Hi

I know its possible to repair chips and stuff but I have a sunburst strat with a big chunk taken out of the finish. It is down to bare wood and is the size of a 10p coin. I think its nitrocellulose and it is on the dark bit that looks practically black. How do I go about repairing this? I want to do a pretty decent job of this and I want to use the correct stuff.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alfie
If the finish is nitrocellulose, you will be able to repair that. Nitrocellulose disolves into itself making the repair of the finish easier for you. I'm not sure what to tell you about the color...at least in a way that won't be noticable. You may be able to try black stain(or whatever color you need to match) and dab some into the chip. Do a little at a time and wipe off, repeat until you get the color of the chip to match the surrounding color. Once you get it close, or matched, let it dry for a day then move onto the nitro. I'd drip it into the chip until it is higher than the existing finish. This is because you want to make sure you don't leave any "potholes" and because the nitro will shrink as it cures. Let it sit for at least a week before sanding down the lump of nitro. Trust me, it will still be shrinking days after, so, if you sand it down smooth with the surrounding finish too soon, you'll still end up with a "pothole" days later and be filling that in with more nitro. This is of course if your finish is nitrocellulose...I realy don't know if it is on your guitar. As for what to sand with, I use micro-mesh sandpaper...wet sand through all 9 grits being careful about sanding through the surrounding area. Good luck.
If you would tell us the make and model of your guitar, someone might be able to tell you what type of finish it has.
Hi

I think the guitar is a 62 Reissue Fender strat. I was checking a couple of bits on the web and I have a coulple of questions.

1 should I seal the wood first like fender do. Eg with a clear wood sealer. would unibond not be a good idea ? (probably not I think)

2 Is Cellulose car Lacquer the same as Nitrocellulose Lacquer or similar enough to use?

3 For the colour would it be a good idea to mix some black wood dye to the Cellulose Lacquer to get the colour I require and finishing with clear on the last couple of coats? (It looks like this is how Fender have done it).

Thanks for the help so far...The advise is going to help me a lot.

Thanks

Alfie