm guessing you should put the PS-5 after the CS3 and the TS808 so the guitar is harmonized before it distorts - you can't really harmonize a distorted or boosted signal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
The third guitarist in my band uses the PS5 as a harmonizer (and a whammy ) and it sounds great with distortion. I'm pretty sure his setup is Guitar -> Boss DD-6 -> PS-5 -> Amp, because he uses the PS5 to harmonize delayed loops.

So I'm guessing you should put the PS-5 after the CS3 and the TS808 so the guitar is harmonized before it distorts - you can't really harmonize a distorted or boosted signal.

It's not really a good thing to put the harmonizer after the delay. Why? because then the harmonizer might get overlapping notes, say a G and a C. The Harmonizer won't know what note to mess with, and you'll end up with flab. Depends on what you use the delay for.

Secondly, yes, you CAN harmonize a boosted or distorted signal. I own a whammy, and it does it just fine if I put it after the overdrive or fuzz. Tom morello used his whammy in the loop for the self titled album, and I think for the battle of los angeles.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by Reincaster
It's not really a good thing to put the harmonizer after the delay. Why? because then the harmonizer might get overlapping notes, say a G and a C. The Harmonizer won't know what note to mess with, and you'll end up with flab. Depends on what you use the delay for.

Secondly, yes, you CAN harmonize a boosted or distorted signal. I own a whammy, and it does it just fine if I put it after the overdrive or fuzz. Tom morello used his whammy in the loop for the self titled album, and I think for the battle of los angeles.

Oh I had meant that with the delay pedal he creates a loop that is harmonized when it goes through the PS5. Then he usually runs off to go play keyboards or run the sequencer on our laptop.
And after some experimentation I guess you are right about harmonizing a boosted signal, but I guess it's a matter of personal preference whether or not you do so.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by kevinmask
so I put it between the DS1 and the delay correct?

Go ahead and try it there to see what happens and come back if it doesn't work.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
Go ahead and try it there to see what happens and come back if it doesn't work.

I have decided to go for a boss HR-2 cuz it has 2 voices for guitar orchestration (PS5 can only add one).

on harmony central I read that the best way to make it track notes properly with no distortion issues is to use the "detector input" with a splitter or an outup B from another pedal/tuner, some other people say it's better in the loop effects, I'm very confused and don't understand the first formula I mentioned, could you please explain this for me?

here's the pic of the pedal

and here's the topic on harmony central where they mention this detector input trick http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/HR-2+Harmonist/10/1