Im after a tube head that provides a good metal tone (eg killswitch engage, machine head, BFMV, In Flames, etc) without breaking my bank (too much). Been looking at the Laney GH50L head. Ive heard they are very versitile, and they have pretty good reviews, but do they do metal well, particularly the sort of bands tones I mentioned? Ive owned a cheap tube amp before (Randall RH50T) and to me it sounded cheap and tacky. I only wanna go for this head if it has a good quality tone. in one review I saw the guy said he owned a boogie and a triple xxx as well as the laney and the laney sounded very similar to these 2 amps, is there any truth in this statement or was the guy talking crap?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
I'd say that it can do it. i dont think it could give out teh br00talz like a recto though
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Ive got one, it goes heavy, more of a classic british tone tohugh, can get a good metallica sound for example, rather than more modern stuff.
Ibanez SA160
'63 Hagstrom Futurama II
Laney GH50L + cab
Opeth use Laney GH100L's along with Boss GT-8s I believe. So yeah, I'm pretty sure they can do metal well. I've also heard good reviews of them doing good metal tones. Maybe try YouTube to get a clip? They're always crap quality but can sometimes give you a bit of an idea.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Opeth use Laney GH100L's along with Boss GT-8s I believe. So yeah, I'm pretty sure they can do metal well.

That's VH100Ls and GT6s.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Opeth use Laney GH100L's along with Boss GT-8s I believe. So yeah, I'm pretty sure they can do metal well. I've also heard good reviews of them doing good metal tones. Maybe try YouTube to get a clip? They're always crap quality but can sometimes give you a bit of an idea.

Yeah ive checked youtube but all the clips ive looked at arent very good quality. Do you know if Opeth boost their GH100L's or do they run straight into them? Im guessing they use the boss unit for cleans?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by CanCan
That's VH100Ls and GT6s.

on Mikael Åkerfeldt's wikipedia page it says under amps:

Laney GH100L with cabinet
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by CanCan
That's VH100Ls and GT6s.

I'm pretty sure they have both a GT-6 and a GT-8, but mainly use the 8.

And sorry, I don't know how they use their gear exactly, so I really can't be of much more help...
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by kool98769
I'd say that it can do it. i dont think it could give out teh br00talz like a recto though

Yes, yes they can be VERY br00talz. I compared mine with one of my teacher's at school's Mesa Single Rectifier and they sounded very similar, except the GH50L sounded less compressed and more natural.
Quote by tombo32
Yes, yes they can be VERY br00talz. I compared mine with one of my teacher's at school's Mesa Single Rectifier and they sounded very similar, except the GH50L sounded less compressed and more natural.

really?
Hah, good to know.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
If they're metal enough for Opeth, they're metal enough for anyone.

Although, I've heard the low end isn't the tightest, but a tube screamer could help that for sure.

All the clips I've seen on youtube of people doing teh br00talz on them sounded pretty decent.
Try one out for yourself, that's the only way you'll know if its for you.