So I'm looking at getting a new guitar for heavy metal. I keep seeing that some guitars come with jumbo or extra jumbo frets, what does that technically mean? Is that the gauge of the wire?? Also, coming from playing a Les Paul, will this be radically different from what I'm used to? what are some advantages or disadvantages to the extra jumbos...
Yes, that's the gauge of the fretwire. It might be a little different, because since the frets are higher and wider, pushing too far down will pull the notes sharp a bit. XJ frets tend to be good for shred and faster music, because you don't have to use as much strength to sound each note, allowing you to move along the fretboard faster and easier. Overall, it shouldn't be radically different from your LP, and you should get used to it relatively quick.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
was just searching around various companies for fretwire info, and it seems that extra jumbo fretwire is more suited towards metal.

medium/jumbo etc is the thickness of the fretwire itself. say on telecasters you get medium frets (quite small) and on ibanez you get jumbo. there is no such thing as large. just jumbo for some reason.

for example, kirk hammetts signature guitars all use extra jumbo frets. all ibanez use jumbo and gibsons traditionally lean towards medium/ large (not either, its a gibson thing where the fret size is between medium and jumbo).

i had extra jumbo on a 7 string dean i had once. to be honest, it was ok, but for solos and high-up stuff, it wasnt suited at all.

all i can say is go to your local shop and ask to go on a series of guitars with different fret sizes. and take it from there. start on medium. then the gibson mixture. then jumbo. then extra jumbo. personally id go for jumbo.

hope that helped. long winded, but hey, the infos there.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
The bigger the fretwire, the easier it is to bend (generally).

The difference in feel is not something that is easily explained; you just have to try different sizes for yourself. I've got small, medium jumbo, and extra jumbo on my guitars, and I can't even say what I prefer.
I use bass fret wire on my strats. Much easier to bend but remember a les paul has a very flat neck compared to some other rediused neck guitars. So not a lot of guitars play like a paul.
Quote by modernp
I use bass fret wire on my strats. Much easier to bend but remember a les paul has a very flat neck compared to some other rediused neck guitars. So not a lot of guitars play like a paul.

Sure, the Les Paul radius is flatter than many Fenders, for example, but it's definitely not something uncommon or exclusive for that particular model. Many guitars have even flatter radii.
All I'm saying is a les paul has a unique feeling fret board compared to a lot of other guitars. I have 3 other guitars with a 15 1/2 inch radius and none play like a les paul.
Quote by modernp
All I'm saying is a les paul has a unique feeling fret board compared to a lot of other guitars. I have 3 other guitars with a 15 1/2 inch radius and none play like a les paul.

Have you considered scale length? A guitar(neck) with identical scale length and fret size would surely feel very similar.
Personally, I cant play les pauls with gibsons factory set up. The frets are too low and too wide for me, my fingers slip right out from under the string when I go for a bend. Its all personal preference, but I prefer a much bigger fret.... or the traditional skinny but tall Fender fret wire.
One thing about frets to remember... if you're struggling to bend, because you dont like the frets, this will lead trying to compensate by gripping the neck even harder... and lead to hand fatigue.
So the post above, about just trying various guitars to see what you like, is good advice.

------------------
http://www.myspace.com/amazingdisgracetheband
Quote by mr_hankey
Have you considered scale length? A guitar(neck) with identical scale length and fret size would surely feel very similar.

Two have the same scale leghth one doesn't Two have different neck woods one the same. And none of them play like the Les paul. And I don't even care for them I have always been a strat man. But some songs you just have to have humbuckers
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd