sorry if there's already a rec thread, but i can't find it and can't find any rules saying not to post this stuff, so...

are there any good kind of mild shred songs, around 10 notes per second, that can be found either on myspace or youtube and have decent guitar pro tabs?
preferably without much sweeping, since i stopped that due to my terrible technique (until i can find someone who can help me work on it)

thanks, and sorry if i shouldn't be posting that.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
technical difficulties.

It's not the most difficult song in the world but it sounds cool.

you'll be hard pressed to find a video or a myspace with the original version on. he improv's the solo almost every time he plays.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Feb 29, 2008,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
technical difficulties.

If that's the Racer X song, aka Metal Dog from Paul Gilbert's Instructional Videos... I think TS said about 10 notes per second.
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Quote by BoogieManMKD
If that's the Racer X song, aka Metal Dog from Paul Gilbert's Instructional Videos... I think TS said about 10 notes per second.

The solos are different for metal dog and technical difficulties but it's essentially the same song.

I can play it to an ok standard. It's not as difficult as some people make it out to be. And it helped me immensely with my alt picking.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
t's not as difficult as some people make it out to be. And it helped me immensely with my alt picking.

True dat! But still those licks he does in between are quite fast.
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Princeeeeeeeee.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by BoogieManMKD
True dat! But still those licks he does in between are quite fast.

according to the GP file those licks are 13 nps and the fastest part of the solo is 14nps. But to learn it I started at half speed and then eventually eased it up to speed so it shouldn't really be a problem.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
technical difficulties.

you'll be hard pressed to find a video or a myspace with the original version on. he improv's the solo almost every time he plays.

I'd be more impressed if he'd learn to play the original, it is so damn good. Especially the 3 note-per-string pent's. That man has fuckin' huge hands... like christ.

And if we're going to put out TD, might as well say scarified, it's a lot easier - provided you get the string skipping down.
hue
Quote by sock_demon
I'd be more impressed if he'd learn to play the original, it is so damn good. Especially the 3 note-per-string pent's. That man has fuckin' huge hands... like christ.

And if we're going to put out TD, might as well say scarified, it's a lot easier - provided you get the string skipping down.

I was suggesting the original and I find it easier doing the 2 notes per string pentatonics. That's what the tabs I've seen have had anyway.

And I just can't get scarified down. for some reason I get to the string skipping part and my brain goes

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I was suggesting the original and I find it easier doing the 2 notes per string pentatonics. That's what the tabs I've seen have had anyway.

And I just can't get scarified down. for some reason I get to the string skipping part and my brain goes

But paul did it with 3 per string

As for string skipping...

Well I alt pick a lot so I guess it comes naturally, I see string skipping as just moving to another string like always, just a little farther, I guess it takes some time getting used to... And I do have big hands, so I guess that helps. Guess it's different for people.
hue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaWI4bEnWE

^2notes per string.

It's only Scarified that gives me this much trouble. I can usually string skip as if it were normal alt picking but I just cannot for the life of me get those passages right

Quote by element4433
^^ As big a fan of Paul's as I am, that's a pretty bad performance of Technical Difficulties---and it's out of tune...I have a video of him playing it in Santiago and he is a bloody machine...He plays the Curse of Castle Dragon flawlessly too.

As for the solo, Ive seen lots of tabs where it's written as 3nps licks with stretched fingerings---think Colorado Bulldog ---and even though we are discussing essentially two ways of playing the same thing, I wa surprised to see Paul play it 2nps. Perhaps he was having a bit of an off night and didn't fancy doing a 2nd to 7th fret stretch.
Thank God im an atheist
thanks for the recs guys, should be a bit of a challenge for me...good initiative on recomending something that will challenge me for fingerings and such as well
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.