hey all,

I'm in the market for a new amp to match up nicely with my new Les Paul.
At the minute I have a line 6 spider 2 (i know), its done me well up till now but I want to look forward.

Budget wise, I'm limited to what I can sell the Spider for plus £250 I've just got for selling a jagstang and not a whole lot more.

I've been eyeing up a Marshall AVT 275, so any thoughts about that would be great aswell as any other suggestions available to me.

Cheers guys,

Adam
AVT isn't too good.. for that price range you can get a tube combo.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Your not going to get a decent Valve combo for that being realistic. If you like line 6 why not upgrade to a Flextone 3 XL, you can pick a nearly new one up on ebay for about £250-£300. There easily loud enough to gig with and sound a lot better than the Spider ones.
Alternativley, save a little more till you got £400-£500 and get a Marshall Valve combo like a DSL2000 or something like that.
I'd recommend a VOX Valvetronix, preferably the 100w version as it has two speakers, resulting in better sound. These amps are hybrids, like the AVT, but have much better tone, especially when it comes to cleans. Look here: www.voxamps.co.uk
We really need to know what you play, but i'd definitely say to look into tube combos at that price
Some suggestions would be the Laney LC30, Laney VC30, Peavey Valveking, Vox AC15, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (depending on how unimportant cleans are to you....) and i'd also suggest looking used =]
Also, in terms of tone: Amp > Guitar
So, if its a Gibson you're looking at, bear in mind spending less on the guitar and more on the amp is a good move... 'Specially considering how overpriced Gibbys are in the UK.
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Music styles I guess mainly classic rock leading onto more hi-gain stuff and metal, but I like to have as good a clean tone as possible so thats also a factor.
Well I've got an Epi Les Paul if thats any further help?

When I told a friend about the AVT he said wait and get a TSL combo too, so thats a consideration. I'll have a look into the Vox and flextone and some of the others mentioned - I am looking at getting a used one tbh, probably way out of my range to get a new one.

Cheers
Quote by TheQuailman
I'd recommend a VOX Valvetronix, preferably the 100w version as it has two speakers, resulting in better sound. These amps are hybrids, like the AVT, but have much better tone, especially when it comes to cleans. Look here: www.voxamps.co.uk

I loled.

Then, realized you were serious. Ouch.
After a quick look at some marshall valve-combos - the ones just over my budget all seem to be tiny? generally 1x12 40 watts - isnt that a tad small for a band worthy amp?
The flextone sounds like a pod in an amp - which isnt really what I'm after and I'm guessing the Vox mentioned isnt much kop due to the comment above lol?
I guess its Marshall all the way!
you are forgetting that tube amps are louder than solid state ones.

you will usually be fine in most situations with any tube amp that is over 30 watts

also don´t be lured in by the valve-solid_state hybrid amps. That is their purpose, to trick you into thinking that you are buying a better amp...
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Laney LC30, Laney VC30, Peavey Valveking, Vox AC15, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (depending on how unimportant cleans are to you....) are still my suggestions for good tube amps at low price. You only need about 30-50 watts really of tube watts to gig.
The Tiny Teror is a good suggestion, but i'm not sure it'd have any clean headroom in a gig situation....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
the peavey valveking is sounding quite appealing to me at the minute - anyone know anything about it a bit more in-depth?
Quote by jake_the_pake
the peavey valveking is sounding quite appealing to me at the minute - anyone know anything about it a bit more in-depth?
They are amazing dude, definately look into them.

I just bought one off eBay about 5 mins ago XD I tried it in the store, and it sounded great.
Quote by Sabbz
They are amazing dude, definately look into them.

I just bought one off eBay about 5 mins ago XD I tried it in the store, and it sounded great.

They're not amazing, unless you're played nothing but a ****ty SS practice amp your whole life.

That being said, they are very solid amps. Well built, easy to upgrade, flexable, and solid, if not amazing, overdrive and clean tones. With a nice overdrive pedal, you can get just about anything you'd need, gain-wise.
congrats on the ebaying! I'm on there finding anything I can - its a pain in the arse with amps though cause generally you have to go pick em up!

Think at the minute I'm leaning towards saving for a marshall DSL/TSL combo (or maybe half stack if saving goes well lol). Maybe if I get the chance to try a peavey then it may swing me - and i hope it does cause they're pretty cheap!